Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Many posters here are polarizing-"people always say" or "nobody ever does". This really doesn't make sense. It is quite rare that always or never can accurately be used in statements about social or economic phenomena.

Also it is hard to admit, but the best informed among us are often ignorant of even the most important issues affecting some event.

I freely admit that about many things the best I can say is either -"I don't have enough information to form an opinion-(and often could not get the information anyway); or, "I really don't have the technical knowledge to deeply understand this issue." Given this, I understand that what I can know is limited, and so if I have strong opinions on one of these topics these opinions almost have to be based on emotion.

Ha
Ha, NICE avatar....is that the latest "lady of interest"

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great way to fuel the self-fulfilling prophecy.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't see how this London Times article is different than what you are reading in American media outlets, depending on what you read.

Have you seen CNBC lately?
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:04 AM   #24

If the rest of the world interprets our news the same way they interpret how we make hamburgers........I can see there might be a problem.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:04 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Martha, I'm a foreigner....sooooooo, can I take a hammer to the US? All kidding aside, even though I am from Argentina I feel and love the US a lot more then my country and I wouldn't trade the economic dealings of this country with that of mine. Now my mom is a different story as she is much more ingrained with the Argentine mentality. Being that she has $600,000 in bank CDs, she called me frantically yesterday and said...."little girl(she still calls this even though I'm 41), should I go close out some of my accounts tommorrow?" I replied, "mom, all your accounts are in FDIC banks and the money is distributed in different banks so as to be under the $100,000.)...I manage all her money so I make sure she never goes over the insurance amount. Any how, the conversation continued as she said almost hysterically, ".....butttttt, you remember what happened in Argentina with the banks closing down and people loosing all their savings in 2001?"...."yes mom, I do" ...I went on to say..."what will you do with the money anyways?" And as any good Argentinian she replied..."we could stuff a matter with it".
Nanita8140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by newporttony View Post
My wife's family is from Paris. I've spent the past 15 years defending our country. It's getting tiring.
I am running into more anti-american sentiment abroad. If the complaintant is civil and objective I try to discuss it objectively. If they are radicals, I respond with "Man your talking to the right guy, I personally ordered the troops into Iraq" or "Dude, your right and after all the Americans are gone, the Chinese (Iranians, Radical Muslims, take your pic) will certainly honor and respect you and the world will be a perfect place..."

It usually shuts them up

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:48 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
I am running into more anti-american sentiment abroad. If the complaintant is civil and objective I try to discuss it objectively. If they are radicals, I respond with "Man your talking to the right guy, I personally ordered the troops into Iraq" or "Dude, your right and after all the Americans are gone, the Chinese (Iranians, Radical Muslims, take your pic) will certainly honor and respect you and the world will be a perfect place..."

It usually shuts them up
Thanks for the support. Unfortunately my french in-laws live in the US (and have for 50 years) so I need to deal with the anti-Americanism here in America.
newporttony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by newporttony View Post
Thanks for the support. Unfortunately my french in-laws live in the US (and have for 50 years) so I need to deal with the anti-Americanism here in America.
Ah, trapped in the belly of the beast. Poor folks

FWIW, the lines at US embassies are longer than ever (locals applying for visas, etc.) For such a pack of blood thirsty savages, we're still pretty popular

Lance out

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote