Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Does anyone understand the economics of gas to liquid conversion? The technology is quite old and well established-maybe 100 years old! If this is not too wasteful, it would seem to have much to recommend it. Our trucks and over-the-road busses and trains already run on diesel. Europe is full of small efficient and fairly well performing direct injection turbo-charged diesels. Audi has gone quite far with this technology.
Ha
Understand? Not in the chemist sense of the word. However, I have been watching this story unfold for a few years in China and elsewhere. There is a company called Methanex that is the world's largest supplier of methanol. Basically, they take stranded deposits of natural gas and via a pretty simple process turn it into methanol, which is used as a precursor chemical for a huge variety of things. While it is still small, a fast-growing end-use is turning methanol into dimethyl ether (DME) and then blending the DME with other fuels as an extender. I am lead to understand that this is done to stretch diesel fuel and propane/cooking fuel. If you want to know more, look up their website and look at their presentations (pretty much all of them talk about it). Since this is a public company, I suspect you could also get on the horn and ask them questions about it. They are plenty knowledgable and usually are willing to talk about it.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2008, 12:00 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are many advantages to the CNG vehicles including cheaper operational costs and less engine maintenance and lower per mile fuel costs on top of the quite a bit lower pollution which will make it the growing fuel of choice in the coming years for govermental and enviromental groups.

As an investment perhaps CLNE??

Clean Energy Fuels Acquires Texas Landfill Gas Plant to Produce Renewable Gas: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:00 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Understand? Not in the chemist sense of the word. However, I have been watching this story unfold for a few years in China and elsewhere. There is a company called Methanex that is the world's largest supplier of methanol. Basically, they take stranded deposits of natural gas and via a pretty simple process turn it into methanol, which is used as a precursor chemical for a huge variety of things. While it is still small, a fast-growing end-use is turning methanol into dimethyl ether (DME) and then blending the DME with other fuels as an extender. I am lead to understand that this is done to stretch diesel fuel and propane/cooking fuel. If you want to know more, look up their website and look at their presentations (pretty much all of them talk about it). Since this is a public company, I suspect you could also get on the horn and ask them questions about it. They are plenty knowledgable and usually are willing to talk about it.
Thanks Brewer, will do.

Ha
Old 08-31-2008, 02:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
There are many advantages to the CNG vehicles including cheaper operational costs and less engine maintenance and lower per mile fuel costs on top of the quite a bit lower pollution which will make it the growing fuel of choice in the coming years for govermental and enviromental groups.

As an investment perhaps CLNE??

Clean Energy Fuels Acquires Texas Landfill Gas Plant to Produce Renewable Gas: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

This article in today's Houston Chronicle.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...z/5974815.html

Interesting and informative discussion..Thanks guys!
Old 08-31-2008, 05:01 PM   #25

check this out

index
Old 08-31-2008, 07:26 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

This CNG idea now has a very effective promoter in Boone Pickens. I hope it gets going.

Ha
Old 08-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyNormal View Post
I’m at a loss to see how anyone thinks the technology is no where close to being developed. Semi third world Thailand has both LPG and CNG cars and trucks on the road today. Lots of them. Some are dual fuel as Bultacoman mentioned. It’s not just fleet types, although I think all of BKK taxis are CNG or LPG as are most buses. The gasoline stations added the filling systems very quickly (took a couple of years) and now they’re all over the country. The guys who do the conversions have people standing in line.
CNG is huge in China, too. In the city where I used to live, public buses and most taxis converted to CNG several years ago -- most have a dual fuel system, but use CNG almost exclusively. Beijing is strangely behind the curve here (given the air pollution problem I suspect this has somethign to do with someone powerful owning/benefitting from a continued dominance of gas and diesel).

We rode in our first hybrid taxi the other day. Quite nice. Local model, made in Sichuan, though it was very similar in design to my sister's Prius. Watch out, Toyota!

lhamo
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
I've done that (CHK) and plan to buy more..I'd just like to place a small bet on something with bigger odds..
Just wondered if you have bought more? CHK been dropping like a rock in line with oil. I'm tempted to nibble. Anyone buying?

CHK - Chesapeake Energy Corporation - Google Finance
Old 09-09-2008, 06:48 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Just wondered if you have bought more? CHK been dropping like a rock in line with oil. I'm tempted to nibble. Anyone buying?

CHK - Chesapeake Energy Corporation - Google Finance
I guess no one is following or buying the stock. But interesting article on the CEO of CHK. Looks like he has been loading up on the stock this year. I guess this is an example where insider buying might have lead you down the wrong path. Long haul, probably a good trade to make.

StreetInsider.com - Chesapeake Energy's CEO (CHK) Aubrey McClendon Feels Pain Of Recent Stock Purchases
Old 09-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I guess no one is following or buying the stock. But interesting article on the CEO of CHK. Looks like he has been loading up on the stock this year. I guess this is an example where insider buying might have lead you down the wrong path. Long haul, probably a good trade to make.
It's on my list of stuff I look at every now and then. Right now I'm trying to edumacate myself a bit more on NatGas before I leap off into that arena. Old Aubrey has been buying the heck out of his own stock for a quite a while, and that impresses me and makes me want to own some of that sucker for myself. But it can wait a bit yet, I think. What with commodities getting beaten up lately. In the long run NatGas is going to be a serious money maker.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I'd check his compensation package out before I'd read too much into the executive buying. I've seen plenty of cases where the CEO helped himself to a $5M performance bonus and then bought $3M worth of stock with it...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote