Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
If you understood how PV works, you would understand ERD50's answers, which are quite a bit more polite than yours. I fail to see how your post here moves the dialog along in any useful way.
Kind of like a "sigh"?

What I am saying is the website (any website) uses input from the user to produce output (charts). Blaming a website for output data is absurd.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2021, 02:27 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyveoil View Post
Your chart / your time frame. Simple as that. Gotta love someone blaming chart output on the "website".
Come on you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2021, 02:46 PM   #83

MOD NOTE:
As we have said many times here, it's perfectly possible to disagree without being disagreeable. Showing respect for others' opinions and countering facts with other facts instead of dismissing them out of hand is not only possible but appreciated.
Old 05-25-2021, 03:53 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Your chart / your time frame. Simple as that. Gotta love someone blaming chart output on the "website".
No, you're not understanding. ERD did not pick the timeframe. The website goes back as far as it has data for.... so the start is typically the beginning of the newest fund/ETF listed.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 05-25-2021, 04:41 PM   #85
gone traveling

Here are some Morgan Housel thoughts that are germane to this debate.

https://www.collaborativefund.com/bl...your-own-game/
Old 05-25-2021, 06:42 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasShrugged View Post

Thanks for posting this. Interesting and kinda my view. I have feet in both camps, and to add confusion, I write cash covered puts on certain dividend payers as the dividend provides a floor under "normal" conditions. When I'm put into something I sit back enjoy the dividend and write calls on the equity to juice the return. Benchmark that!
Old 05-25-2021, 06:43 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasShrugged View Post

Interesting, thanks for posting. But I'm not sure it is relevant to the debate.

But first, I see that Daniel Kahneman was mentioned. I'm a big fan of his writings on behavioral economics (the inspiration for the Freakonomics series). But that section seems a bit odd.

Quote:
Daniel Kahneman once told his financial advisor that he had no desire to become richer; he just wanted maintain a lifestyle he was satisfied with. She told him, ďI canít work with you.Ē
? All he wanted was capital preservation as a goal. What's so hard about understanding that? There are certainly ways to build a portfolio that would be geared towards preservation rather than growth. Why turn down his business? Heck, I'd do it for free, just to get a chance to chat with him!

But to the meat of that article (I assume this is what you are referring to, you didn't post your thoughts on it),

Quote:
A big problem in investing is that we treat it like itís math, where 2+2=4 for me and you and everyone Ė thereís one right answer. But I think itís actually something closer to sports, where equally smart and talented people do things completely differently depending on what game theyíre playing.

What you want might not be what I want.

So hereís my advice.

1. Judge less. ...
Keeping with the sports analogy, I think that misses the target.

Certainly, different people can have different goals. That's fine and to be expected. But that's not the same as 2+2=4, one answer.

Whether or not people have different goals, 2+2 still equals 4. Maybe they don't want to add 2 and 2, but that doesn't change the answer. There is still only one right answer.

So if someone want to focus on one sector of the market, that's their choice. But if they are going to post here, and say that that sector does things that the data has shown it has not done, then we are back to 2+2=4. It does not equal 5, or 3, regardless of your investing goals/style/risk-tolerance.

Here's another parallel to the thread about cars with incredible 0-60 acceleration (and let's stick to ICE cars to keep this comparison simple). Some of us don't care about owning a car that can do 0-60 in 3 seconds, and some do. That's personal preference, and it's all good.

But if the 3 second guy claims he gets 40 mpg while doing these runs, he better have some data to back it up. Or of the 40 mpg guy claims his car does 0-60 in 3 seconds, he better have some data to back it up.

It's not about choices, it's about presenting accurate, meaningful information.

-ERD50
Old 05-25-2021, 06:52 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Quote:
No, you're not understanding. ERD did not pick the timeframe. The website goes back as far as it has data for.... so the start is typically the beginning of the newest fund/ETF listed.
olyveoil, I'm trying to present some meaningful data and information here. There is no way to present meaningful data for a fund/ETF before it existed.

And no one has offered up tickers for funds/ETFs that go back further than my list, despite my multiple requests.

I can only hope, as pb4uski offers, that you misunderstand what this chart represents. A misunderstanding can be corrected (if the individual is open minded). The only other explanations I can think of are not as charitable.

-ERD50
Old 05-26-2021, 05:33 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
This is really simple.
Pick different inputs. IE an older fund.
Or not.

Good luck to the OP.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:41 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is really simple.
Pick different inputs. IE an older fund.
Or not.

Good luck to the OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
....I'll ask again, can you give me some available div-focused funds/ETFs with a longer history? I'll gladly run the data on them.

-ERD50
Yes, and ERD invited olyveoil to provide older dividend focused funds or ETFs and olyveoil failed to rise to the opportunity.

olyveoil reminds me of that scene in "A Few Good Men"...

The truth is that the data suggests that a focus on dividend payers rather than broad based portfolios slightly underperforms looking at 3 and 5 year rolling average returns. What is interesting is that the difference is negligible from 2012 to 2014... widened slightly from 2014 to early 2020... and then widened more significantly since the covid crash in 2020.

Now that said, I'm not a dividend naysayer... if someone wants to focus on dividend payers then that's fine... its their money to invest as they wish... but the data suggests that the strategy is slightly suboptimal compared to a total return strategy.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/...ocation10_2=15
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (121.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (131.2 KB, 27 views)

Old 05-26-2021, 07:02 AM   #91

Drawing broad conclusions about relative investment performance over time while considering only what I call the "Fed Era" i.e. 2008 forward, seems a bit, well, short sighted does it not?
Old 05-26-2021, 07:15 AM   #92

I donít doubt that broad based dividend paying funds may underperform a total return fund. But I do believe selective dividend growing stocks will outperform a total return fund over the long haul. Companies that raise their dividend every year show they are healthy companies, especially those that have raised dividends for 15+ consecutive years.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:18 AM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes, and ERD invited olyveoil to provide older dividend focused funds or ETFs and olyveoil failed to rise to the opportunity.

olyveoil reminds me of that scene in "A Few Good Men"...

The truth is that the data suggests that a focus on dividend payers rather than broad based portfolios slightly underperforms looking at 3 and 5 year rolling average returns. What is interesting is that the difference is negligible from 2012 to 2014... widened slightly from 2014 to early 2020... and then widened more significantly since the covid crash in 2020.

Now that said, I'm not a dividend naysayer... if someone wants to focus on dividend payers then that's fine... its their money to invest as they wish... but the data suggests that the strategy is slightly suboptimal compared to a total return strategy.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/...ocation10_2=15
What I refuse to accept are 3 things
1.) a website is responsible for human inputs
2.) The truth is not as presented comparing investments over an extended bull market
3.) I am not advocating focusing solely on dividend payers. Again....for the umpteenth time...I believe dividend payers are part of a portfolio. I also explained the exact percentage. IE the "Truth" being presented is based on a strawman / false premise. But you are welcome to keep repeating it.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:20 AM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Drawing broad conclusions about relative investment performance over time while considering only what I call the "Fed Era" i.e. 2008 forward, seems a bit, well, short sighted does it not?
Of course it does. But it seems like repeating it over and over makes some people believe everyone else should take as gospel.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:21 AM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I donít doubt that broad based dividend paying funds may underperform a total return fund. But I do believe selective dividend growing stocks will outperform a total return fund over the long haul. Companies that raise their dividend every year show they are healthy companies, especially those that have raised dividends for 15+ consecutive years.
I concur. Yield on cost being a metric. Not for everyone, though to keep up with it all.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:52 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Quote:
Of course it does. But it seems like repeating it over and over makes some people believe everyone else should take as gospel.
I think it depends on whether you think the "Fed Era" will ever end and if so, when.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:53 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I don’t doubt that broad based dividend paying funds may underperform a total return fund. But I do believe selective dividend growing stocks will outperform a total return fund over the long haul. Companies that raise their dividend every year show they are healthy companies, especially those that have raised dividends for 15+ consecutive years.
I tend to agree, just like good stock pickers can outperform an index... but we know how that works out.

Care to share 5-10 tickers?

Old 05-26-2021, 09:52 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Yield on cost being a metric. ...
Sunk cost fallacy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost Neither the market nor your portfolio knows or cares what you paid for things. Absent tax considerations, every day is tabula rasa for an intelligent investor.

(Note, this comment is for others. Miss Oill will blow it off.)
Old 05-26-2021, 10:30 AM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Sunk cost fallacy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost Neither the market nor your portfolio knows or cares what you paid for things. Absent tax considerations, every day is tabula rasa for an intelligent investor.

(Note, this comment is for others. Miss Oill will blow it off.)
How does the sunk cost fallacy apply to yield on cost for dividend payers but not on total return stocks/MF's?

Again, yield on cost is a METRIC. Just as unrealized gains are a METRIC.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:31 AM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I tend to agree, just like good stock pickers can outperform an index... but we know how that works out.

Care to share 5-10 tickers?
Tickers I own.

NEWT
GAIN
ABBV
HRC
MRK
C
PSX
MPC
QYLD
BMY