Join Early Retirement Today

income sweet spot
Old 07-17-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

income sweet spot

Just wondering if anyone has looked into the future and figured out how they plan to show income with the health care subsidies, and possible new tax rates.

I know its best to show as little as possible, but are you going to take more one year and then show less the next? Thus possibly getting the health care subsidy one year and not the next?
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
Just wondering if anyone has looked into the future and figured out how they plan to show income with the health care subsidies, and possible new tax rates.

I know its best to show as little as possible, but are you going to take more one year and then show less the next? Thus possibly getting the health care subsidy one year and not the next?
My plan is to manage income through ROTH conversion to the top of a tax bracket and that is it. Haven't decide to go to the top of 15% or 25% .... probably 25.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some analysis. But I am not sure what the tax situation will be after 2010... but it looks like there may be a bill coming.

No matter what it is... I am planning to roll money into Roth accounts over several years using the most tax efficient means available to me.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:53 AM   #4

I think the sweet spot will be under 29k.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I moved a bunch of cap gains into 2010, and this will lower future income and maybe even avoid future AMT taxes. I don't expect to get any health care insurance subsidies, I'm just trying to stay well under $200K annual income in the future to avoid higher margin taxes.

Audrey
Old 07-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm just trying to stay well under $200K annual income...
I can do that without even trying.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #7

Audrey, that's a good problem to have. (heh)
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I can do that without even trying.
I'm not going to have to try either - don't get me wrong!

But I did have to take some steps this year to avoid future potential large cap gains.

Audrey
Old 07-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Shouldn't my income sweet spot be my 4% SWR? Or is it 3% SWR? Have we reached the final verdict on that?

Anyway, that's may be a bit too low, for me that is. The market is not cooperating. I am gonna do part-time w*rk a bit longer.

No, not MANY MORE YEARS like a certain person has wished ill on me... ;-) Just a few more years...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Hard to say. I'm far enough away that I am hedging my bets in many different types of income with different types of tax treatment with the goal of maximizing overall income such that means-tested income for things like SS and health insurance subsidies is as low as possible consistent with a reasonable standard of living.

The clear trend to means testing and increasing the progressivity of taxes (as I think will have to happen) makes working longer to build more and more wealth less attractive. I'm not willing to live on poverty-level income to maximize benefits, but neither am I going to go out of my way to work more years when half of the extra nest egg (or more) from that extra work will be lost to taxes and lost means-tested SS and health care subsidies and when retiring with fewer years of w*rk is still feasible.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #11

The final health care rules are so far out that I'm not thinking explicitly about them. But I am moving trad IRA to Roth so that I have a mix of tax positions which may give me flexibility when the time comes.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote