Join Early Retirement Today

Investing in Commercial RE - Strip Malls
Old 09-16-2005, 12:57 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Investing in Commercial RE - Strip Malls

We're thinking of purchasing a strip mall ... multiple tenants, and the Nashville / Williamson County, TN area is experiencing a fascinating amount of growth.

Would appreciate any sage advice on financing (likely current LTV's, rates, good lenders), better to buy or develop, better to buy the RE directly or find local ltd partnerships for commercial RE investment, location criteria, your success and / or disaster stories. Alternative commercial real estate investments ... our focus is on multi-tenant to reduce risk ... also considering small office / professional buildings. Success and / or distress stories would be helpful. Thanks.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Investing in Commercial RE - Strip Malls
Old 09-16-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Only did 1 commercial loan ... the rate was not good (~2% higher than residential). If I did this again I'ld try to get the seller to finance some/most of the deal at residential rates.

my 2 cents.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:12 PM   #3

Do tons and tons and tons of due diligence. Look at length and amount of leases. Look at weasel clauses. Have inspections done. Too numerous to name everything.

The payments on the loan probably won't be able to exceed some fraction of your gross revenue minus operation/maintenance/taxes/insurance costs. The lenders like to have their payments met and then some by your free cash flow. Might be a 1.25 multiplier (1.25 * loan payment = free cash flow required). That might help in evaluating the financing and feasibility. The rate - I'd say at least a point higher than the best residential rate out there. Maybe more depending on risk and the terms.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 05:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Do tons and tons and tons of due diligence.* Look at length and amount of leases.* Look at weasel clauses.* Have inspections done.* Too numerous to name everything.

The payments on the loan probably won't be able to exceed some fraction of your gross revenue minus operation/maintenance/taxes/insurance costs.* The lenders like to have their payments met and then some by your free cash flow.* Might be a 1.25 multiplier (1.25 * loan payment = free cash flow required).* That might help in evaluating the financing and feasibility.* The rate - I'd say at least a point higher than the best residential rate out there.* Maybe more depending on risk and the terms.*
Re. "due diligence", you can't overdo it. I have done it for myself
many many times, and have hired myself out to others to do it.
You can count on this. No matter how much time and effort you
expend, you will still have surprises. That is just how it works.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 12:25 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the tips ... any recommendations on commercial lenders?
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote