Join Early Retirement Today

IRA/401k beneficiaries
Old 10-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IRA/401k beneficiaries

We just completed revising our estate planning documents and made a lot of changes. One thing we learned based on a Supreme Court decision in 2013, is that inherited IRA and 401k accounts (other than by the spouse) are not protected from creditors or a divorce settlement.
Our attorney had us set up an IRA Trust to protect the assets and we are in the process of changing the contingent beneficiaries for all of our retirement accounts to the IRA Trust.
I hadn’t been aware of this and hadn’t seen it discussed here before.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

This kind of stuff important and it is a big deal. Low probability, high impact. Another scenario has mom and dad gone in a single disaster with no wills, leaving minor children with possibly a court-appointed guardian and/or conservator. While the majority of folks who get these court-appointed jobs are trustworthy, some are not. Relatively unfettered access to a large pot of money is a temptation that not all can resist.

So, all kinds of pathological situations must be considered in an estate plan. One is that the kids must have wills.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
IRA/401k beneficiaries
Old 10-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

IRA/401k beneficiaries

In 3/4 of States, inheritances are not subject to equitable distribution because, by law, inheritances are not considered marital property. Instead, inheritances are treated as separate property belonging to the person who received the inheritance, and therefore may not be divided between the parties in a divorce.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REattempt View Post
In 3/4 of States, inheritances are not subject to equitable distribution because, by law, inheritances are not considered marital property. Instead, inheritances are treated as separate property belonging to the person who received the inheritance, and therefore may not be divided between the parties in a divorce.

All it takes is one little mistake for a lawyer to argue something is marital property. I learned that the hard way back in 1993.
An IRA Trust offers protection in a divorce and from creditors. With nearly $3 million in tax deferred accounts, we’ll take our attorney’s advice. Laws and court decisions change things all the time. That’s why it’s important to update Trusts and wills every few years.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by REattempt View Post
Inheritance can easily become marital property by accident, lots of ways it happens.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote