Insurance Mistake

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Previously, I have posted about mistakes made by my insurance company. I stay with them for price and pain of moving. Here is the latest: I received a check for the exact amount of the annual premiums for my homeowners policy. I look on their website and sure enough, it shows two payments. Hence, a refund. I look through our credit card records and bank account. Only one payment was made. I search Quicken for that amount. Only one payment was made.

I emailed them and here was the response: "It looks like there was an online CC payment on 6/7/21 and a check (?) sent into Home Office that posted on 6/21/21, this caused the overpayment and refund of $884.00."

My question to you is: What hoops should I make them jump through when they find their mistake? Obviously, I cannot push it so far that they cancel my coverage.

Deposit the check and wait for them to come back to you.

You informed them that you thought that you received the check in error and they didn't agree. They'll probably figure it out eventually and sen you a bill.

If I'm reading this right I think you double paid this with your info. I think you politely ask the over funded payment be refunded.

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't too clear. I have deposited the money. I only paid it once. I was explaining that I checked each and every account for more than one payment. No. I then checked in my bookkeeping program (Quicken). Only one payment.

You informed them that you thought that you received the check in error and they didn't agree. They'll probably figure it out eventually and sen you a bill.

+1 They will eventually figure it out and get back with you. I'd hold onto your correspondence with them in case a bean counter tries to charge you interest on the time you held the funds. Hard to believe they'd try to do that but one never knows.

+1 my sister had this exact thing happen recently. She spent far too much time trying to help them figure it out and then let it go. They figured it out a few months later.

Keep the email from them and do nothing more. You alerted them of their mistake, they refuse to acknowledge it, so there's nothing more you can do except keep their email in case they bring this up in the future.

I have the same issue with a landscaper. He came by, completed the job in two days and two weeks later I had not received a bill, I texted him making sure he knew my correct email address (since that's how he sends bills) telling him i did not yet receive a bill, gave him the name and contact information of another potential customer and he replied saying he'd send the bill the next day and thanked me for the lead on the new customer. That was 2 months ago and still no bill arrived.

You can only do so much...

Last edited:
By any chance do you have a mortgage with an escrow that pays for property taxes and insurance? If so, the mortgagee possibly sent the check.

Not sure of your circumstances but I've seen this happen.

By any chance do you have a mortgage with an escrow that pays for property taxes and insurance? If so, the mortgagee possibly sent the check.

Not sure of your circumstances but I've seen this happen.

We have a winner!

It is all my fault, not the insurance company. But let me grovel and explain. My old mortgage did not escrow for the insurance. Refinance with the same bank, did escrow. Bill arrives but it does not say that it is being sent to mortgage lender. The bill was set up to autopay before I refinanced so I did not even think about it.

Thanks, Stormy!

I haven't had a mortgage since 1992 (I think)

Would not have guessed that since I've rarely had a mortgage.

I would call them. You house could have a claim and then they would say your bill was not paid. You never know.

We have a winner!

It is all my fault, not the insurance company. But let me grovel and explain. My old mortgage did not escrow for the insurance. Refinance with the same bank, did escrow. Bill arrives but it does not say that it is being sent to mortgage lender. The bill was set up to autopay before I refinanced so I did not even think about it.

Thanks, Stormy!

I'm glad to have always avoided escrow payment for things when getting a mortgage, mostly because I:

• Didn't want my money not earning interest (when interest counted).
  • Didn't trust the escrow company to do it correctly
  • I like to know I paid something, it's simpler if I do it.

I haven't had a mortgage since 1992 (I think)

Would not have guessed that since I've rarely had a mortgage.

And I haven't had escrow ever that I can recall... perhaps with out first mortgage back in the early 1980s but defintely not after that... they would ask me and I would always say no.

Back
Top Bottom