Join Early Retirement Today

investing for private school?
Old 08-31-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

investing for private school?

What is the best way to invest for private school?
I just sold a house and cashed in on 140K, I need to pay 20K for the next 7 years starting next august (2015). What is a reasonable way to invest this, so I can withdraw 20K every year, plus have some growth to allow for inflation of tuition.

Thanks
Norisk
norisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:36 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Something with no risk. You have a fixed series of obligations. CD ladder, inflation linked bonds, something like that.

Personally, I'd take a shot on year 6 and/or 7 tuition and stick some or all of those funds in the market, keeping the years 1-5 money in no risk investments. Assuming I had some back up funds in place in case the market doesn't go up within 6 years.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

K-12? or College?

K-12, one can use an Education Savings Account, but the contribution limit is low, something like $2,000 a year. I'd invest in a Vanguard LifeStrategy fund and just go with it.

College: 529 plan.

Note that one can give lots of money to the kid who can earn something like $2,000 tax-free from investments each year, so just just giving some money to kid to invest each year and cashing it in before gains are more than $2,000 and reinvesting could be worthwhile.

But, there will not be big gains unless one takes big risks. If the money does not gain or if there is a small loss, would that be a problem? Or would normal cash flow pay for education?

Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate Growth would be OK if one if comfortable with risk.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:38 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

it is K-12, actually will be 6-12.

what does this mean exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post

Note that one can give lots of money to the kid who can earn something like $2,000 tax-free from investments each year, so just just giving some money to kid to invest each year and cashing it in before gains are more than $2,000 and reinvesting could be worthwhile.
with CD rates so low, I am looking for something that hopefully may be a little higher than CD rates, but lower risk than market.

Does anyone have any experience with structured products? Like those CD-type things that have some downside protection and upside potential? Of course there is no free lunch, I understand, but just checking if there is something our there that I might not know about.

Thanks again.
norisk is offline   Reply With Quote