Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Inspiration
Old 08-23-2004, 11:18 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
. . .
Now...the really funny part? *The first time the kid runs in and tells me the other kid put a booger on 'em? *I'm gonna put a booger on 'em and then swear to Wendy that I didnt do it.

I plan to have twisted children. *Interesting, but twisted.
Is that where psycho mass murderers come from?
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2004, 06:21 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll be glad to send her for a visit down your way when she gets a little bigger if you want to try an experiment.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 07:44 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'll be glad to send her for a visit down your way when she gets a little bigger if you want to try an experiment.
Huh? ? ? I'll start making a hit list.

I have to tell you, though . . . The list would have been a lot longer and easier to put together when I was working.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:35 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I've actually wondered - and I don't want to offend anyone - if it would help if I tried to merge in with a little lower socioeconomic class. *But that seems kind of contrived...I don't know - it's a tough issue. *It's just hard cuzz everyone talks about relatively expensive cars, vacations and toys almost endlessly. *I've never heard anyone talk about camping for example...
I think that one of the ways I have been successful in marching toward FIRE despite the societal imperative to consume is by mentally drawing a ring around myself and labelling it "does not apply". By not identifying with the mass media and society to any great degree, it is easier for me to think my own thoughts and cleave to what I know is really important to me. So I can make small talk about vacations, expensive doodads, etc., but still know that it isn't really my thing. I really think that if you buy into what our culture offers you, it will be very, very difficult to resist the temptation to do all of the things conventional "wisdom" commands: visit Starbucks regularly, drive a car (or better yet, luxury SUV) no more than three years old, buy a newly built McMansion, head to the mall, etc. Unless you break the chain, it is all too easy to find yourself buying the third timeshare.

If you find yourself getting bored with conversations about cruises, luxury goods, etc., then it is time to seek out a new crew. It may be a bit intimidating (it is for introverted me), but if you start spending more time doing what you like and less time shopping, you start to naturally bump into fellow-travelers.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:23 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If you find yourself getting bored with conversations about cruises, luxury goods, etc., then it is time to seek out a new crew. *It may be a bit intimidating (it is for introverted me), but if you start spending more time doing what you like and less time shopping, you start to naturally bump into fellow-travelers.
I sometimes find myself staring at others with a look like "Are you crazy?" Not good...
Whisper9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:44 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I've actually wondered - and I don't want to offend anyone - if it would help if I tried to merge in with a little lower socioeconomic class. *But that seems kind of contrived...I don't know - it's a tough issue. *It's just hard cuzz everyone talks about relatively expensive cars, vacations and toys almost endlessly.
My job put me with educated professionals. There were a few I liked a lot, but a great many were self-serving, self-important, self-absorbed, name-dropping, keep-up-with-the-Jones, suck-ups, and climbers with about one inch of depth. I grew up around farmers and blue-collar workers and I'd take them any day. The people who tried to impress everyone with all their stuff didn't bother me in the least. I was confident that my approach was smarter and just viewed them as idiots. Life is much simpler for INTJs.
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:18 AM   #27

I agree with Bob_Smith that "Life is much simpler for INTJs". However, I am not quite so hard on my former
"top of the economic food chain" associates. I knew
I couldn't "keep up" when I semiretired in 1993, so we moved back to the rural area where we grew up
and where both sets of parents still lived. I have questioned this decision, although the same problem
(no longer fitting together enonomically) ended my first marriage.
Anyway, unlike Bob_Smith, I miss my former friends
and status. I would say it was worth both breaks to
enable me to ER. My motivation has never wavered.
There have been a lot of surprises along the way though.

John Galt
Old 08-26-2004, 05:24 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I agree with Bob_Smith that "Life is much simpler for INTJs". *However, I am not quite so hard on my former
"top of the economic food chain" associates. *I knew
I couldn't "keep up" when I semiretired in 1993, so we moved back to the rural area where we grew up
and where both sets of parents still lived. *I have *questioned this decision, although the same problem
(no longer fitting together enonomically) ended my first marriage.
Anyway, unlike Bob_Smith, I miss my former friends
and status. *I would say it was worth both breaks to
enable me to ER. *My motivation has never wavered.
There have been a lot of surprises along the way though.

John Galt
Well, there always pros and cons to any decision. That's what's tough about life. Major decisions often mean irreversible and profound change! Try to explain that to a kid...

I guess I'm at the point where I just "feel in my bones" I want out of the rat race. I feel that money can bring a lot of a certain kind of fun and entertainment that is exhilirating and it gives the possibility for education and learning, but I think those come at too high of a price. But I haven't actually done all this, so any input you have is much appreciated...
Old 08-26-2004, 06:48 AM   #29

Quote:
I've actually wondered - and I don't want to offend anyone - if it would help if I tried to merge in with a little lower socioeconomic class. *But that seems kind of contrived...I don't know - it's a tough issue. *It's just hard cuzz everyone talks about relatively expensive cars, vacations and toys almost endlessly. *I've never heard anyone talk about camping for example...
Whisper,

My guess is that you may be quite a bit younger than a lot of the 50 plus folks on this forum. And that could be the problem.

Most of us here have spent our 30 years in the work force, saved our money, budgeted and now plan on enjoying retirement while we're still able and alive.

Are we crazy for spending our money on things we enjoy? No, because we budget for it. My wife and I plan to spend our nest egg throughout our lives. Travelling is one of our passions. The folks on this forum are very conservative financially and spend money on things that are important to them. And if I had another $10 Million, I'd figure out a way to spend that also with no problem. A winter home in Florida would be nice 8)

Do I camp out? - Sure I do and enjoy a lot of 'some' of it. Last month (July) I took fishing trip over to Lake Michigan and Camped out, Had wonderful weather, great friends, food. We enjoyed watching the fireflies also, as well as good whiskey around the campfire. I love camping. - But when I go to Kodiak Island next month, I'm also glad I'm in a nice warm lodge. I've camped out on Kodiak in October and after a day on the river in the rain, coming back to wet tent is not something I enjoy.

You are still in the accumulation phase and seem to really want out of work. Maybe you should look at a career change and do something you really want to do.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:14 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I've actually wondered - and I don't want to offend anyone - if it would help if I tried to merge in with a little lower socioeconomic class. But that seems kind of contrived...I don't know - it's a tough issue. It's just hard cuzz everyone talks about relatively expensive cars, vacations and toys almost endlessly. I've never heard anyone talk about camping for example...
I'm not sure what "merge in with a little lower socioeconomic class" means to you, but to me it sounds like "live on less than you make" and that is what this someday-RE is doing. Heck, you have to.

I'm starting to get some camping gear cheap now that it's the end of the season. Still another month or so left of decent camping weather out here in Seattle, if you don't mind more chances at rain. The dome tent I got is a PITA to set up.
Whakamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 08:08 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I are the lower socio-economic class. One thing though - if you manage to search out and find some really cheap, out of the way, places - that have 'da funk' or 'mystic pizzaz' - you meet some interesting characters - you pretend not to know from movies/tv or one stretch is nicknamed 'politicians row' and the other way they have one area that every four/five years some stupid movie crew is screwing up local traffic.

You would be surprised who likes cheap out of the way housing.

Being a dam yankee - I gave up trying to act local 20 yrs ago. Still one of those peculiar folks - who don't talk rite.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:38 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but I live in the bowels of the metropolis and just love it. I'm surrounded by cheap but fantastic ethnic food. I'm in heaven...
Old 08-26-2004, 09:45 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Whisper,

My guess is that you may be quite a bit younger than a lot of the 50 plus folks on this forum. And that could be the problem.

Most of us here have spent our 30 years in the work force, saved our money, budgeted and now plan on enjoying retirement while we're still able and alive.

Are we crazy for spending our money on things we enjoy? No, because we budget for it. My wife and I plan to spend our nest egg throughout our lives. Travelling is one of our passions. The folks on this forum are very conservative financially and spend money on things that are important to them. And if I had another $10 Million, I'd figure out a way to spend that also with no problem. A winter home in Florida would be nice 8)

Do I camp out? - Sure I do and enjoy a lot of 'some' of it. Last month (July) I took fishing trip over to Lake Michigan and Camped out, Had wonderful weather, great friends, food. We enjoyed watching the fireflies also, as well as good whiskey around the campfire. I love camping. - But when I go to Kodiak Island next month, I'm also glad I'm in a nice warm lodge. I've camped out on Kodiak in October and after a day on the river in the rain, coming back to wet tent is not something I enjoy.

You are still in the accumulation phase and seem to really want out of work. Maybe you should look at a career change and do something you really want to do.
Mid 40's myself. And, yes, I'm in the accumulation phase.

As far as wanting out of work, it will probably surprise you to find that I really enjoy my work. I feel very fortunate to have a job that I look forward to going to every morning. But I have several huge motivators:

1. I work in an industry with a lot of turnover, downsizing, etc. At a minimum I want to know I could retire and survive in the unlikely event of a loss of cabin pressure...
2. I'm a ofttimes single parent. I'd like to be able to spend more time with my kid and be there when he comes home from school.
3. As much as I enjoy my profession, I have so much more that I'd like to do, particularly in the area of volunteering.
4. I have many and varied interests and I feel that a 40+ hour a week job takes a disproportionate amount of time out of one's life.

Hope that makes sense...
Old 08-26-2004, 09:53 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I'm not sure what "merge in with a little lower socioeconomic class" means to you, but to me it sounds like "live on less than you make" and that is what this someday-RE is doing. Heck, you have to.
Well, that wasn't too PC, but what I meant was that I've noticed that hanging around my more middle class friends is a sure way to burn cash: expensive lunches, amusement parks for the kids, expensive entertainment, endless talk about gadgets, electronics and nice cars. It's torture because a lot of it I love - particularly CD's, the lunches, and the gadgets.

But when I hang around someone who is maybe a student or isn't really yet up in the middle class, etc. - generally they're saying, "Oh, sorry, I can only go to a matinee" or "Sorry, it's gotta be fast food this week.", etc.

It just eliminates a lot of unnecessary tension...
Old 08-27-2004, 05:45 AM   #35

Re. "eliminates a lot of unnecessary tension", you're
right. Couldn't agree more. Still miss my "high-roller"
lifestyle a bit though. Now, here is a rhetorical question to ponder. How far would I travel back into my former
lifestyle if I had the economic means to do so?
And, if I thought I could stand it financially, would I go all the way back (think country clubs and Cadillacs, etc.)? Maybe.......................

John Galt
Old 08-27-2004, 06:14 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

What is it you miss? The people? The things? The entertainment? The pace?
Old 08-27-2004, 06:32 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

History

American SST, Skylab, Viking, Space Shuttle.

When I was layed off - Space Shuttle was old, out of date and no new R&D of note hence I was increasingly redundant. The other guys had the Space Station contract and it was proceeding slowly (ie not hiring what I had).

Among the many other emotions - conscious and -un- , I couldn't see moving to get a job - if all they could offer was money - no history, no romance. Working for only money is just stupid. (told ya - INTJ, left handed, mildly insane).

Heh, heh, heh - how bout them dryer sheets!!!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:42 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
History

American SST, Skylab, Viking, Space Shuttle.

When I was layed off - Space Shuttle was old, out of date and no new R&D of note hence I was increasingly redundant. The other guys had the Space Station contract and it was proceeding slowly (ie not hiring what I had).

Among the many other emotions - conscious and -un- , I couldn't see moving to get a job - if all they could offer was money - no history, no romance. Working for only money is just stupid. (told ya - INTJ, left handed, mildly insane).

Heh, heh, heh - how bout them dryer sheets!!!
Glad to see someone else out there with a few neuroses and proud of it...
Old 08-27-2004, 12:13 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At a minimum I want to know I could retire and survive in the unlikely event of a loss of cabin pressure...
Note also that your fellow passengers may be used as temporary floatation devices...

Now you know why the pilots on the company jet I used to ride to work didnt like it when I gave the pre-flight instructions...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:58 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Lol! Sounds like you would have been a flight attendant!