Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We've not had any issues so far, though we live in an urban area. Our regular hospital, labs, doctors and urgent care are all on our Covered CA plan and the list of network doctors seems quite large. Only our eye doctor was not on our Covered CA plan, but finding another one was not a problem. There are 1.5M Covered California customers so are 51 Blue Shield and 94 Anthem complaints in the link above indicative of a huge problem? We do always confirm with the doctors / labs that they are in network and do not go solely by the provider lists, though sometimes in our experience they leave out providers that are actually in network, so it is more likely a problem with accuracy than planned deception.

If the insurance company provider lists have 9 - 13% error rates as mentioned in the article, that doesn't quite jibe with the man who said he was calling all over and no one would take Covered California. If the provider network lists are 87 - 91% accurate, then it would seem like if he made calls for appointments based on the lists, the majority of doctors he called would still be in network.
We also have not had any problems with doctors not taking ACA plans in california (or in other states we traveled through). We didn't have a regular set of doctors but have now settled in San Diego and just look them up in the provider list. One or two had long wait lists but it wasn't a problem to find another close-by physician.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think expating for reasonable health insurance is an excellent idea. The cost of living in the US is not competitive. I would love it if people were more mobile and countries actually needed to compete for citizens. Politicians would be forced to actually care about the welfare of the citizens.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I saw a Mythbuster report today on the news. The UK has the highest longevity rating and is rated as the Number one Healthcare system (Overall) in 11 surveyed developed countries, Canada was not in the Top 3 but was in the Longevity report. The US was 11/11 dead last. Maybe the UK is the way to beat the Costs?
Old 03-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I can tell you how it works for Ohio Medicaid. You get a list of providers "who take Medicaid." Then you start calling them and find that only 3 in 100 are taking new Medicaid patients. Surprise! So, the supplied list is 100% accurate and 97% meaningless if you are on Medicaid and looking for a doctor.

This gets to the bigger point about "being covered" WRT health insurance. "Having coverage" is sometimes very different from being able to actually get quality care. Everyone on Medicaid is "covered," but you can be sure that many aren't able to get quality treatment in a timely manner.
Don't most insurers, as well as Medicare, have in network and out of network providers these days? I don't know why you are comparing Medicaid in Ohio and to a pricey monthly premium plan in the Bay Area. Stanford Hospital is on some Covered California plans. We buy our insurance through Covered California. Our plan choices are through traditional insurance companies like Kaiser and Blue Shield. For our zip we have 23 plans to choose from offered by 3 national and one regional insurance company.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
I think expating for reasonable health insurance is an excellent idea. The cost of living in the US is not competitive. I would love it if people were more mobile and countries actually needed to compete for citizens. Politicians would be forced to actually care about the welfare of the citizens.
I agree with you, although at the time I left it did not occur to me. I retired 30 years ago and have not paid for HI since. I recently bought a policy for my two young boy's ( 2&12) and it cost's $100/mth for the both of them and has no deductible, $15 copay (Dr comes to our house within an hour and includes all medications) and is accepted everywhere. The same policy for myself (63 y/o) would run $260/mth for me.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't know why you are comparing Medicaid in Ohio and to a pricey monthly premium plan in the Bay Area.
Re-read my post. I am answering your question. You did not understand how a state-supplied list of providers who "take" a certain type insurance might not be of much relevance to a person who has that insurance and wants to find a doctor. I supplied an example.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:37 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Re-read my post. I am answering your question. You did not understand how a state-supplied list of providers who "take" a certain type insurance might not be of much relevance to a person who has that insurance and wants to find a doctor. I supplied an example.
The issue in the article referred to in my post was not one of accepting new patients - it was not being able to find a doctor who accepted his plan. The complaint from the article was, "He explained how a typical phone call goes: "'Hey, I have Blue Shield. I need to see the doctor.' And every single doctor told me, 'Wait, is it real Blue Shield or Covered California? If it's Covered California, we don't take it.'"
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 03-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I saw a Mythbuster report today on the news. The UK has the highest longevity rating and is rated as the Number one Healthcare system (Overall) in 11 surveyed developed countries, Canada was not in the Top 3 but was in the Longevity report. The US was 11/11 dead last. Maybe the UK is the way to beat the Costs?
Are people in the UK as fat as those in the US? Do they smoke at the same rate? Exercise? There are a lot of things that contribute to longevity that have nothing to do with medical care.

US overweight (incl obese): Men: 71% Women: 62%
UK overweight (incl obese): Men 67% Women: 57%
Obesity in Women: US: 34% UK: 25%

Smoking: The US consumes 40% more tobacco per capita than the UK

Regardless of health care, stuff every Brit with as many Big Macs and Marlboroughs as his American counterpart consumes, sit him on the sofa in front of TV, then let's see what happens to longevity figures in 30 years.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #109

My current insurance is exactly the same through the ACA as it is off the ACA. I called the insurance company and discussed their plans. You can't tell from the contracts with the providers, the card, or anything else that I went through the ACA.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The issue in the article referred to in my post was not one of accepting new patients - it was not being able to find a doctor who accepted his plan. The complaint from the article was, "He explained how a typical phone call goes: "'Hey, I have Blue Shield. I need to see the doctor.' And every single doctor told me, 'Wait, is it real Blue Shield or Covered California? If it's Covered California, we don't take it.'"
Exactly. He has insurance of a particular type, he's trying to find a new doctor. He's a new patient. A new patient. They won't accept him with that insurance. Neither you or I know if every receptionist used the exact same wording, do you think they did? As far as this guy is concerned, "We don't take Covered California" is functionally identical to "we don't take new Covered California patients." I've explained to you how a government supplied list of providers is not necessarily relevant to the experiences of a patient trying to find a doc. I do not know if it applies to California, to Utah or to Pacoima.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Exactly. He has insurance of a particular type, he's trying to find a new doctor. He's a new patient. A new patient. They won't accept him with that insurance. Neither you or I know if every receptionist used the exact same wording, do you think they did? As far as this guy is concerned, "We don't take Covered California" is functionally identical to "we don't take new Covered California patients." I've explained to you how a government supplied list of providers is not necessarily relevant to the experiences of a patient trying to find a doc. I do not know if it applies to California, to Utah or to Pacoima.
The whole article was on issues with the provider lists being inaccurate, not accepting new patients. It would be unlikely a receptionist would even use the wording we do not accept Covered California, since that is a market place to buy a plan, not a plan itself. The whole complaint in the article sounded kind of sketchy, like either the person didn't understand how his plan worked or he had a hidden agenda.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #112
Administrator

Quote:
Are people in the UK as fat as those in the US? Do they smoke at the same rate? Exercise? There are a lot of things that contribute to longevity that have nothing to do with medical care.

US overweight (incl obese): Men: 71% Women: 62%
UK overweight (incl obese): Men 67% Women: 57%
Obesity in Women: US: 34% UK: 25%

Smoking: The US consumes 40% more tobacco per capita than the UK

Regardless of health care, stuff every Brit with as many Big Macs and Marlboroughs as his American counterpart consumes, sit him on the sofa in front of TV, then let's see what happens to longevity figures in 30 years.
Excellent point.

I expect it would be near impossible to measure accurately but I wonder how many steps taken or miles walked there are per person on average in the U.K. because without any extra effort our step count (and miles walked) has seen a major increase this last year since we returned. We wear step counters nearly all day, me with my iPhone, DW with her Fitbit and have done for over 2 years now. We are health conscious and exercise just as often in our gym here as we did in our gym in the USA, plus we would often walk out for breakfast or lunch in our place in Texas, however we not only walk about town from here a lot, we see loads of other folks walking everywhere as well.

However, the increasing rates of type II obesity, particularly in children, is often in the news here so the UK is far from immune in this respect.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Excellent point.

I expect it would be near impossible to measure accurately but I wonder how many steps taken or miles walked there are per person on average in the U.K. because without any extra effort our step count (and miles walked) has seen a major increase this last year since we returned. We wear step counters nearly all day, me with my iPhone, DW with her Fitbit and have done for over 2 years now. We are health conscious and exercise just as often in our gym here as we did in our gym in the USA, plus we would often walk out for breakfast or lunch in our place in Texas, however we not only walk about town from here a lot, we see loads of other folks walking everywhere as well.

However, the increasing rates of type II obesity, particularly in children, is often in the news here so the UK is far from immune in this respect.
My 4 months in UK/Europe probably saves my life. I did so much walking that I didn't know I possibly could. Plus I noticed people eat more vegs, or more veg choices there than USA. Plus I love the vegs there, they taste a lot better than even the ones I grow here. Plus I think overall people have smaller portion. Bottom line is so many factors.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does the US export a lot of corn syrup to the UK? I saw diabetes and obesity on the rise everywhere, and people getting their toes, feet, and even lower legs amputated all over the place, or should I say all over the media. Scary.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:08 PM   #115
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Does the US export a lot of corn syrup to the UK? I saw diabetes and obesity on the rise everywhere, and people getting their toes, feet, and even lower legs amputated all over the place, or should I say all over the media. Scary.
When we first moved to the USA we couldn't believe how sugar was added to everything including bread, beans, peanut butter, whatever. Everything tasted way too sweet for us. We'd actually never heard of HFCS in the U.K. This was 40 years ago, but a quick search shows the consumption of it is still low compared to the USA. ( a study in 2012 showed that it was <1lb per capita compared to the USA of 55lbs per capita)

Nations with high-fructose corn syrup consumption have more diabetes - UPI.com

Quote:
Countries with per-capita consumption of less than 1 pound per year included: Australia, China, Denmark, France, India, Ireland, Italy, Sweden, the United Kingdom and Uruguay.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

55 lbs vs. 1 lb? I strongly believe the countries with low consumption of corn syrup get their sweet teeth satisfied with other types of sweeteners, such as sugar from cane or beet. Nobody can eat just 1 lb/year. They still eat less sugar than the Americans, but it cannot be that low.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #117
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
55 lbs vs. 1 lb? I strongly believe the countries with low consumption of corn syrup get their sweet teeth satisfied with other types of sweeteners, such as sugar from cane or beet. Nobody can eat just 1 lb/year. They still eat less sugar than the Americans, but it cannot be that low.
The article is not about sugar it is in response to what you asked about consumption of corn syrup.

The UK climate is not suited for corn and the majority of sugar comes from beets.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Yes. Now, I read about corn syrup being blamed for a lot, but have not looked into why it is worse than other types of sugar.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When we first moved to the USA we couldn't believe how sugar was added to everything including bread, beans, peanut butter, whatever. Everything tasted way too sweet for us. We'd actually never heard of HFCS in the U.K. This was 40 years ago, but a quick search shows the consumption of it is still low compared to the USA. ( a study in 2012 showed that it was <1lb per capita compared to the USA of 55lbs per capita)

Nations with high-fructose corn syrup consumption have more diabetes - UPI.com
Alan,
The sugar combats the evil ICE!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #120
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Alan,
The sugar combats the evil ICE!
Internal Combustion Engine?