Interesting Post from GRS: "Mom's a Millionaire"
Old 02-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interesting Post from GRS: "Mom's a Millionaire"

Interesting post from Get Rich Slowly.

Thought I'd share this with the ER community:
My mom is a millionaire! ~ Get Rich Slowly
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

That is an interesting post. I've got mixed feelings about it because I'm both happy and sad for her.
Palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:19 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting, But what is up with this guy? He has been writing a personal finance blog for 12 years and struggling to help his mom pay for assisted living all that time. Yet he only now discovers that she has social security and IRA's? And, oh, "I forgot about the house and rental income?" You would get rich very SLOWLY following this guy.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:42 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Great story. Health is such a big deal can really have all the money in the world and not be able to enjoy it with bad health.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:32 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Interesting, But what is up with this guy? He has been writing a personal finance blog for 12 years and struggling to help his mom pay for assisted living all that time. Yet he only now discovers that she has social security and IRA's? And, oh, "I forgot about the house and rental income?" You would get rich very SLOWLY following this guy.
That's what I thought. Especially the "Although it hobbled the business, we structured it so that the family box factory channeled some of its profits directly to her care."

So you have SS/IRAs/a home no longer needed worth $414K and you chose to hobble the business as the best option to pay for her care. They mention renting out the home but don't say how much. All seems very strange and clearly, there is more to that story.

I had a similar revelation with my mom being a millionaire but I had at least known most of their wealth was tied up in their farmland they lived on and they would likely have to sell at least part of it to fund retirement which is often the case with farmers.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:57 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And he's still ignoring her 60% share of the box factory, isn't he? Just including the land value? He says the house is part of net worth, so isn't this?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:14 AM   #7

I thought the the same things about this finance blogger or maybe he's intentionally writing down to who he thinks his readers are?

It made me worry for his mom with him in charge.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:21 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Someone on the blogger's website questioned him about why he had just now figured out his mom had far more financial assets than he thought. His response:

Quote:
Yes, naturally I was aware that Mom’s Social Security payments would start soon. And of course I knew that the land had value. But I had never bothered to think about the implications of all this.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:39 AM   #9

Quote:
+1 Either the writer is dense, or this story is apocryphal.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

What got me is that Mom is not yet 70 and incompetent. I should send this article to my kids to show them how lucky they are to have functioning adults (albeit aging) as parents.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I think this article just proves that some financial writers like this J.D. Roth are clueless and anything that you see in the mainstream press from financial writers should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

I don't see anything that qualifies this guy to give financial advice to the masses.

Quote:
I was born and raised in Canby, Oregon. As was my father before me. As was his father before him. I attended Canby Union High School before spending four years at college in Salem, where I attended Willamette University. I earned a bachelor of arts in psychology with a minor in English (writing emphasis). I also took a lot of public speaking classes. Naturally, after I graduated I couldn’t find a job. I went to work for my Dad, selling custom boxes for the family business. I hated it.

You’ll notice that none of this has anything to do with money. I have no formal training in the world of finance. I’m not an accountant. I’m not a licensed stockbroker. I’m not a certified financial planner. I’m just a regular guy who has learned about money through the school of hard knocks. ....

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #12

Quote:
But I had never bothered to think about the implications of all this.
So any advice he gives may be ill informed because he never bothered to think about some topic or other. Why would anyone care what he suggests about any thing.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Interestingly, this guy started his blog in 2006 or thereabouts and sold it for several million dollars several years later. He recently bought it back. What do you think accounts for the super-success of the blog?
frugalscholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalscholar View Post
Interestingly, this guy started his blog in 2006 or thereabouts and sold it for several million dollars several years later. He recently bought it back. What do you think accounts for the super-success of the blog?
I am serious: I don't understand what you are talking about. I think you are hint at something but I don't get it.

Thanks,
Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I am serious: I don't understand what you are talking about. I think you are hint at something but I don't get it.

Thanks,

Mike D.

I don't get your question. I thought the same as many others wrt the clueless nature of the GRS blog. The bloggers response quoted above fits the "1st Rule of Holes" theory nicely. Frugal Scholar is not being coy and I also wondered what makes a blog with dubious content popular ( and that was before I saw the info about it being not just popular, but very profitable as well).
Old 02-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalscholar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I don't think he's hinting at anything. I think he's seriously asking why a blog by a unqualified guy who doesn't seem to do a very good job at what he's blogging about has become so financially valuable. Why do enough people pay any attention to him to make the blog a money maker?
Old 02-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I don't think he's hinting at anything. I think he's seriously asking why a blog by a unqualified guy who doesn't seem to do a very good job at what he's blogging about has become so financially valuable. Why do enough people pay any attention to him to make the blog a money maker?
Because someone posts it on a site like this and many, many people go to the site increasing hit rates and that site's value...
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
Because someone posts it on a site like this and many, many people go to the site increasing hit rates and that site's value...