Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2023, 09:09 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenUp View Post
The article titled Roth Conversion and Capital Gains On ACA Health Insurance might have been written just for you.

One thing that may not be mentioned there is how to account for long term capital loss carryovers in the suggested tool: they go in cell M57.
Its an awesome tool. I also used Turbo Tax with some mock up numbers to verify how this type of plan would work out. It checked out.
madatrub is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2023, 09:43 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatrub View Post
I understand that part, but in your example, doesnt that generate $58,450 in income that now puts me in a scenario where Im paying $300/mo for ACA and a $18,500 out of pocket max, while then being able to do no Roth conversion. Versus using the capital loss carryforward, reducing my income to zero, and then moving $58,450 in a roth conversion in the same year for the same ACA benefit?

In your example, I'd be able to perform no Roth conversion to capture that 0% tax rate (without pushing me into a higher tax bracket and/or minimizing how much roth conversion I could accomplish)
You misunderstand. I wasn't suggesting that you do $58,450 of LTCG but was just using that example to illustrate that the 0% capital gains tax bracket is so large that it is hard to get much benefit from your big tax loss carryforward.

From what you wrote it sounds like just about all your LTCG will be offset by loss carryovers so I don't see much sense of purposely skewing your investments to generate LTCG... whatever LTCG occur will be offset and therefore not taxed.

I don't get your last paragraph. While I'm not recommending that you do $58,450 of LTCG, even if you did it would be offset by $58,450 of loss carryforward and you could still do whatever you want for Roth conversions given your ACA targets.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 10:02 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You misunderstand. I wasn't suggesting that you do $58,450 of LTCG but was just using that example to illustrate that the 0% capital gains tax bracket is so large that it is hard to get much benefit from your big tax loss carryforward.

From what you wrote it sounds like just about all your LTCG will be offset by loss carryovers so I don't see much sense of purposely skewing your investments to generate LTCG... whatever LTCG occur will be offset and therefore not taxed.

I don't get your last paragraph. While I'm not recommending that you do $58,450 of LTCG, even if you did it would be offset by $58,450 of loss carryforward and you could still do whatever you want for Roth conversions given your ACA targets.
Sorry let me try to explain better, with an example:

If I have 750k after tax income invested in short term treasuries. I earn $37,500 in interest at 5% in a year. With a carryloss my AGI is $34,500. In this example, I convert $15,500 Roth. That puts me at $50k AGI, which qualifies me for a ACA plan in my state costing $205/mo with a $18,200 out of pocket max. In this scenario I pay $2,236 in federal tax.

Now assume If I have 750k after tax income invested in the market, lets assume I need to withdraw 75k to live in that year, and $37,500 of that is LTCG. I then convert $33,000 Roth. That puts me at $30k AGI, which qualifies me for an ACA plan in my state costing $14/mo with a $6,000 out of pocket max. In this scenario I pay $230 in federal taxes.

Scenario A = $4,696 cost (Tax + Medical), $18,200 OOPM, $15,500 roth conversion

Scenario B = $398 cost (Tax + Medical), $6,000 OOPM, $33,000 roth conversion

Does that make more sense?
madatrub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 05:00 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatrub View Post
My plan requires a bridge from Retirement to 65 that minimizes MAGI for max ACA subsidies. I have a significant capital loss carryforward that will likely reduce my capital gains to $0 MAGI across much of that bridge. My intention is to use ROTH conversions as the lever to maintain income for ACA purposes.

In order to do that successfully, I need to minimize Interest and Dividend income during that bridge such that my income sources are predominantly after tax capital gains.

Looking for some suggestions on investments that meet this criteria. I'm fairly risk adverse, and want to maintain some capital preservation in the event of a down market during the "bridge".
I retired at 50 (currently 56) and also try to keep my MAGI low for ACA purposes. I also am using the Roth conversions to set my MAGI. You need to keep your MAGI above around $25-$27K, otherwise you fall into the Medicaid range. This year I signed up my wife and I for an HSA Bronze plan, which can deduct $9,750 for both of us.

I also had a capital loss of $-19K to help offset my AGI. I used the overall money from that capital loss transaction, and just let it sit in the Vanguard Money Market Fund - which is currently offering an annualized rate of 5.03%. This is the primary money source that I access to minimize dividends.

Remember that the standard deduction for married is $27,700, so really you can have a MAGI just above $35,450 and you won't owe any federal taxes. By using CDs, you can get a 5% return right now, and many CDs that I've seen on Vanguard and Fidelity don't pay any interest until they mature.

My wife wanted to have a more conservative portfolio mix, so we've moved from 85%/15% down to 70%/30% by using T-bills, I-bonds, and CDs to make our portfolio more conservative.
orbops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 08:27 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

In your shoes I would put a good amount into Berkshire Hathaway B. It is likely to grow over the next five years, and it pays no dividend.
yclipse is offline   Reply With Quote