In Retirement, Too, Money Isn't Everything

You know, maybe this is all bigger.

Maybe there is some kind of inherent human prejudice that an individual must be dependent upon human organizations for what they need in terms of social interaction, purpose, fulfillment, being entertained, mental stimulation, challenge, etc.

There is societal propaganda that implies that an individual cannot truly stand on their own and be "fulfilled". That they need someone else, some "higher authority" to tell them what to do, give them purpose, show them the way, approve their behavior, sanction their choices, etc, etc.

Human organizations attempt to exert this kind of pressure all the time to control people. This is something most of us grow out of as we become adults and seek to follow our own path (assuming the culture we grow up in allows it). I suppose we have to think of societal pressures and prejudices as part of why human organizations exist. They definitely have their place - a group cooperating survives much more effectively than an individual functioning alone. So it seems to be a natural byproduct of human evolution.

Still....... somehow actually believing the propaganda seems so soul destroying.....

Audrey

I sew quilts and I read the typical hobby magazines for quilters. A few years ago, one ran an article on how to be more creative. One suggestion was to try using fabrics differently, for instance, by incorporating the backs of fabrics instead of the fronts into quilt designs.

The suggestion was a little out there--it isn't called the "wrong side" for nothing, in my opinion. But sure enough, the next time I went to a big quilting seminar probably half of the attendees had dutifully incorporated upside-down fabric into their designs, and the presenters were earnestly encouraging everyone to try expanding their horizons by trying this new technique.

Being told how to be creative isn't for me, but it worked for other people so I won't put it down. Being told how to find meaning and purpose in life strikes me the same way.

(emphasis mine)
When I reach ER, I intend to have fun as well. If I find that I have a purpose in life, then so be it, but I do not plan to push the envelope looking for one.
w2r, I agree wholeheartedly. Although I could honestly say that my purpose in life is to have fun, enjoy myself, my family and friends, and relax. ... and anything else I want to do.

For the 1st 20 so years in life, my purpose (although sometimes I did not think so), was to get educated and learn how to get through life. The next 20 or so years was to earn a living so I could adequately raise my famly and save for our future. Now that I am at retirement I think I have the right to do what I want to do... not what others dictate... but I've always been a contrarian of sorts (as are most forum members, I believe).

Selfish? d*nm right... and IMO have earned it. >:D

Wow, you guys have really gone overboard with unwarranted criticism. I saw nothing in the article that stated one should not retire and keep working forever. Did I blow the link?
a possibility .:cool:

OK, I'll just put out the OPPOSITE of what was in the article. You should see how ludricous what I write is:

Making Plans: Don't make any plans to retire. You don't have to worry about whether you will have enough money at all. Just do it.

Finding Purpose: Just retire. You don't need to have a purpose. You can lay in bed all day while watching TV and surfing the internet with your laptop. You won't ever get bored. It's awesome!

Staying Sharp: Any intellectual stimulation is to be avoided. Even reading this post is too much stimulation for you, so you might as well stop here.

Keeping Company: You don't need any camaraderie. You can be a hermit and/or misanthrope. Don't look that word up, it's too much intellectual stimulation and could blow your blissful retirement.

Talking It Through: No need to discuss retirement with your spouse. You want to keep them clueless.

Staying Healthy: What's the point? You are laying in bed watching TV, stuffing your face with junk food like Cheet-ohs (puffed beaver cheese?), maybe drinking beer until you fall asleep. You don't need to be healthy. You ain't gonna be talking to your spouse or interacting with anybody else anyways.
hey LOL, it's almost like you're defending yourself from a personal attack. I think that your examples, although on point, are the extremes, as are some of the authors points. It suggests that we (the readers) are stupid sloths that don't know how to think. IMO, each of us has flaws and blindspots that probably are 'highlighted' in the article. But in general, most people, and especially those of us that participate on this forum, don't fall into the authors characterizations. Hence the 'objections'.

You know, maybe this is all bigger.

Maybe there is some kind of inherent human prejudice that an individual must be dependent upon human organizations for what they need in terms of social interaction, purpose, fulfillment, being entertained, mental stimulation, challenge, etc.

There is societal propaganda that implies that an individual cannot truly stand on their own and be "fulfilled". That they need someone else, some "higher authority" to tell them what to do, give them purpose, show them the way, approve their behavior, sanction their choices, etc, etc.

Human organizations attempt to exert this kind of pressure all the time to control people. This is something most of us grow out of as we become adults and seek to follow our own path (assuming the culture we grow up in allows it). I suppose we have to think of societal pressures and prejudices as part of why human organizations exist. They definitely have their place - a group cooperating survives much more effectively than an individual functioning alone. So it seems to be a natural byproduct of human evolution.

Still....... somehow actually believing the propaganda seems so soul destroying.....

Audrey
You may be on to something here Audrey.
self
family
community
nation
humanity

It's seems that it is the propaganda part that sucks the lifeblood out of us ...

w2r, I agree wholeheartedly. Although I could honestly say that my purpose in life is to have fun, enjoy myself, my family and friends, and relax. ... and anything else I want to do.

.....Now that I am at retirement I think I have the right to do what I want to do... not what others dictate... but I've always been a contrarian of sorts (as are most forum members, I believe).

Selfish? d*nm right... and IMO have earned it. >:D

Nicely stated! I think my purpose in life, is to have no purpose in life, and to drift aimlessly wherever the winds, waves, and whims may take me! Ain't life grand?! :D

Nicely stated! I think my purpose in life, is to have no purpose in life, and to drift aimlessly wherever the winds, waves, and whims may take me! Ain't life grand?! :D

Hear, hear!! I couldn't agree more, with both of you. :D

! I think my purpose in life, is to have no purpose in life, and to drift aimlessly wherever the winds, waves, and whims may take me! Ain't life grand?! :D

[GLOUT ON] YES IT IS Goonie. YES IT IS. :D [GLOUT OFF]
sorry I couldn't help myself >:D

Back
Top Bottom