Join Early Retirement Today

Interesting videos of 2 couples who left the US to FIRE in Portugal
Old 08-18-2022, 04:46 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting videos of 2 couples who left the US to FIRE in Portugal

I guess Portugal is the easiest rout to getting an EU passport.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2022, 11:28 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Portugal seems like latest flavor of the month for expats looking to FIRE in lower-cost-of-living destinations overseas. These kinds of videos always make the transition seem so happy, easy and stress free that it's almost comical.
luckydude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:01 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They're right about Portugal being cheap and easier to get a Visa than the rest of the EU. The Algarve region around Farro is what Florida is to us--to the English. Modern condo's, etc. there that can be rented out.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 06:32 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Anyone ever tried to learn Portuguese? Not that easy, I worked in Brazil for a few years. Spanish is a lot easier. Just my 02c., never been to Portugal though. YMMV

BTW, who thinks making a YouTube Video on "How Hard is it to Change countries" would get much sponsorship? YouTubers have a habit of making these things look red and rosy. Unless it is about a Housing Market crash of course.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Anyone ever tried to learn Portuguese? Not that easy, I worked in Brazil for a few years. Spanish is a lot easier.
I found it easier than French or German, my other languages.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:52 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I found it easier than French or German, my other languages.
I envy you for that. My preferences are French, Spanish and Italian. German, not so much.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:01 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Anyone ever tried to learn Portuguese?
Still working on English. Texan was much easier and so was Spanish.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:21 AM   #8

I found that learning Portuguese had a hidden benefit. I can understand Spanish, despite not being able to speak it much. OTOH, Spanish speakers struggle with spoken Portuguese, although they can read it well enough. It's kind of like a one-way mirror between the two languages.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:54 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

There's a great James Thurber quote I've shared frequently with those contemplating the expat life over the years: "All men should strive to learn before they die, what they are running from, and to, and why."

Folks like those featured in these videos know a bit about the first part - and that's it. Having lived as expats in Mexico ourselves for 5 years we've seen this so often, with a massive uptick (I called it "the Trump Bump" in a blog post) during the past few years. At least many of them are honest about only doing the expat thing in pursuit of lower cost living and better weather. I really miss the good old days when people would at least occasionally carefully research a place and move there because they really wanted to immerse themselves in the local culture, learn the language and respect the locals. These days "research" seems to consist of watching a few YouTube videos and getting on a plane.

Obviously most of these folks will be back in the U.S. soon enough, or on to their next digital nomad destination, having unwittingly done their part to further resentment of entitled, clueless "Ugly American" tourists at every stop along their way.
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:58 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

IMHO, the trick here is to retire early with only SS and the $250,000 profit from the sale of the house. Show us how to do that.

The video of the couple from Argentina? I think the guy raises a lot of straw men which he then tries to knock down. It seems to be too professional. I ask myself what is he selling or going to try and sell me?
Perhaps I am wrong.

In my travels I have met a number of people who have moved from the USA and now live entirely or part-time in another country. Good for them. I make no judgment. I also have met people who sold the family's 4 acres out in some rural area and moved to the Big City where they now enjoy a much greater variety of activities, have all sorts of different friends, and are still close to their family. All in the good old USA. Good for them too!

Self proclaimed President for Life of Outliers United.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:12 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Add one more couple- this is our daughter and SIL. They didn't FIRE, but are "digital nomads" there.

https://www.youtube.com/c/HoneymoonAlways
Old 08-19-2022, 09:24 AM   #12
Administrator

My wife’s sister and her husband just moved into their new place in Portugal. They’re German, so EU passport was not an issue or objective. I don’t know their finances but he did pay into the German pension system so they have a pension income.

If they were to make a YouTube video of their experience it would be a bit different. They’ve been “homeless” for the past 14 months. The new property they bought has suffered from one delay after another, each involving new, unplanned costs. They have lived all around the world, mostly in developing countries, and are well versed in moving and settling in, yet even they found it impossible to deal with the local bureaucracy. They’ve lived with friends and family members for a year, moving frequently, always expecting their new condo to be available “in a month or so”.

Choosing to live where one doesn’t speak the language, have family or friends, or understand the culture just because it is less costly is a risky way to retire.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:09 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Choosing to live where one doesn’t speak the language, have family or friends, or understand the culture just because it is less costly is a risky way to retire.
+1 Big time
Tetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:12 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
+2

Also, I don't know if this makes sense, but....
... If I awakened one morning and found myself retired in Portugal, the first thing I'd do is start looking for work. Why? Because I'd need a job to earn enough to pay for my move back to the U.S.A. When the time comes, I want to die in my home country.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:34 AM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+2

Also, I don't know if this makes sense, but....
... If I awakened one morning and found myself retired in Portugal, the first thing I'd do is start looking for work. Why? Because I'd need a job to earn enough to pay for my move back to the U.S.A. When the time comes, I want to die in my home country.
I totally agree, and it makes loads of sense. “Retirement gone bad” is a nightmare scenario for all of us, but there is something worse, which is retirement gone bad while stranded in a foreign country because you don’t have the resources to return to the US.

As I’ve discussed in the past, our retirement Plan A was Venezuela, where we had lots of family, all our social circle and health care, and our primary residence. That plan and the whole country went to ****, a real life lesson that the best plans do end badly and losses can be catastrophic even when one does all the right things.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:41 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
As I’ve discussed in the past, our retirement Plan A was Venezuela, where we had lots of family, all our social circle and health care, and our primary residence. That plan and the whole country went to ****, a real life lesson that the best plans do end badly and losses can be catastrophic even when one does all the right things.
What a nightmare. But with hard work and determination you have managed to get out of there, and create a good retirement with Plan B. It can't have been easy and my heart goes out to you and your wife.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:06 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't mean to paint with a broad brush all expats who choose to retire to lower-cost-of-living countries overseas, but I find that some of them can be a bit smug toward the "natives" just because they are able to essentially buy their way into the country, so that somehow they feel themselves better or superior.

Case in point. Prior to the pandemic, I traveled to New Zealand often to visit a close cousin and his family who live there. One of his neighbors was a Brit who sold his property in the UK to invest in properties in NZ. He still worked in the UK but stayed in NZ part time to look after his investments and planned to retire there eventually. Over time I got to know him quite a bit. He would make comments about NZ properties being "so cheap" and how he was able to use his UK money to buy them. He would also make disparaging remarks about the locals, how they didn't know anything about running businesses or doing property investment, and that he was able to run circles around them. He just had this smug, arrogant attitude that somehow he was better than the locals because he had brought all this money into the country to invest. It was really grating.

I've detected the same bit of smugness in some of the Western expats I've met over the years on my travels. They don't really verbalize this smugness necessarily, but it has a way of bubbling to the surface just by the way they carry themselves or behave toward the locals. I suspect that a lot of them are not themselves conscious of this bias, but I have no doubt the locals pick up on it, and it wouldn't surprise me that this attitude contributes in no small measure to the locals' dislike of expats in general.
luckydude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 12:53 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
Add one more couple- this is our daughter and SIL. They didn't FIRE, but are "digital nomads" there.

https://www.youtube.com/c/HoneymoonAlways
They live in my neighborhood in Lisbon. I find their video's more realistic than most. They were very clear on why they were moving, and open about the challenges they have faced. I hope we have a chance to meet someday.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 12:56 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

This couple combines FIRE and moving to Portugal in their videos. They moved to Portugal with two pre-teens, documented their journey, and also started a channel on Financial Independence.

https://youtu.be/_TFshE-dWH0
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 01:13 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've seen numerous articles and blogs pointing to Portugal over the past 5+ years.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote