Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

IRA, HSA, 401K, 529.... is there anything else?
Old 05-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

IRA, HSA, 401K, 529.... is there anything else?

Are there any other tax-beneficial vehicles for someone to use?

Say hypothetically all of the above are maxed out.

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these." - George Washington Carver
angelbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Make sure you have a six month after tax emergency fund in case you got laid off. That way you won't have to dip into them. Then invest aftertax.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Real property maybe (ie. real estate)? I am just starting to look into the this myself having always used REIT's in the past for exposure to this asset class and never owned a home or rental property. I still haven't decided if the potential benefits outweigh the almost certain hassles.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Hey angelbaby,

Welcome here.

You did not mention a Roth, a coffee can buried in the back yard or your mattress. So, there are three more to consider.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

403(b), 457, FSA, ..., tax exempt bonds, I-bonds, ...

If you invest tax efficiently in a taxable account, that can do wonders for your net worth.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

IBonds are tax-deffered. Unfortunately, the rate just reset 1 May the fixed rate is .1%. Unfortunately, you can only buy $10K a year - $5k in paper - and $5K thru Treasury Direct.
RoccoPacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoPacco View Post
IBonds are tax-deffered. Unfortunately, the rate just reset 1 May the fixed rate is .1%. Unfortunately, you can only buy $10K a year - $5k in paper - and $5K thru Treasury Direct.
Given what they are doing to the program, I'm not so sure these limits are unfortunate any more.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

SEP/Simple IRA if you have a second job as an Independant Contractor or own your own part-time business.

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #9

Mortgaged paid off?
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

There are more, but usually they are different types of the same thing. 403b is a 401K for the public/npo sector, etc. 401K, 403b, FSA, SEP, Simple, Keough, etc. are all qualified plans. As far as I know you can't max(in combination) any of these out more than the highest contribution limit of those you own. I'm not sure about that, but I had a minor discussion with an accountant several months ago about this and he said as qualified retirement accounts they all play against each other. IE you have a max of 46K in your SEP and you put 5k in a 401K, now you can only put 41K towards your SEP.

A 457(something offered to NPO, gov employees) isn't a qualified plan its a deferred comp plan and therefore allows another tax sheltered amount equal to the 401K. We do a lot of work in deferred comp(primarily Supplemental Executive Retirement Plans--SERPs) and that is another way to shelter more money(and do tax arbitrage between the company and you), but the employer has to set it up. The last one is life insurance(what we traditionally use for the SERPs). If all of the above is maxed out Life insurance can offer limitless amounts of tax sheltered money. Look into indexed universal life(max non mec funded). With wash loans it acts like a Roth.

Oh and pensions, too. But those are disappearing fast. Also tax deductible oil drilling programs offer limitless amounts of tax deductibility. ESA too, but the max drops from 2K to 500 like next year.
dshibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

"Mortgaged paid off?" If he has a good interest rate and enough income to max out all those accounts(thereby giving a big mortgage interest deduction) I wouldn't recommend paying off the mortgage, its cheap money.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #12

I've been wondering about this myself. Maxed out on our 401(k)s. Don't qualify for IRA or Roth IRA deductions. IBonds paying nothing. Five years until retirement and not sure what to do with a large sum in taxable that is still growing. A nice problem to have, but right now MM is not where this money should be (beyond an emergency fund).

Muni-bonds for a California resident? You either pick CA muni bonds and accept the risk, or go with a national muni bond fund and pay the nearly 10% state income tax on the gains. I guess saving the federal taxes is better than nothing.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Non-qualified fixed annuities, rates are pretty low now though, not the best time to buy. When inlfation comes roaring back, a lot of things will look interesting. I remember the 7% 7 year fixed annuities that were around in the late 90's......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

401a?

I'm really not exactly sure what the heck it is but they offer one if you work in AZ gov.

Details = http://www.azasrs.gov/web/pdf/Special_Notice_SRSP.pdf
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

You could buy and hold Berkshire Hathaway stock. It doesn't pay any dividends, so no capital gains tax owed until you sell and then tax is (currently) only 15%.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:05 PM   #16

Flexible spending accounts for heathcare and childcare. Tax-beneficial, but not accumulating.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Not annuities and definitely not fixed anything right now. I said indexed life, the actual policy. I still would put money in equities right now, but a year or so from now indexed life is a perfect place for people that have maxed out their retirement accounts and still want favorable tax treatment. After that, its a product that participates in most of the market when it goes up and has no risk of principal loss when it goes down. There are a lot more details than that, but track that down yourself.
FYI there are only a handful of people in my metro that know much about these or know how to set them up properly. Do your due diligence in finding someone that knows what they are talking about with these products.

401a is another qualified plan like a 401k.

Tags
401k, money, retirement, roth ira, taxes