Join Early Retirement Today

Ira Contribution
Old 01-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Ira Contribution

Will my Ira contribution be deductible if I worked one month last year and I have a taxable pension ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Assuming your MAGI is low enough to qualify for a deductible IRA, yes, it should be deductible to the extent of your earned income (or the contribution limit, whichever is lower). The pension has nothing to do with it other than being added into your MAGI for these purposes.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I started a similar thread and got some good information here: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...+deductibility
Old 01-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Right, you have to have earned income from work. I assume that the work did not have any kind of retirement plan for you to contribute to.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Right, you have to have earned income from work. I assume that the work did not have any kind of retirement plan for you to contribute to.

It was just a perdiem job that I did for the month of Jan. .So far it looks like I can contribute the entire amount I made to an IRA which is good as I made some tax mistakes this year . It was my first full year retired and I was not sure how much to pay in estimated taxes and I did not pay enough .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As long as your estimated taxes add up to your tax liability for last year (this one may not work). Or, alternatively, as long as the amount owed is less than $1,000 there is no penalty.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
As long as your estimated taxes add up to your tax liability for last year (this one may not work). Or, alternatively, as long as the amount owed is less than $1,000 there is no penalty.
I don't think the last sentence is quite correct....IRS treats withholding better than paying estimated taxes. Last sentence would be true if tax owed less withholding (and some credits) was less than $1,000. Not true if tax owed less estimated taxes < $1K though penalties/interest may not be too bad at
that level.

see Exceptions to penalty on 1st pg of this:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i2210.pdf
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote