Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Say what? :confused:
Well, obviously, with yer golf, country club, and yer high falutin' friends... Oh my!

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

It is amazing to me how many people worry about the death tax when in reality very few people are affected by it. Look at Buffet he stated he is not leaving his kids anything. Let them work to earn it. Paris Hilton is a good example for increasing the death tax. We all would be better off if she had not inhearted money. In fact she is the poster child for increasing the death tax.
Freein05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
The inheritance tax is set to go to $-0- in 2010. For one year.

But then in 2011 it comes back, with rate of 55% on taxable estates, under current law.

Why should families who spent lifetimes earning, sweating, slaving, saving---and paying income taxes all along--have the government confiscate 55% of their wealth when the parents die?

I believe this tax should be permanently abolished. It is punative and serves no good purpose.
You left out an important fact which dilutes your point....the average family simply doesn't have to worry about the estate tax because of the estate tax exemption, which is currently $2 million dollars. Only estates above that exemption amount incur estate taxes.

Secondly, I think the estate tax on very wealthy people serves an important purpose...it prevents wealthy families from growing their wealth to infinity and making their offspring very lazy and unproductive, and without the estate tax, America would become a meritocracy, the very thing that our ancestors ran away from. Just ask the two of the wealthiest Americans...Warren Buffett and Bill Gates...

Dozens of the Wealthy Join to Fight Estate Tax Repeal
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:09 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Why do the rich always whine? Whenever there is a transfer of wealth the Government takes a part of it. Get over it and be thankful that you have enough to worry about this tax.
1. I don't consider myself "rich." But, according to Firecalc, if the markets are favorable during my retirement years, there is the possibility that I'll croak with enough of a portfolio that my estate could be taxed. My final estate could also be zero, again depending on the markets and the economy over the next few decades. I suspect lots of folks on this board are in similar circumstances.

2. I'm not whining about paying the tax. I'm whining because they make it so wishy-washy. Your estate might have to pay.....BUT..... if you pay to have the appropriate trusts and other tools put into place, you may just wiggle out of it.

I say, pay or don't pay. But let's try to get rid of all the wiggle room. I just find taxes that can be avoided buy applying paper shuffling very annoying.

If all attorneys were as intelligent, ethical, good looking and personable as Martha, that would be another story. I'd enjoy spending time and money with them.

youbet (trying to dig out of a hole)
Old 12-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoonEnough View Post
Well, obviously, with yer golf, country club, and yer high falutin' friends... Oh my!
Golf equates to being rich huh? And you know my falutin friends? Well good for you. You got me.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #26

I find it amusing that most proponents of the estate tax want the exemption set just high enough that their estate won't have to pay it.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Also, $2,000,000 doesn't go as far as it used to. Look at what people on this board think is necessary for a beginning retirement nestegg... many wouldn't dream of it without a nestegg that size.

With any luck, and a well selected SWR, one's estate may be the same size or larger at one's demise.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:16 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Golf equates to being rich huh? And you know my falutin friends? Well good for you. You got me.
Better watch out with all that falutin around! Next thing you know, you'll get caught at it and your falutin days will be far behind you.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Say what? :confused:
What I'm saying is that there are a lot of folks who would love to have enough money to worry about that tax. A big tax bill usually means that you have a lot of income, gains or a big estate.
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Well, uh, argh!

I don't want to be accusing anyone of anything, but I honestly believe that regular (daily) golfers make a significant contribution to society. I mean, without them, what would the greenskeepers do all day?

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
The inheritance tax is set to go to $-0- in 2010. For one year.

But then in 2011 it comes back, with rate of 55% on taxable estates, under current law.

Why should families who spent lifetimes earning, sweating, slaving, saving---and paying income taxes all along--have the government confiscate 55% of their wealth when the parents die?

I believe this tax should be permanently abolished. It is punative and serves no good purpose.

Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #32

I think there should be a tax on trolling thread topics.....
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:43 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
I find it amusing that most proponents of the estate tax want the exemption set just high enough that their estate won't have to pay it.
No different than wanting the next income tax bracket to be just over your income!
Old 12-14-2007, 07:57 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freein05 View Post
Let them work to earn it. Paris Hilton is a good example for increasing the death tax. We all would be better off if she had not inhearted money. In fact she is the poster child for increasing the death tax.
This is a good example of how poorly these taxes accomplish what people expect.

First, the Hiltons probably made some lawyers and planners wealthier to find ways to circumvent the taxes. Second, even if the rate was 90%, I suspect that Paris could still afford her current lifestyle. So it didn't do anything that you think it might do. If you want to 'Let them work to earn it', then we would need some maximum $ figure per individual, or something. Then, exemptions for special needs, which would be used as 'loopholes' by people who can hire expensive lawyers - back to square one!

Quote:

Look at Buffet he stated he is not leaving his kids anything.
You might want to check your facts. There was a thread on Buffet and estate tax a while ago. -ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:06 PM   #35
Administrator

Old 12-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

That would take "use it or lose it" to entirely new heights...
Old 12-14-2007, 08:16 PM   #37

That would certainly make annuities a much better value. Even I might buy one.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:17 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

You are welcome to your belief, but I'd bet it wouldn't work out so well.

I bet there would be a lot of death-bed marriage ceremonies, or other ways around any large $ amount tax. Just like there is today.

I'm OK with some form of wealth re-distribution, but not when some can buy their way out of it. That turns the whole thing upside-down.

I say tax a little at a time while they are alive. If the $ amount is not so large at any one time, it is not worth it to pay to have someone help you circumvent it.

I'm just trying to be practical. We need to collect taxes - do it simply and effectively.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:36 PM   #39

Is the estate tax indexed? If not, most on this board will pay it.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

This is what Warren Buffet said in November of 2007:

"Dynastic wealth, the enemy of a meritocracy, is on the rise. Equality of opportunity has been on the decline," Buffett said. "A progressive and meaningful estate tax is needed to curb the movement of a democracy toward plutocracy."

Buffett backs estate tax, decries wealth gap | News | Reuters
Freein05 is offline   Reply With Quote