Impulse buying

I do semi-impulse shopping: I'll happen upon a sale and buy something, but I'd been researching for months and know I have that much available to spend.

bought a house at an auction without even looking at it or know where it was. i was a good buy. i just don't recomended to anyone.

enuff

Uhh - went to yarn store to buy yarn for sweater for friend and walked out with two skeins of *awesome* cashmere at $33 apiece for 95 yards for a scarf for me - does mulling over it for 30-60 minutes in the store count:confused::confused:??

Actually, I've been buying yarn for years and this is some of the most amazing cashmere I've ever felt - most wool makes me itch -this does not - probably why it costs so much - extra long hairs from those Kasmir goats.

Dang, I forgot about the suit. About 9 years ago I went to buy a couple of shirts off the 'sale' rack at a men's clothing store that I REALLY like. $1650 later, I walked out with a suit, a sport coat, a couple of shirts and a couple of ties.....NOTHING from the 'sale' rack! And it wasn't from sales pressure either. The clerk (owner) brought me a cup of coffee, and told me if I needed assistance to holler.

I still really like that place! How many clothing stores have a coffee bar?! I ought to go back up there before Christmas, and check out the 'sale' rack. Many times their out-of-season stuff goes for 10¢ on the $1, and I can always use another Hawaiian floweredy shirt! :D

Oh no! Now I have contributed to delaying your FIRE!

Oh no! Now I have contributed to delaying your FIRE!

Nope...been FIRE'd since the first week of April!

However, since I'm not into suits anymore (literally), I'm donating everything to a local resale shop that funds the local hospital auxiliary. I'm keeping 2 sport coats to wear to "formal" events (1 light weight for spring/summer & 1 corduroy for fall/winter).

Last summer I bought a Toyota Tundra, 4 door. I went looking for a Tacoma 4 door with a v6, but after lookingth around for a while, I found that the Tundra was actually cheaper with the incentives, and with the 5.7L V8 it can pull about 4000lbs more (amazing 381 HP)...and the gas mileage is only about 1mpg lower than the Tacoma. That's about as impulsive as I get...getting a better deal for something better than I planned on...

Rambler

My boots are 6-7 years old. Going to work, my husband saw my shoes and said...you need new ones. Where's the ferragamo I bought you? Well...I don't like it very much, it wasn't my choice. Last week, I went out with our 5 months old baby, a store is having a sale and I just happen to be in "mood" I usually decide long and hard to purchase something. This time, BAM...! came out with 2 pairs...fortunately it's not some "expensive" brand like LV, GUcci....so we're safe here :)

I do semi-impulse shopping: I'll happen upon a sale and buy something, but I'd been researching for months and know I have that much available to spend.

That's more like "fortune favours the prepared". :)

I agree. DW and I typically do research and know the 'look' that we want for furniture and home decorations.

Once we were looking for a piece for a room for several months. Wandering through a Hobby Lobby while DW was buying her craft stuff, I happened to wander by the perfect piece. I went to DW and told her I'd found the right one. She was sceptical - until she saw it.

We bought it and took it home.

DW does NOT do redecorating - she thinks long and hard beforehand on what she really wants! :angel:

Friends invited us to FAO Schwartz, the expensive toy store, because they were having a fundraiser/silent auction and our NFL team were going to have players there. We left with a framed jersey for $450. It's in our living room wall, probably too prominent, but it's the most expensive "art work" we own. You folks have some great stories. Most of my impulsive buys are like Starbucks frappuchino or sashimi at the grocery store.

On Black Friday this year I wasn't planning on doing any shopping, but happenned to be driving past an outlet mall and decided to check and see what was going on. There were some amazing deals and I ended up shopping 5 hours and spending about $400. I purchased lots of things that I needed anyway at great prices. I did notice a trend though: the items purchased towards the end of the shopping marathon were much less useful than the ones purchased at the beginning. One of the last items I purchased were some good looking italian style shoes. At $40 they seemed like a great deal, until I got them home and realized I hadn't even looked at the soles. The soles are house-slipper-style nubs, completely unsuitable for wearing outside the house. So now I have a pair of shoes that are way too stylish and tight fitting to wear comfortably around the house but that's the only place I can wear them. Considering it would take 2.5 hours roundtrip to return them plus gas, I think they're going to end up sitting in the closet for a while before I resign myself to giving them away to Salvation Army. My only solace is that I feel like I understand women a little better now.

Back
Top Bottom