Join Early Retirement Today

Inheritance of $250,000+
Old 01-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Inheritance of $250,000+

Longtime Lurker. First Time Poster.

About me.
58 Years old widower, laid off a few years ago. Semi-retired have not started to take Pension yet. Basically living on savings and short term contract work. House is paid for no debts. 401k and IRAs total over a mil. Savings of $500k. Two daughters college accounts of $150k a piece might not be enough, might have to supplement a bit depending on a schools.

My actually rich Uncle passed. I was expecting to get something eventually maybe enough for a new car someday. But it seems I am getting something more than that. His net worth was something north of $10 mil maybe as high as $20 mill. So $250,000 is the bare minimum of what I will get. So I ponder other than a few cars since mine are 15 and 20 years old (nothing extravagant) what would you all do?
MarkiePippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #2

Keep that information to myself and invest it in low-cost index funds, withdraw 4% per year.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Works for me. Buy that car you want and invest the rest.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How do you arrive at a bare minimum of $250,000 if your uncle’s estate is estimated at 10 to 20 million. $250,000 equals 1/40th of 10 million. Do you have any idea what percentage of his estate you will inherit? Estate/inheritances will of course reduce the gross estate.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Keep that information to myself and invest it in low-cost index funds, withdraw 4% per year.
+1
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

I do not know my share yet. I am being a pessimist to not go crazy.
MarkiePippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #7

First, I would wait and see and not get my hopes up until probate and all that was finished. Larger estates take longer to get resolved.

Second, I would keep my mouth totally shut. Not even discuss w/family (never know who is angling for your piece). Don't tell your kids - it might not pan out and they don't need to blab at school.

If and when it becomes a reality, I'd probably do a minor splurge, then wait till both kids are safely in college since you have an unknown expense there, and then consider dropping the part time work since you'll probably be 60 by the time all that comes to pass.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:14 PM   #8

Keep my mouth shut. And after receipt: invest in very low cost broad based index funds (probably total stock/ total bond through vanguard) 75/25 stocks/ bonds.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:24 PM   #9

Once the estate is settled and money transferred I'd buy a new car and invest the rest in index funds. Oh and enjoy life!!
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #10

I'd do what I did this year. Put part in an inherited IRA, and part in a new brokerage account. Haven't spent a dime yet...keeping my eyes on the RE prize!

Sounds like you could use most of this as a buffer to enhance your retirment savings...might allow you to retire altogether!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Once the estate is settled and money transferred I'd buy a new car and invest the rest in index funds. Oh and enjoy life!!
+1
Old 01-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #12

The boglehead wiki has a great section on managing a windfall:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Managing_a_windfall
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:56 PM   #13

I agree with all that say tell NOBODY. Google broke lottery winners and see what can happen. Some are bankrupt, some have been murdered, etc,
BUT by coming here you are ahead of the game.
Nobody in our +55 park has a clue as to how much we have, until the 2 new cars appeared in the driveway. I just casually mentioned car payments, but did not say we were making them.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:07 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Agree, tell no one that you are hoping for an inheritance let alone anyone if you receive a portion of the Uncle's estate. Unless some of what you receive was in Uncle's IRA then this will not be an inherited IRA (with special withdrawal requirements).

$250,000 is a nice sum but you will be surprised how fast it can be spent.

If you have income in the year of the inheritance receipt fund your personal IRA to the max.

Agree, put it in low-cost index funds. Buy a car but consider whether or not you want your kids to use your older cars during college. Keep a modest profile, don't change your lifestyle least you become a victim of a gold-digger or thief.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Agree, tell no one that you are hoping for an inheritance let alone anyone if you receive a portion of the Uncle's estate. Unless some of what you receive was in Uncle's IRA then this will not be an inherited IRA (with special withdrawal requirements).

$250,000 is a nice sum but you will be surprised how fast it can be spent.

If you have income in the year of the inheritance receipt fund your personal IRA to the max.

Agree, put it in low-cost index funds. Buy a car but consider whether or not you want your kids to use your older cars during college. Keep a modest profile, don't change your lifestyle least you become a victim of a gold-digger or thief.
There is no amount of money that people can't blow through. Conversely, a well handled inheritance can add to/ insure security and add to enjoyment throughout your retirement.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:42 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

I try not to give advice, but if the amount is anywhere near what you mentioned, I think I'd retain a elderlaw/financial advisor type of professional, to guide the way through taxes and investment. At the least, a few thousand dollars in fees would be worth the peace of mind.
Whatever, a wonderful gift...
Old 01-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #17
gone traveling

If you have long lost friends and or family come out of the woodwork and reappear in your life you need to use extreme caution in these situations.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
There is no amount of money that people can't blow through. Conversely, a well handled inheritance can add to/ insure security and add to enjoyment throughout your retirement.

My cousin, who I believe was put on earth to be a bad example, blew through 2 inheritances and proceeds from her mother's house.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
My cousin, who I believe was put on earth to be a bad example, blew through 2 inheritances and proceeds from her mother's house.
My first college room mate won a lawsuit over a dog attack. He bought a brand new Camaro, and some other toys. $ were gone his freshman year! LOL.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:00 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Check to see if your state has an inheritance tax. Pay that before you do anything else. Then buy your car and invest the rest.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inheritance, rich uncle