Join Early Retirement Today

Insurance claim payment
Old 09-19-2021, 06:40 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Insurance claim payment

Is an insurance claim payment considered income? My payment I want to put in bank and maybe do my roof next year or the following spring. Shingles are in good enough shape to get a few more years out of them.

So, how does the IRS view this money?
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 06:47 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Is an insurance claim payment considered income? My payment I want to put in bank and maybe do my roof next year or the following spring. Shingles are in good enough shape to get a few more years out of them.

A property or casualty loss payment is not considered income.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:06 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

VanWinkle, thank you!!
Old 09-19-2021, 11:21 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

if this claim is for roof damage, be aware your insurance will no longer cover damage from the unfixed roof.

Also delaying the fix, means should the roofer charge extra (rotten wood discovered when roofing), the insurance company will not pay extra due to the time delay, but they would (in my experience) if the repair is done immediately.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:41 AM   #5

I'm not an accountant, or a lawyer. Insurance payment is contractually an indemnification. In other words, payment to return you back to whole, so it's not a windfall. That is not income.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:12 PM   #6

Quote:

non-taxable to the feds and presumably the same to your state.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:57 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for that confirmation and clarity. My roof is really pretty good shape to last through the winter and in to next year. I have installed new shingles where wind damage happened. One issue in my area there is so much roof work needed there isn't the contractors available to keep up with demand. I really don't want to install shingles going into these cold days ahead, without some very warm days to make that seal.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for that confirmation and clarity. My roof is really pretty good shape to last through the winter and in to next year. I have installed new shingles where wind damage happened. One issue in my area there is so much roof work needed there isn't the contractors available to keep up with demand. I really don't want to install shingles going into these cold days ahead, without some very warm days to make that seal.
Repairs within 1 years is usually considered reasonable by most Insurance Companies for property damage that is not causing additional exposure(hole
in roof allowing water in). I'm retired from claims division of a large Insurance Company.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:11 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

For my insurance you have 1 year. I think they wont give you the held back depreciation after that point. They hold a little money until you submit proof of repair then they pay it out. Usaa
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:49 AM   #10

Quote:
I agree with a well sealed roof- Hot days are better for asphalt roofing.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:49 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Sounds like you decided on shingles and not a metal roof.