Join Early Retirement Today

Investing in "junk" Mortgage backed securities
Old 04-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Investing in "junk" Mortgage backed securities

So forgive me if this has been covered, but has anyone looked into this? NPR was doing a story on people buying securities for pennies on the dollar, betting that the monthly income would last long enough before everyone in it defaulted. I would think since these things are slices of hundreds (or thousands?) of mortgages they wouldn't all fail, and this might be an interesting play. If we still believe in efficient markets (ha ha) I guess the answer would be "you get what you pay for" but I seem to remember quite a few people making some decent profits off of junk bonds after they crashed and were stigmatized. Any thoughts? Any idea how to buy these efficiently/effectively?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not sure how a retail investor would buy this stuff. Institutions and traders have been doing so and iffy mortgage backed paper has rallied tremendously off the lows. I would not be eager to chase this stuff now. Sorry. FWIW, junk is no longer a bargain, either.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Dang! No get rich quick scheme there either? Thanks!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I recently passed on a $750k nonperforming loan on 31 apartment units in Keizer Oregon. Starting bid was $400k. If we foreclosed and ran them and were in them under a million they would have been pretty much certain moneymakers. Did'nt bid because i couldn't get enough information on the sticky details of making it a performing loan or foreclosure. within the last year i also passed on a package of one house and three loans in Phoenix, Superior, and Ajo AZ. Those I really regret - went for $62k AIR. Stuff is out there, but it takes serious detective skills and willingness to spend investigative cash up front or a gambler's mind and clanking brass ones. Perhaps not quite the NPR junk fund sort of thing...
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

From an NPR story a year or so ago, the guys then were visiting each loan location and putting in a lot of research. I can see where that could have a great potential for profit versus guys just buying them blind. I didn't catch the latest story.

Do the research.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
So forgive me if this has been covered, but has anyone looked into this? NPR was doing a story on people buying securities for pennies on the dollar, betting that the monthly income would last long enough before everyone in it defaulted. I would think since these things are slices of hundreds (or thousands?) of mortgages they wouldn't all fail, and this might be an interesting play. If we still believe in efficient markets (ha ha) I guess the answer would be "you get what you pay for" but I seem to remember quite a few people making some decent profits off of junk bonds after they crashed and were stigmatized. Any thoughts? Any idea how to buy these efficiently/effectively?
If you were intrigued by that NPR story, you may enjoy their Special Series "Planet Money's Toxic Asset".

Excerpt: "Planet Money is committed to following the financial crisis to the bitter end. And what better way to do that than to own a piece of it. We bought one of those things that no one wanted, one of those things that almost brought down the global economy: our very own toxic asset. This one has more than 2,000 mortgages in it. We paid $1,000, with our own money, for our piece."

Link: Planet Money's Toxic Asset : NPR
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Linney, that's the story I heard! Now I can follow it, thanks!
Old 04-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I must say after hearing that story, I to wanted to own a toxic asset.

In truth when Buffett was talking about co-investing with Treasury in buying Toxic assets back in fall 08, I would have gladly given Buffett a junk of money to invest.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
In truth when Buffett was talking about co-investing with Treasury in buying Toxic assets back in fall 08, I would have gladly given Buffett a junk of money to invest.
Me too. Back when Berkshire Hathaway shares were selling at a split-adjusted $65.

I can't wait to see the federal govt report on the TARP funds (and sales of the shares of the companies they got in return).

I'm still looking at shares of Central Pacific Bank and trying to figure out what the heck the dumb money knows that I don't...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

For those filled with the spirit of adventure and needing a place to gamble but without the desire to go to Vegas here you go: Auction.com, $200 million non-performing note auction, online bidding May10-12. $100 million in notes May 24-27.

I've not bought to date. Approach with due caution. Please share your experiences and any big oogies you spot - i'm drawn but skeered.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:10 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linney View Post
If you were intrigued by that NPR story, you may enjoy their Special Series "Planet Money's Toxic Asset".....
Link: Planet Money's Toxic Asset : NPR
Things are not going well for NPR's toxic asset.

Excerpts:
"She's not dead yet — but things are looking grim."
"Samir Noriega, a partner at NPM Capital Management, took a look at Toxie for us. He figured out that lenders forgave some of the principal on the some of the mortgages. Those are the kind of loan modifications the government's been encouraging as part of its HAMP plan, which is aimed at keeping more people in their homes and reducing the number of foreclosures"

Link to latest update: Toxie's In a Coma! : NPR

Linney is offline   Reply With Quote