In FIRECalc, why does CSP provide better result than % of Remaining Portfolio Model?

nico08

Recycles dryer sheets
In FIRECalc, why do I get a better spending result using the Constant Spending Power Spending Model rather than the Percentage of Remaining Portfolio Spending Model?

I kept all variables in FIRECalc the same. In the Investigate Section, I used the choice- given a success rate, determine a spending level for a set portfolio. I used search for settings that will get a success rate of 95 percent by changing spending level.

When I used the Constant Spending Power Spending Model (in the Spending Models Section), I got $26,944 with a 95 percent success rate.

When I used the Percentage of Remaining Portfolio Model (in the Spending Models Section), I got $24,619 with a 95 percent success rate.

If the Constant Spending Power Spending Model produces a higher annual return with the same success rate as the Percentage of Remaining Portfolio Model, then what would be my motivation to use the Percentage of Remaining Portfolio Model?

Back
Top Bottom