Join Early Retirement Today

Internet Banks question
Old 08-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Internet Banks question

I have been tempted by some CD rates offered by Internet banks. They have no brick and mortar buildings to visit, everything is done online or over the phone, or, GASP! by mail. I am thinking of using one to get a bit more interest on the money I am stashing away for the nest 12-24 months as I approach retirement. Of course, the bank must be FDIC insured. Are there any other considerations that need to be taken into account? Any surprises that you did not expect?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #2

No problem at all.
I have an online savings account earning 1.15% APY with Discover Bank. In the past, I have also had CDs with ING Direct and HSBC online banking, and have never had a problem with any of them.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yes, there can be a surprise...

I used Bank of the Internet and IIRC I could move money TO them online, but could not move money FROM them back to my brick and mortar bank... sure, I could write a check and deposit it, but that was a trip to the bank... also, trying to close an account is not easy.... they wanted forms etc... just wrote a check for the amount I had in the bank and deposited it... lost whatever interest I earned and have not tried to get it...

Have used ING and have been satisfied...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have used ING- Easy to navigate, Ally - great customer service, and Capital One- no complaints.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I have used ING, HSBC, USAA and Penfed. No complaints or surprises so far. Penfed is not actually an internet bank, but since I live no where close to one of its branches, it is for me.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #6

I use Ally bank all the time. Easy to transfer funds from Ally to BofA for my checking account. Two day transfer time from Ally. BofA wants three days and charges me a fee. I called Ally and they told me to do the transfer request thru Ally. In other words, haveAlly request transfer of funds from BofA to Ally. Quicker by a day and no fee.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

These are the ones I would suggest:

ING
Ally
Discoverbank
CapitalOne

There are many other good ones out there.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I have experience with Ally, Amex, & USAA. The only problem I had was with Ally's bill payer service. They made a $2k mistake by double paying off my Amex CC balance. Ally quickly removed the double payment when alerted but it took over a month and many calls for my money to be returned to my account.

After complaining to the FDIC and the OCC, Ally apologized and paid me the few cents of interest for holding my $2K in their coffers for so long. I essentially closed out the accounts by transferring the funds to a local CU.

That experience convinced me to avoid Internet banks for volatile checking accounts and large CDs because it is more effective working with an institution where you can meet with someone in person, if necessary. You aren't going to fly to their headquarters so Internet banks agents are not as responsive as those who work at brick and mortar locations, IMO.

(That is also the reason I prefer Fidelity over Vanguard and State Farm over GEICO.)
Old 01-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been thinking of the same thing but also wondered about the safety. The first thing I did was come here, then I thought I'd start some investigation. I called ALLY because I couldn't understand how they could be paying 1.6 for a 2 yr cd.

They are listed under the top 50 on the Federal Reserve page:

The National Information Center(NIC) - Home Page
As a matter of fact, most of the banks you people listed are here.

Or, if you want, you can go here:

FDIC: Institution Directory

and check an institution or holding company you want. By the way, ALLY is a holding company, but then too is PNC...which is one of our banks. I also bank at Dollar Bank and they were paying 2% on a savings you hold if you also have a checking. Now they pay 1.5% up to 20K. So, I'm keeping it there until it reaches $20K, then decide between CD's or bonds.
heirloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #10

I only use places with a location even if it is a two day drive. I could get there and solve a problem if I had too. I don't like internet only.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We moved all of our cash savings from our current bank to ING and Ally....up to the their insured amounts.

No downside, and they have paid a point higher than our bank for the past year.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Great experiences with Capital One and AMEX. No problems. Good websites and FDIC with better rates than brick and morter could offer.
MovingtotheCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:16 AM   #13

I buy all my CDs with Edward Jones. No surprise at all, and everything is online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Any surprises that you did not expect?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
No problem at all.
I have an online savings account earning 1.15% APY with Discover Bank. In the past, I have also had CDs with ING Direct and HSBC online banking, and have never had a problem with any of them.
+1 Exactly. I started with ING and then went to HSBC. Now with Discover Bank.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I buy all my CDs with Edward Jones. No surprise at all, and everything is online.
What is Edward Jones paying on a 1 and 2 year CD right now?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #16

I had an issue with ING...we had two different accounts with them, and I authorized an auto-transfer, but they took it from the wrong account, causing an overdraft. When they refused to pay for the overdraft, I moved my account...$75,000 worth...and then they charged me an "account closure" fee of about $25. Made me furious, so I wrote to the AG in their state and filed a complaint with the BBB as well. Can't recall the details...this was 6-7 years ago. They were so rude to me on the phone I could not believe it.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave
I had an issue with ING...we had two different accounts with them, and I authorized an auto-transfer, but they took it from the wrong account, causing an overdraft. When they refused to pay for the overdraft, I moved my account...$75,000 worth...and then they charged me an "account closure" fee of about $25. Made me furious, so I wrote to the AG in their state and filed a complaint with the BBB as well. Can't recall the details...this was 6-7 years ago. They were so rude to me on the phone I could not believe it.
Funny. I just cancelled an application @ING today. I had to call because I keep a credit lock in place. While on hold, they had an obnoxious commercial playing. I could break out of it. Then, they had a female voice providing instructions on how to obtain my account number if I didn't have it because she wasn't a mind reader. (I had my number.)

When the rep came on the line, I cancelled. I'm glad I did.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

i've used HSBC, ing and ally.

Ally has been my best experience thus far. i locked in some whopping 2.3% interest 5 years CD's last july. I believe it is 60 days penalty for early withdrawl...
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet bank