Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-22-2016, 10:04 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Stagflation is always the most dangerous outcome. Every ER plan should contemplate the possibility of extended high inflation/stagflation.
I was a much younger man during the Jimmy Carter days. High interest rates and inflation ruled the day, as I recall it. Stock and bond markets were not very attractive, but real estate and high interest cd's, etc. we're more favored investments. It was hard to stay ahead of inflation. Very different than today's 60/40 type asset allocation model investing.

Then I remember jumping on bonds as the Fed pounded down the interest rates, and enjoyed a profitable ride. But that was a long time ago, and I really knew very little about investing. Could be my memories are not really that accurate, but that's the way I recall it.
Dwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2016, 02:11 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Stagflation is always the most dangerous outcome. Every ER plan should contemplate the possibility of extended high inflation/stagflation.
I think deflation is the most dangerous. We are pretty good inflation fighters. Just my opinion.

On short term rates, I seriously doubt we get 3 hikes next year. If we do, it should be pretty good news meaning economic growth has quickened.

Long-term rates i think will remain moderate. The drivers of low rates in this country remain in place, chiefly demographics.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:44 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I think deflation is the most dangerous. We are pretty good inflation fighters. Just my opinion.

On short term rates, I seriously doubt we get 3 hikes next year. If we do, it should be pretty good news meaning economic growth has quickened.

Long-term rates i think will remain moderate. The drivers of low rates in this country remain in place, chiefly demographics.
You are right, inflation can be cured by raising rates. Raising rates makes the dollar stronger, making imports cheaper and US goods more expensive. Jobs (and profits) go to other countries.

The economy is great for about 20% of Americans. If the economy slows, the other 80% of the population get even more crushed. The majority of the new population growth is low-wage, low skill workers. Higher wage people are retiring and dying. As automation improves further, there is even a lesser need for as many STEM jobs, and those jobs can be done in any country in the world. We are in the beginning states of global wage equalization.

I doubt that we will get any significant rate increases next year either, but banks make more money in a higher rate environment, and the Fed is made up of many member banks. Plus the Fed wants inflation, as it helps wipe out debt. Maybe starting higher rates can trigger inflation. Inflation also leads to higher tax revenues.

If rates go up and the economy doesn't improve dramatically, look for stagflation.

Quote:
Definition: Stagflation is when the economy experiences stagnant economic growth, high unemployment, and high inflation. It's an unusual situation. A sluggish economy usually reduces demand enough to keep prices from rising. As workers get laid off, they buy less. As a result, businesses lower prices to attract whatever customers remain. Slow growth in a normal market economy prevents inflation https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-stagflation-3305964
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanctr88 View Post

I expect 2017 will be volatile across all types of financial instruments and investments.
This is a common prediction. More volatile than recent past? More volatile than option pricing implies? Otherwise this prediction is a throw away.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
This is a common prediction. More volatile than recent past? More volatile than option pricing implies? Otherwise this prediction is a throw away.

Yes to both. I think it is going to be a very wild ride for at least the next year as it is hard to tell what Congress and our new President will actually do and reactions to proposals, whether passable or not, will be very severe. With the Congress and White House being controlled by different parties the last four years it was clear that nothing of consequence would pass, thus reducing that driver of uncertainty.

Also adding to that uncertainty is our Fed tightening when everyone else is still loosening monetary policy. What do they see that we don't see here in the states? Meanwhile the European banks, China's and others have massive bad debt problems. Headlines and worries about those bad debt issues will likely lead to many wild swings.
beanctr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:06 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Strictly speaking, the FRB has a dual mandate of keeping inflation in check, and unemployment rates low. However, I'm sure they want to normalize, heh, rates higher, and many on the FRB board have opined that the problems that need addressing are fiscal, i.e. political, and shouldn't/can't be "solved" with monetary policy.

As others have said, rising rates will strengthen the dollar, especially given the Johnny-come-latelys in Europe and Asia still in QE mode. And while not a stated mandate, the Fed will still have to navigate those muddy waters.

So, rates up maybe one more percent, but unlikely much further in the next year or two. This prognostication is worth what you paid for it...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanctr88 View Post
I expect 2017 will be volatile across all types of financial instruments and investments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post

Which reminds me of when our local meteorologist claims, "We could see some changes in the weather in the next few days..."
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote