Increase WR now and drop it down later

Just wondering out loud:
If you're SWR is 4% and one plans to WD 5% for a few years and then 3% later on, aren't you eating into your 4% by doing so? It's not linear. (I need mathjack here, I think)

I view it as the principle of the commons where X acres of forest would provide firewood for 10 families forever, but would provide firewood for 14 families for like 10 years.

IOW, if you overspend your nest egg early you can't go back to a linear number a few years from now and hope to go from there because your new starting point will be a lower number.

No?

Just wondering out loud:
If you're SWR is 4% and one plans to WD 5% for a few years and then 3% later on, aren't you eating into your 4% by doing so? It's not linear. (I need mathjack here, I think)

I view it as the principle of the commons where X acres of forest would provide firewood for 10 families forever, but would provide firewood for 14 families for like 10 years.

IOW, if you overspend your nest egg early you can't go back to a linear number a few years from now and hope to go from there because your new starting point will be a lower number.

No?
What you said is true. That's why you need to enter all that info into FIRECalc to get an idea.

As I mentioned, whether I claim SS at 62 or 70 does not make that much of a difference. When I delay to 70, my SS benefit goes up, but my own stash would be drained more than if I claim SS early.

Back
Top Bottom