Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2022, 12:46 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus View Post
I wouldn't bet on this. There is a shortage of demand vs production globally and the US government is currently adding a lot of oil to the market from the SPR that will have to stop as well later this year. Additionally, a lot of the current oil supply was from investments started in 2019-2020 here in the US. There is very little investment in the US right now for obvious reasons, so our production will decline over the next few years. There is additional transportation costs with the reshuffle of oil to get around the oil embargos. Now, the world economy could go into a recession, but right now all the major financial players (IMF, UN, research analysts at banks etc) are forecasting ~3% global GDP growth. GDP growth requires more energy.

Now if the US & Euro blink with Russia and drop the embargos, you would likely see oil decline into the 70-90s again but at this point that would be quite embarrassing to them.

Here is a WaPo article on the SPR issue with oil
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...296_story.html
I personally would not use the Washington Post as a source of financial and commodity news. The futures market and commitment of traders is a better indicator of where oil prices are headed. We all saw what happens back in 2020 when speculators were too long in their positions and commercial traders who actually take delivery of oil were short. We had oil drop to -$40 a barrel. We are setting up for a rapid plunge down to $70 or lower. Another indicator is if the market truly believed in a long term oil shortage, money would be flowing into oil drilling stocks in anticipation of CAPEX increases by producers. However oil drilling/service stocks are still trading at multi-decade lows.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2022, 12:59 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
I personally would not use the Washington Post as a source of financial and commodity news. The futures market and commitment of traders is a better indicator of where oil prices are headed. We all saw what happens back in 2020 when speculators were too long in their positions and commercial traders who actually take delivery of oil were short. We had oil drop to -$40 a barrel. We are setting up for a rapid plunge down to $70 or lower. Another indicator is if the market truly believed in a long term oil shortage, money would be flowing into oil drilling stocks in anticipation of CAPEX increases by producers. However oil drilling/service stocks are still trading at multi-decade lows.
I don’t use the WaPo for even a top 10 source of financial news but in this case the story is very accurate. 2020 isn’t even remotely applicable as more than half the developed world literally shut down overnight.

And no one is going to drill in the current administration. Has nothing to do with wanting to, the time to develop, along litigation cost and shut down risk is simply way too high. You can debate the pros and cons of the stance probably forever, but when the president says "Number one, no more subsidies for fossil fuel industry. No more drilling on federal lands. No more drilling, including offshore. No ability for the oil industry to continue to drill, period, ends, number one." people are not going to invest in that.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:22 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
My point is, if someone inherits cash, an automatic suggestion made by many is to DCA in. But if someone inherits investments, rarely does someone suggest they sell it all and DCA back in even though with stepped up basis one could easily do so. The starting position in both cases really isn't different, yet they are usually treated very differently.
Ok, it's clearer now. I personally wouldn't advise anyone to sell it all, without knowing most of their details. It may make great sense to do it right away in a taxable account. For other accounts there was no urgency, but it did weigh on me that a USAA S&P500 fund costs 10x's more that a Vanguard ETF investing in the same companies. Over a year or so we changed out those funds (in IRA's).

You may inherit assets that were invested according to a well-crafted plan. Why go to CASH in that situation? It will take some time to determine if the investments fit your plan, and so on. But at least take the time to analyze. That's not to say hold on to everything, like high-expense mutual funds.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:47 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My point is, if someone inherits cash, an automatic suggestion made by many is to DCA in. But if someone inherits investments, rarely does someone suggest they sell it all and DCA back in even though with stepped up basis one could easily do so. The starting position in both cases really isn't different, yet they are usually treated very differently.

That's a very valid point.

Consider my own tax-deferred accounts. I can sell everything at once, or as fast as I can click on my mouse button. No tax liability. No trading fee. I can then DCA back in.

And the truth is that late last year, I had the feeling the market was topping out. I would have lost less money if I did the above. Instead, I reduced my stock AA a bit, then sold put options which slowly brought up my stock AA again.

The reason people don't do everything at once is because of inertia. Doing something all at once means you could be 100% right, but also 100% wrong. The joy of being right is less than the regret of being wrong.

So, most people like to do something that they feel they can live with the result, no matter how it turns out.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:52 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Ok, it's clearer now. I personally wouldn't advise anyone to sell it all, without knowing most of their details. It may make great sense to do it right away in a taxable account. For other accounts there was no urgency, but it did weigh on me that a USAA S&P500 fund costs 10x's more that a Vanguard ETF investing in the same companies. Over a year or so we changed out those funds (in IRA's).

You may inherit assets that were invested according to a well-crafted plan. Why go to CASH in that situation? It will take some time to determine if the investments fit your plan, and so on. But at least take the time to analyze. That's not to say hold on to everything, like high-expense mutual funds.
Right. I wouldn't advise to sell either unless I could see that someone was in clearly the wrong investment for them, or a high fee investment.

But yet when someone gets cash, why should they tiptoe into the market by DCA? How is this money different? If they don't know what to invest in, they certainly should park it somewhere safe while they figure it out, but that wasn't the message here. It was DCA, DCA, DCA.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:52 PM   #66

Quote:
I don’t use the WaPo for even a top 10 source of financial news but in this case the story is very accurate. 2020 isn’t even remotely applicable as more than half the developed world literally shut down overnight.

And no one is going to drill in the current administration. Has nothing to do with wanting to, the time to develop, along litigation cost and shut down risk is simply way too high. You can debate the pros and cons of the stance probably forever, but when the president says "Number one, no more subsidies for fossil fuel industry. No more drilling on federal lands. No more drilling, including offshore. No ability for the oil industry to continue to drill, period, ends, number one." people are not going to invest in that.
Now for some facts. Rig counts peaked in 2012 at about 2000 and then collapsed due to oversupply to about 400 in 2016 due to a price war started by Russia and OPEC who were determined to put shale producers our of business. Many drillers were forced into bankruptcy. It recovered to over 1000 in 2018 but began to fall to 772 prior to the pandemic under the previous administration. It then plunged to 339 rigs in 2020 after the lockdowns. Rig counts have been slowly recovering and are now actually higher at 721 not too far below where it was before the pandemic. You are spewing a lot of nonsense about the current administration restricting drilling. There are over a thousand sites with proven reserves that can be reopened without drilling at new sites. Rig counts were at 2000 10 years ago. There are many drilling existing sites that are operable but producers know that they if they repeat the mistakes of the past, they will flood the market once again. The market knows this and oil producers know that they don't have to increase CAPEX to the extent they have in the past when there are so many sites sitting idle.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=43796
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 02:09 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

While there are global supply and demand considerations, the real issue in the US right now is refinery production, not crude oil supply. We've been operating at a deficit of about 500,000 bbls/day since the Pandemic started. Some of those refineries are TRYING to start up their idled assets, but in many cases are waiting on restart permits from the EPA. Meanwhile, refinery shutdowns in Marcus Hook, PA, Eagle Point, NJ, Philadelphia, PA, Port Reading, NJ, and a bunch of others are never coming back, as they have been decommissioned and sold as scrap.
madatrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 02:15 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Now for some facts. Rig counts peaked in 2012 at about 2000 and then collapsed due to oversupply to about 400 in 2016 due to a price war started by Russia and OPEC who were determined to put shale producers our of business. Many drillers were forced into bankruptcy. It recovered to over 1000 in 2018 but began to fall to 772 prior to the pandemic under the previous administration. It then plunged to 339 rigs in 2020 after the lockdowns. Rig counts have been slowly recovering and are now actually higher at 721 not too far below where it was before the pandemic. You are spewing a lot of nonsense about the current administration restricting drilling. There are over a thousand sites with proven reserves that can be reopened without drilling at new sites. Rig counts were at 2000 10 years ago. There are many drilling existing sites that are operable but producers know that they if they repeat the mistakes of the past, they will flood the market once again. The market knows this and oil producers know that they don't have to increase CAPEX to the extent they have in the past when there are so many sites sitting idle.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=43796
Nonsense? LOL It's a direct quote from Biden. There are many similar others from and others in leadership, not to mention court actions and executive orders. Yes there are a lot of rigs out there that have been approved already both in the prior admin and very early in this one including ones the court forced the current admin to allow - I already said that. There is a lot of inertia from the prior administration anytime a new president takes over on EVERYTHING and stuff you already have invested closer to the finish line you'll fight the good fight. But for new capital, the market is forward looking, not backward looking, as are all large companies when it comes to high capital investments with long investment time horizons. I will 100% gladly take the opposite side of that bet (financially, not touching the pros and cons of such an action politically at all).
Old 06-17-2022, 02:15 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
... Doing something all at once means you could be 100% right, but also 100% wrong. The joy of being right is less than the regret of being wrong. ...
Excellent! This is exactly what the behavioral finance people tell us. We are risk-averse animals where losses pain us more than the pleasure we would get from an equivalent gain.

Now I understand DCA at a deeper level. I never thought about it from the behavioral viewpoint.

Quote:
... But yet when someone gets cash, why should they tiptoe into the market by DCA? How is this money different? ...
@NW-Bound has explained. It isn't the money. It's the psychology. Risk aversion. We are Thaler's "humans" in this respect.

Thaler's "econs" OTOH would rationally invest 100% right away as the odds slightly favor a rising market during any DCA period.

Reference: Richard Thaler "Misbehaving." https://www.amazon.com/Misbehaving-B.../dp/039335279X One of several non-investment books that investors can learn from. Another important concept that bears on investing is the "endowment effect."
Old 06-17-2022, 02:41 PM   #70

As I said before, everyone lump sums in every day they are invested. Why would anyone sell all of their Roth/tIRA/401k and then DCA back in? It's a distinction without a difference.
Old 06-17-2022, 03:53 PM   #71

Quote:
I wouldn't bet on this. There is a shortage of demand vs production globally and the US government is currently adding a lot of oil to the market from the SPR that will have to stop as well later this year. Additionally, a lot of the current oil supply was from investments started in 2019-2020 here in the US. There is very little investment in the US right now for obvious reasons, so our production will decline over the next few years. There is additional transportation costs with the reshuffle of oil to get around the oil embargos. Now, the world economy could go into a recession, but right now all the major financial players (IMF, UN, research analysts at banks etc) are forecasting ~3% global GDP growth. GDP growth requires more energy.

Now if the US & Euro blink with Russia and drop the embargos, you would likely see oil decline into the 70-90s again but at this point that would be quite embarrassing to them.

Here is a WaPo article on the SPR issue with oil
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...296_story.html
Big oil is controlling production And controlling supply and controlling pricing all mixed in with a magical demand for oil number. lol
OPEC plus is grabbing as much money as possible out of the American middle class while they can as the game is changing.

It’s their fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders and blah blah blah. That’s fine I get it.

I find it amazing though that for decades big oil has been playing this game. The supply demand production game and the price gouging being blamed on a small insignificant oil refinery fire or some other ridiculous excuse to price gouge.

The American love affair with the automobile.🦄🌈

Yes the United States and Europe should ignore the unnecessary war that Russia started and drop The embargoes with Russia. 🤡.

Now that would be embarrassing.
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:05 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Big oil is controlling production And controlling supply and controlling pricing all mixed in with a magical demand for oil number. lol
OPEC plus is grabbing as much money as possible out of the American middle class while they can as the game is changing.

It’s their fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders and blah blah blah. That’s fine I get it.

I find it amazing though that for decades big oil has been playing this game. The supply demand production game and the price gouging being blamed on a small insignificant oil refinery fire or some other ridiculous excuse to price gouge.

The American love affair with the automobile.🦄🌈

Yes the United States and Europe should ignore the unnecessary war that Russia started and drop The embargoes with Russia. 🤡.

Now that would be embarrassing.
Meh, oil company margins are around 8%, not that high, and no one was crying when oil barrels were selling at negative values in May 2020. Oil is the ultimate boom and bust - everyone hates them when it’s up and doesn’t care when it’s down. On average though their margins are below average and the US and state governments make more from gas than the oil companies do.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:07 PM   #73
Administrator

<mod note> Let’s please set aside the politics, folks, and not ruin this delightful discussion.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:14 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Have been in the oil business for decades. Have never seen a case of this supposed "gouging".
madatrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:54 PM   #75

Quote:
Meh, oil company margins are around 8%, not that high, and no one was crying when oil barrels were selling at negative values in May 2020. Oil is the ultimate boom and bust - everyone hates them when it’s up and doesn’t care when it’s down. On average though their margins are below average and the US and state governments make more from gas than the oil companies do.
I am talking big picture. We all know the big oil game. No silly numbers needed.

My entire adult life the American middle class has been fleeced by big oil.

Fiduciary responsibility and it's just capitalism. Thats fine.

I look forward to shopping at Costco while my car charges.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:56 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatrub View Post
Have been in the oil business for decades. Have never seen a case of this supposed "gouging".
Thats funny. I had a feeling you work in the oil industry.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:58 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

I was surprised and elated that Sams gas is down 17 cents. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:59 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thats funny. I had a feeling you work in the oil industry.

So did I, 35 years worth, most in the field with the equipment that makes just about all the raw materials that go into everything a person owns and uses
Old 06-17-2022, 05:02 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
So did I, 35 years worth, most in the field with the equipment that makes just about all the raw materials that go into everything a person owns and uses
So you know the big oil game very well.
Old 06-17-2022, 05:11 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So you know the big oil game very well.
Yes, oil and gas companies employ millions of people and provide goods and services to most Americans. They provide fuel to heat your house, cook your food, run farm machinery and your car, make plastics (like you are typing on), make compounds for pharmaceuticals, make fuel for aircraft, and on and on.

To make a comprehensive list of the products that come out of hydrocarbons would take a day of typing, but I am sure you get the idea!

Try living without hydrocarbons.