Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2020, 07:13 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnemj View Post
We do have withholding from our pension and usually get a small tax refund. I moved $75 K from our IRA into a newly established Roth IRA with Fidelity. The advisor at Fidelity offered me the choice of having tax withholding out of the transfer or pay it in 2021. This thread has me a little worried!
It sounds like there may be just cause to worry.

If you plug your full year 2020 estimated numbers in to this tax calculator, how much will you owe? I suspect that you should either do an estimated payment or an additional tIRA withdrawal with 100% withholding (if you are over 59 1/2).

https://www.dinkytown.net/java/1040-tax-calculator.html

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I suspect that you should either do an estimated payment or an additional tIRA withdrawal with 100% withholding (if you are over 59 1/2).

https://www.dinkytown.net/java/1040-tax-calculator.html

Maybe an obvious question for folks here... How do you do an estimated payment? I have never done estimated taxes where you pay quarterly. I did a Roth conversion last year (first full year of retirement) and ended up under withheld so I had a small penalty. I'd like to avoid that this year. It wasn't much of a penalty, but it caused me to do a whole bunch of googling to figure out how I screwed up.
JohnML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:11 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnML View Post
Maybe an obvious question for folks here... How do you do an estimated payment? I have never done estimated taxes where you pay quarterly. I did a Roth conversion last year (first full year of retirement) and ended up under withheld so I had a small penalty. I'd like to avoid that this year. It wasn't much of a penalty, but it caused me to do a whole bunch of googling to figure out how I screwed up.
Start at https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/ to enroll, and you also set up your payments there. It's been so long that I don't remember the steps but my memory is that it was easy.

Do a search for your state if you pay state taxes.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

^^^ easiest way, or you can mail them a check with an estimated payment voucher.... actually if you sent them a check with your SS# ine memo field it would probably work but I try to limit where my SS# is out there.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:16 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can also do a one-time payment without enrolling here: https://directpay.irs.gov/directpay/...execution=e2s1
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:22 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Start at https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/ to enroll, and you also set up your payments there. It's been so long that I don't remember the steps but my memory is that it was easy.

Do a search for your state if you pay state taxes.
JohnML: Once you enroll you will need to wait for a letter with your access info. Then you can easily set up the payments.

In my state (MO) the on-line system is cumbersome, and you can't set up future payments, so I just mail a check.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

One thing I really like about EFTPS that the others may or may not have, is a record of your payments in one place. At tax time, or any other time throughout the year, I can verify all of the payments I've made, and also that the IRS has properly credited them to me.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote