Join Early Retirement Today

Inheritance and Illinois taxes
Old 01-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Inheritance and Illinois taxes

I am trying to decide what is actually going to be taxable in Illinois from my spouse's inheritance in 2020 so that I can make my estimated payment by the 15th. Our normal IL tax situation is so simple that I have never had to purchase a state Turbo Tax so I cannot use a previous year's version and I do not know when he will get his 1099s or whatever they will mail to him. I guess I could purchase this year's with the state if no one has any information that would help. Anyway, he was paid around
1. $1000 from Social Security since his mother's bank returned her last deposit. Normally SS is not taxed I think. We are both under 62 and have never had to worry about this before. Will IL tax the $1000?

2. $5000 as the death benefit on her teacher pension. I think pensions are not taxed but have no idea about death benefits. Neither of us have pensions so this is also new ground for us. Will IL tax the $5000?
Thanks for any guidance.
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2021, 01:49 PM   #2

I'm from IL and had to deal with inheritance before, but not those specifically. Since IL does not tax SS distributions or retirement income, I would not expect you to owe tax on any of that. But, I am not going to say anything 100% since I didn't have to deal with that.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:56 PM   #3

If her mother was receiving social security, it would be reported on her mother's final income tax return, not yours. The executor or administrator of her estate would be responsible for filing the mother's final income tax returns.

Who was the check for the %5K death benefit made out to? Most likely the designated beneficiary. That person will most likely receive a 1099R and include that as income on their tax returns.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:33 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
IL does not tax SS nor Pension, nor retirement account withdrawals (IRA, 401K, etc).

The estate will need to do a tax return, so look at deceased previous return for ideas of what income existed, noting that SS will be super low this year.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:30 PM   #5

IL does not tax any sort of retirement income...yet.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:59 PM   #6

Thanks all. I think I am good now.
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:17 PM   #7

One thing more. I think a death benefit from a pension is essentially like life insurance. I don't think it is taxable, by either the beneficiary or the estate. You should be able to easily investigate this though.
EastWest Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:46 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post

Still not able to attract / retain retirees. I guess after so many years in the cold weather, people are looking for warmer places to retire. I love the....yet part.
Love This Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love This Community View Post
Still not able to attract / retain retirees. I guess after so many years in the cold weather, people are looking for warmer places to retire. I love the....yet part.
They don't tax retirees, but they tax the retirees house to the max!!!
Old 01-04-2021, 07:58 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
They don't tax retirees, but they tax the retirees house to the max!!!

Property taxes are insane. I pay more in taxes on our single family property than I used to as a renter for a condo. Lifestyle creep is real and even more painful in IL in the form of property taxes.
Love This Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:42 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am dealing with my father's estate in Illinois as we speak. I happen to have legal insurance through an employer plan, so we are using an attorney to help us probate Dad's will. My sister and I received payments from Dad's VA life insurance in 2020, so I asked this question of our attorney and he said, "...life insurance death benefits are essentially gifts/inheritance and not income for your reporting purposes."
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:31 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
With an emphasis on "yet". With this state's sad fiscal situation, they will surely tax everything soon.
Sangiovese is offline   Reply With Quote