Income Investing Ideas???

cb7010

Recycles dryer sheets
Traditionally, my preferred investing strategy for income was in common stock in large, stable dividend producing companies.

While there are still plenty of these companies out there with appealing yields in today's market; I am getting a little scared every time I see an article by a market prognosticator suggesting that all of the bailouts and money printing can only lead to another bubble and sharp market sell-off.

With the wild swings in the market, it makes me a little nervous than I may have been historically to sink my money into common equities at all. Sure a 4-6% payout is fine, but if the underlying stock price declines by 30%, it will take a lot of years to recoup the loss.

So, where are some other income investments I might want to look into:confused:

I have invested in a non-traded REIT. It pays a 6% dividend and, obviously, doesn't trade on the stock market. You can buy them from most financial planners.

as for yield..the easy answer is as much as possible! But, on the surface there are a variety of traditionally stable dividend payers yielding in the 4-6% range and that would be fine with me.

Traditionally, my preferred investing strategy for income was in common stock in large, stable dividend producing companies.

While there are still plenty of these companies out there with appealing yields in today's market; I am getting a little scared every time I see an article by a market prognosticator suggesting that all of the bailouts and money printing can only lead to another bubble and sharp market sell-off.

With the wild swings in the market, it makes me a little nervous than I may have been historically to sink my money into common equities at all. Sure a 4-6% payout is fine, but if the underlying stock price declines by 30%, it will take a lot of years to recoup the loss.

So, where are some other income investments I might want to look into:confused:

Rental property. I diversified back in 1997 by buying a two family home. I rent out the downstairs apartment for $1200/month. The mortgage is almost paid off and after some renovations that I plan I'll get $1800/month. It's good to know that I can count on that income every month

Back
Top Bottom