Join Early Retirement Today

Income sources
Old 02-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Income sources

In the current AARP magazine is a very well-written article called "Earn Extra Money -- Fast!" (I wanted to use that in the Subject line of this post but figured it would attract the SPAM police.)

Anyway, there are ten suggested ways to "boost your bank account" -- including quite a number of resources.

Quote:
Whether it's to splurge on a nice dinner or pare your credit card debt, another source of income can bring much-needed cash when times are tight. ... You can do it, too. Some entertaining ways to earn extra money:
In fact, some of the suggested methods would be attractive even if you weren't paid -- just to "keep one busy."
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

There are at least two suggestions where you better be sure you have the porper insurance coverage before jumping in:

1. Tutoring

2. Runnng errands, including driving people in your car
Old 02-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
There are at least two suggestions where you better be sure you have the porper insurance coverage before jumping in:

1. Tutoring

2. Runnng errands, including driving people in your car

Tutoring?
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
Tutoring?
I'm thinking of working with children here, not tutoring other adults. Never spent time with other people's kids without liability coverage. These riders are available on most home owner's policies.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'm already doing two of them without thinking about it as income, although I'm making enough on #9 to add it to my income list.

2. Pet sitting, I live in an apt. so people beg to pay me something to stop in a couple of times a day while they are away.

9. Sell your stuff to de-clutter

Others things I do anyway that can add a small amount are jury duty and working the polls.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I'm already doing two of them without thinking about it as income,
If you're making money and not thinking about it as income (for tax purposes), it sounds like you've got potential to be a cabinet member!
Old 02-28-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If you're making money and not thinking about it as income (for tax purposes), it sounds like you've got potential to be a cabinet member!

Couldn't find the under-the-table smilie.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm thinking of working with children here, not tutoring other adults. Never spent time with other people's kids without liability coverage. These riders are available on most home owner's policies.
This is just too weird. Maybe Hobo is right- we should all get out of the USA and move to Indonesia. Save a lot on liability coverage, as well as housecleaning.

America would be hilarious if it weren't so destructive.

Ha
Old 02-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This is just too weird. Maybe Hobo is right- we should all get out of the USA and move to Indonesia. Save a lot on liability coverage, as well as housecleaning.

America would be hilarious if it weren't so destructive.

Ha
It sounds like someone needs a glass of wine.....
Old 02-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had one.

Saw a totally absurd TV program 10+ years ago. They were showing teachers at work and out on the playground some poor kid 5/6/7 years old had fallen and "skinned their knees" the school official would not touch the screaming bawiling child they held out their hand and maintained about a 6" space cushion while herding the poor kid toward the building where presumabaly the school nurse would care for the kid. They then flash forward to the union lawyer who is explaining to the room full of teachers why it is so important they never touch a child for liability sake.
It's only gotten worse since that viewing.
Personally I carry a healthy umbrella policy and after that just live life as it should be.