Join Early Retirement Today

Investment strategy help
Old 01-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Investment strategy help

I just became unemployed and will be 58 next month. DW says I should just retire. I have about 455,000
100,000 in a 401k 50% mutual funds 25%bond fund and 25% equity fund
110,000 roll over with 20% direct equities and 80% Russell family of funds
40,000 in trade account 90% direct equities,
20,000 cash in savings
15000 CDs
170,000 in various other funds, equitiesfunds, emerging markets,Asian,income,and world funds. all but 75,000 is at a brokerage and I would like to be more self directed with out a brokerage. What strategy and percentages should I use
I have to withdraw about 2200 per month for the next 48 months the after that 500 per month to maintain a 42,000 dollar a year life I ran several scenarios in Fire Calc and get 94% but I am not sure of the Portfolio numbers in Fire Calc. DW has SSI of 14400 now I expect 17000 SSI in 2015 and also 7200 from a pension in 2015
I am new to this and could use some insite
Thanks
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome, Mike 517.

Sorry about the job, but I agree with DW that you probably have the option to pull the plug now if your are ready.

#1 piece of advice: if you're going through a layoff, it's an emotional time. (Search on "Ralph", for a recent example.) Other than signing up for COBRA health insurance continuation and unemployment benefits if you are eligible, there's very little that has to be decided in a matter of days (or even weeks).

#2 - You didn't specifically mention whether health care insurance is one of the expenses included in your $42,000 per year spending target. You'll want a solid plan for bridging the years until you are eligible for Medicare.

#3 - Keep working with Firecalc and other online calculators to get really comfortable with your numbers. As you do, add more complexity regarding what-if's for inflation, taxes, market returns, unforeseen expenses, etc

#4 - I agree that you should be looking at some cleanup and consolidation in your portfolio. It would appear you've drifted past "diversified" toward "jumbled". (Happens to many of us - I've spent the past few weeks working on the same thing.)

# 5 - Vanguard and Fidelity are two firms that offer relatively low costs and very little hype to self-directed investors, for both mutual funds and brokerage accounts.

#6 - I see you live in Idaho. Really check your seat cushions closely if you bought a lottery ticket last Tuesday, but somehow misplaced it.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #3

Hi Mike, if you are receiving unemployment $ don't forget to add it into firecalc. That can boost your #'s a bit.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:48 AM   #4

Sometimes ER comes as a blessing in disguise.
Be creative to reduce cost of living in ways that do not destroy your joy of ER. Even small items add up long term.
You may find some helpful advise in Ralph Warner's book "You do not need a million to retire well". And get it from the library, you may still buy it later if you like it enough...
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:18 AM   #5

I suggest you go to Bogleheads forum. Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info You may need to do a little more homework to get advice, but I find they will give you some good insights. Not everyone will agree with 'A solution', but you will get a good points to consider.

Best of luck
Old 01-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

Htown Harry, as for health ins I will be on Cobre until Feb 2012 and DW has Humana and VA health care and we did budget for it. We are debt free except the house. I did look under the sofa cusion for the ticket but I believe a Wa fellow and a 61 year old fellow in North Idaho split the money 191,000,000 each
Chris2008 I will check out the book
Megacorp-free I will check out the web site thanks
73ss454 I accounted for the unemployment, BTW When I was younger I had a 72 Chevelle SS 454 I couldnt keep tires on it. LOL
Old 01-10-2011, 06:55 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
I suggest you go to Bogleheads forum. Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info You may need to do a little more homework to get advice, but I find they will give you some good insights. Not everyone will agree with 'A solution', but you will get a good points to consider.

Best of luck
+1 on this. If you are nice, Bogleheads seem to have infinite patience for very analytical and specific answers. And for free, you won't get better advice for the money.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote