Impulse buying

If you're an impulse buyer, dont ever look at the fatwallet web site.

Clearly its a communicable disease that uses TCP/IP as a transmission mechanism, and the carrier need not be infected. I got Martha to buy pyrex that I didnt buy... ;)

Lets see if infectious transmission is possible...

Anyone ever wanted some of those nice Le Creuset enameled cast iron pans but didnt feel like paying $140 per pot?

Go to amazon and search for "lodge cast iron enamel" and load up. These are actually slightly heavier gauge than the Le Creusets, have a similar enameling process, and sell for a good discount. Target also carries them, and I hear you can find them here and there at Marshalls/TJ Maxx. Lodge is one of the oldest makers of cast iron cookware. If you have a product problem within the warranty period, they send you a new one and a UPS label to send the old one back.

Muhahahahaaahaaaa

For me maybe $1200-1500 for a suit. That would be highly unusual though. Most of my impulse buys are books, CDs, or sheet music. In fact, most of my purchases are books, CDs, or sheet music. Any other shopping I usually look at as a chore and have to force myself to do it.

About 15 years ago I was working my territory(as a rep at that time) and was in the Long beach area. I had about 45 minutes until my next appointment and stopped to look at some sailboats that were for sale. I ended up buying a 27 footer......
I put it in a slip in Marina Del Rey and it became my condo on the water and my booze cruiser(I lived in land - at Rancho Cucamonga at the time). I had a blast on that boat and sold it for close to what I had paid for it.
Wish I had kept it - it would be perfect for Lake Tahoe.

If you're an impulse buyer, dont ever look at the fatwallet web site.

OK, obviously I have a defective shopping gene. That site is boring to me.

Anyone ever wanted some of those nice Le Creuset enameled cast iron pans

No. I have no desire for new pans, and they sound heavy. I don't have much time to cook anyway, while I'm working. I'd rather put the money in my ER fund.

Never ever go on ebay when you are sipping wine .I've ended up with several Little souls dolls .They go for $150 and up . I do like them a lot .

Lets see if infectious transmission is possible...

200204981-001.jpg

Na!Na!Na!Na!Na!Na!

Twelve years ago....one kitten (at animal shelter).

Sixteen years ago...two kittens (at animal shelter).

Actually, the best pans in the world are good old cast iron pans. You want old because the insides should be nice and smooth. If well seasoned, they are far more non-stick than Teflon and they last forever. We have a large collection of iron pans, the biggest of which somehow managed to fall off a steam boat somewhere sometime. I do like my Griswold pans.

And yes, you can use soap to clean seasoned pans. Just be sure to dry them as soon as you are done washing the pan.

Went to a fundraiser assuming my contribution was the price of my dinner. They had an auction. There was a beautiful original watercolor of an Arabian stallion. My hand kept raising during bidding. My 9 hour drive home included said picture for $550. That was almost 20 years ago. I just recently gave it to my daughter since we are downsizing and I have nowhere to hang it. It was a beautiful piece and the first original artwork I owned. Funny thing is, years later I bought a horse and this stallion was its great-grandsire.

... it had a
combination lock... and no one knew the combination... but
I bought it anyway... I put it away for a few weeks, then one
night I was determined to open it... so I began at 000 and one
digit at a time I moved the lock up to the 600s before one side
opened... then I had the same fun with the other side...

Worked on a found bike lock. Started at 000. The combination turned out to be in the high 900s! Oh well. :rolleyes:

For me maybe $1200-1500 for a suit.

Dang, I forgot about the suit. About 9 years ago I went to buy a couple of shirts off the 'sale' rack at a men's clothing store that I REALLY like. $1650 later, I walked out with a suit, a sport coat, a couple of shirts and a couple of ties.....NOTHING from the 'sale' rack! And it wasn't from sales pressure either. The clerk (owner) brought me a cup of coffee, and told me if I needed assistance to holler.

I still really like that place! How many clothing stores have a coffee bar?! I ought to go back up there before Christmas, and check out the 'sale' rack. Many times their out-of-season stuff goes for 10¢ on the $1, and I can always use another Hawaiian floweredy shirt! :D

I'm much more impulsive buying gifts for other people . One Christmas I stopped at a Sports store on the way to a party and bought my SO a kayak . I also treated my Mom,my aunt and my daughter to a cruise to Bermuda .Another Christmas I gave my SO a shaving kit with two tickets to a New Orleans trip inside .Call me impulsive .It's the best money I spend .

Rugs. Worn Old Beauties. That's something we gave ourselves permission to be frivolous about. Cost has not been a measure of value: IMO our finest is a beat up Balouch prayer that cost me a whole $50 and is utterly charming: SKY Pottery She's a pretty good potter: SKY Pottery

Our most shameful cost $5000 at auction - a big nasty Hamadan that has been acid washed. Blame it on Halogen lights and my honey's Bulldog personality. She's so embarasssed about that purchase that it stays out above the garage - she had it on the floor next to her pottery studio grinding clay dust into it.
My impulse buys tend to have been property, but i could always convince myself they were money making propositions (and sure enough, with enough extra money and work, they have been!). I am a sucker for a crusty old Griswold pan that i can clean up - still need a #6 and a #9. Martha's right - there is no better, whether old (small stamp), or real old (big stamp).

Last edited:
My own impulse buys have been dogs. When I was first married we discussed getting a dog and decided against it because our living situation was just too unsettled. Then a buddy showed up with a little black lab pup and asked if we I would like it. I blurted out yes, so now we had a dog. My wife didn't speak up against it, so we didn't call him back and say we couldn’t do it. 12 years and many hunting forays later we had to put him down. Wonderful dog.

Other impulse was also a "dog", this one a freebie. He was hanging around out side our gate with a shotgun pellet wound on his side and a muzzle full of porcupine quills. We trussed him up and I pulled out the quills, and he became ours by mutual consent. Later our vet told us he wasn't a dog at all, but instead an arctic wolf. He was also a great pet, and we had him many years until he also had to be put down. He wouldn’t touch dog food. Mainly he ate mice from our field, and some meat if we gave it to him. He also didn’t bark. I am not even sure that he could bark. Great howl though!

I don't think i have ever made an impulse buy besides these, except small things that my kids wanted.

Ha

I remember that I used to be pretty bad about impulse buying in my 20s. When I got real serious about saving and investing in my 30s, the impulse buying went way down. Maybe I was too busy working as well? When we got rid of most of our "stuff" in our 40s (to move into a motorhome), my impulse buying really got nipped in the bud. After the pain of getting rid of lots of stuff PLUS not having anywhere to put it, stuff is a turnoff. Now my impulse buying is really small potatoes - an extra book here (which will be exchanged), a music download there, an extra bottle of wine, a stop at a bakery, etc. Pretty much consumable zero maintenance items.

Went to a fundraiser assuming my contribution was the price of my dinner. They had an auction. There was a beautiful original watercolor of an Arabian stallion. My hand kept raising during bidding. My 9 hour drive home included said picture for $550. That was almost 20 years ago. I just recently gave it to my daughter since we are downsizing and I have nowhere to hang it. It was a beautiful piece and the first original artwork I owned. Funny thing is, years later I bought a horse and this stallion was its great-grandsire.
Wow - what an awesome story! Kind of twilight zone - no?

Audrey

I went to Florence in 2000 and planned to buy a leather jacket. I did, and then about 10 minutes later bought a $110 gold ring that I still wear to this day.

I bought a hand-woven rug in Ronda in Spain in 2004 that I had to carry in a plastic bag because I had traveled there with a 22' suitcase and a backpack, and they couldn't ship it. It was a bargain at $40.

Oh, and I ended up buying a throw blanket with Air Force One on it because it was a charity event and a friend of mine donated it to the cause. I got that for $120. Wine was definitely involved in that one! :)

Back
Top Bottom