Insider Trading?

grumpy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So I check my portfolio status on the WSJ website this morning and see that shares of Aqua America (WTR) are down 5.42% yet there are no recent news articles or press releases by the company. The volume at 10:30 am is more than half of yesterday's total volume. Obviously somebody knows something that I don't know and is selling a $hitload of shares! Where is the SEC when you need them to be investigating insider trading? :'(

Grumpy

Its not insider trading. They reported earnings that were a penny below estimates and revenues were a touch light. Over-reaction, but not that surprising for such a highly priced stock. Roll over and go back to sleep (or buy some more share). WTR is A-OK.

Or if you still believe in the company and the management, then it just went on sale and you should get up and start buying!

grumpy said:
Obviously somebody knows something that I don't know and is selling a $hitload of shares!  Where is the SEC when you need them to be investigating insider trading?
It's just semantics-- when it goes up it's the Efficient Market Hypothesis, when it goes down it's insider trading.

I think the SEC has demonstrated by now that it's pretty powerless across the spectrum of both phenomena.

Brewer,

Thanks for the info. Now I found the news story. I am no longer in accumulation mode so I won't be buying more. I bought most of my shares for a split adjusted price of <$17 so I also won't be selling. Back to sleep :D

Grumpy

grumpy said:
Brewer,

Thanks for the info.  Now I found the news story.  I am no longer in accumulation mode so I won't be buying more.  I bought most of my shares for a split adjusted price of <$17 so I also won't be selling.  Back to sleep :D

Grumpy

My parents own some of this thing. I stumbled over it back when Vivendi was liquidating its stake and the stock got hammered. There was nothing otherwise wrong with it, so I had them buy some around 17 (pre split). Solid company and probably the best of the public water guys. Too bad it is so premum priced (although less so all of a sudden).

CEO appeared on Squawk Box this morning too, but that didn't give the stock a boost.

Back
Top Bottom