Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-12-2022, 05:11 PM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I am seeing the biggest impact in fuel costs. DH and I like to take rides in the country at least every week, maybe take a picnic lunch. We are cutting that out and just having the picnic in our own yard.

We used to like to go to wine country for our get out of town days, but now I've been looking at things to do near the train and ferry stations. With senior fares, that is a lot cheaper these days.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2022, 10:48 AM   #202
Give me a forum ...

Petrol topped $4.50 here in North East Florida today. Glad we do not have to go to work every day in our gas guzzling truck like some plebs (AKA W$%rking stiffs) have to.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:35 AM   #203
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Petrol topped $4.50 here in North East Florida today. Glad we do not have to go to work every day in our gas guzzling truck like some plebs (AKA W$%rking stiffs) have to.
SF Bay Area has average Gas 87 for $5.60
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:58 AM   #204
Recycles dryer sheets

Last fall 2021 got an estimate to replace two sliding doors with Anderson,$9500,this was in a NJ beach town. March 2021 got one put in for $1900,same town. Oldmike
mf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:40 PM   #205
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFK57 View Post
I know that Jim Rickards is Gold promoter, yet he does not advise to keep Gold in more than 10% of anyone portfolio. However, how true is what he states about US$ future and statement that we are in depression, what will last longer than any depression or deep recessions before in history? Like many of us, I do nothing with our equities but wait till the Market/ economy improves. What do you think, how true Mr Rickards predictions?
https://jimrickards.blogspot.com/
We are not in a depression, nor a recession. People are actually wanting to spend too much money and the shortages due to China closing down from lockdowns, along with labor shortage in the US for trucking and shipping mean the opposite of a recession/depression.

In a recession or depression people cannot find work... look around, there are help wanted signs all over at nearly every store I visit, and they are paying twice minimum wage or more.

His dream of $15k / ounce for gold is purposefully vague, it won't get there in the next 20 yrs and maybe it will really be 100 years. Nobody knows. Possibly it will be nearly worthless within 100 years.

Seems to me the author is stoking fear, as fear makes people buy stuff from him or read his stuff from which he gets advertising revenue, and probably referral revenue if you click on things to buy.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:34 PM   #206
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
We are not in a depression, nor a recession. People are actually wanting to spend too much money and the shortages due to China closing down from lockdowns, along with labor shortage in the US for trucking and shipping mean the opposite of a recession/depression.

In a recession or depression people cannot find work... look around, there are help wanted signs all over at nearly every store I visit, and they are paying twice minimum wage or more.

His dream of $15k / ounce for gold is purposefully vague, it won't get there in the next 20 yrs and maybe it will really be 100 years. Nobody knows. Possibly it will be nearly worthless within 100 years.

Seems to me the author is stoking fear, as fear makes people buy stuff from him or read his stuff from which he gets advertising revenue, and probably referral revenue if you click on things to buy.
I know that all his Gold price predictions had never materialized and my question is about "our economy in a depression or sliding into it". I had seen many statements that we are in a Stagflation, when there is very little economic growth and same time we have a very high inflation. If the Feds continue raising rates, as per their last meeting, we surely push not so great economy deeper into recession (many articles in Bloomberg, Marcus, Market Watch etc.). Current inflation comes not from overheated economy, we all understand it. It is more from broken supply chains, Ukraine war with a Geopolitical split it caused, our enormous Debt and constant huge budget deficit.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:43 PM   #207
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

Trucking/shipping appears to be turning the corner according to the latest reports:

Quote:
In February, the DAT’s Load-to-Truck ratio, which represents the number of loads posted for every truck on the DAT Load Boards, began declining, after the dizzying heights last year and the high in January of 9.3 loads for every truck. In March, the ratio was down to 4.6, and in April it fell to 3.4 loads per truck posted on the load boards.

Similarly, the Supply-Demand Balance in ACT Research’s for-hire survey got less tight earlier this year. In April, for the first time since June 2020, capacity to ship freight exceeded demand for shipping freight.

Similarly, average US spot rates for hauling van trailers, after rising to $3.10 per mile in January 2022, have declined, and in April dropped to $2.79 per mile, according to DAT.
You can find the whole article here:

https://wolfstreet.com/2022/05/12/si...freight-cycle/
Old 05-20-2022, 05:02 PM   #208
Give me a forum ...

Well, I dunno about truckers, but motorists are not driving less. If they were, the price of gasoline would not be so high. And the summer driving season has not really started.

I saw that regular unleaded gas is $4.79/gal at Costco, and other gas stations are $4.99-$5.19. Crude oil is at $113/barrel.

Now, I remember crude got as high as $140 back in 2009 or so, but I don't remember seeing gasoline at $5+/gal in my area.

Maybe my memory is failing me?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote