IRA withdrawal tax strategy

I'm assuming you mean QCDs here? I'd love to have this be true but my impression is that it was not permanently changed.......just the usual retroactive for 1 yr dance that they've done for the last few yrs.
New Law Renews IRA Transfers to Charity for 2014; Owners Must Act by Dec. 31

If you have other info, please let us know.

See Publication 590-B (2014), Distributions from Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)

which discusses 2015 RMD's and then look under

Miscellaneous Rules for Required Minimum Distributions

where it discusses QCD's & their counting towards RMD's. And there's no discussion that this is a one year thing as in the past.

Sounds like you might be better off to keep the cash since you have already paid tax on that money and gift the same amount from your IRA to the charity.

Exactly. As I gift money from the IRA I will move cash to my spending or investment accounts. In the mean time, the gifted cash will stay in it own bank account because I don't think of it as mine. Its for a construction project and they are not ready to begin that yet.

See Publication 590-B (2014), Distributions from Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)

which discusses 2015 RMD's and then look under

Miscellaneous Rules for Required Minimum Distributions

where it discusses QCD's & their counting towards RMD's. And there's no discussion that this is a one year thing as in the past.

Both the IRS link I posted and this Fairmark Forum :: Retirement Savings and Benefits :: QCD Extended retroactively for 2014 refer to an extension. The fairmark thread is clear that it is for 2014 only. The Publication does not mention either the extension or the fact that it is permanent . I would not conclude that the QCD is permanent from that.

https://www.kitces.com/blog/tax-ext...an-landscape-for-special-needs-beneficiaries/

Last edited:
Both the IRS link I posted and this Fairmark Forum :: Retirement Savings and Benefits :: QCD Extended retroactively for 2014 refer to an extension. The fairmark thread is clear that it is for 2014 only. The Publication does not mention either the extension or the fact that it is permanent . I would not conclude that the QCD is permanent from that.

https://www.kitces.com/blog/tax-ext...an-landscape-for-special-needs-beneficiaries/

OK. But I'm telling you the IRS link I provided a) specifically discusses 2015 RMD's & b) the QCD is exempted in that same link. What else can it mean than for 2015? Also, there's no mention of it expiring.

I suggest your links are older than mine. I also recollect reading/hearing the law being changed to make this permanent but can't find anything about that tax act now.

OK. But I'm telling you the IRS link I provided a) specifically discusses 2015 RMD's & b) the QCD is exempted in that same link. What else can it mean than for 2015? Also, there's no mention of it expiring.

I suggest your links are older than mine. I also recollect reading/hearing the law being changed to make this permanent but can't find anything about that tax act now.

My interpretation is that the 2014 Pub 590 was held pending last minute Congressional action and then rushed into print. 2015 RMDs are discussed because their amount is determined by their 2014 year end value and that is useful to know for planning purposes. QCDs are discussed because they can
relate to 2014 taxes which is the primary function of a 2014 Publication.
The publication does not say specifically that QCDs are available in 2015.

Congressional action to extend the QCD for 2014 came at the last minute in
2014 as it did in past years. It would be a stretch of my imagination to believe that Congress would exert itself in Dec . 2014 for a temporary extension for QCDs and then subsequently come back a short time later and make them permanent. I'm pretty sure if that happened it would be big news and we would have no trouble finding links.

I'd love for that to be true though so if you do find a link , please post it.

Don't want to hijack this thread but it brings up a point we are considering now. We are currently in the 15% tax bracket. We are looking to get a ACA subsidy if BCBS doesn't renew our non-ACA compliant policy so we were thinking of converting some of our IRA into a Roth this year. We were thinking of using the conversion to reduce RMDs in the future. Anyone have a way to determine how much makes it worthwhile if it pushes you to the 25% or greater tax bracket? We are both 59.

CorporateORphan:

Very good to see your post on this subject. My wife and I are both 59 and have a similar situation. Our spreadsheet maps the route well. Yes, some things will surely change, but even if they do I see that we're in nice shape.

We FIRE both of our employers at the end of 2017. We'll have 70% of our assets in tax deferred accounts ( taxable IRAs). We will be maxing out the 15% tax bracket in staying as tax-efficient as possible. Age 70 and later, as new revenue sources enter (MRDS, small non-COLA pensions and Social Security), we see 15% tax bracket headroom during IRA draw down almost go away. THEN the 2033 (or whatever year this happens) Social Security REDUCTION to 75 cents on the dollar comes to the rescue and allows us much new room to:

a. Stay in the 15% tax bracket
b. Chip away and continue the draw down of the remaining $313k in taxable IRAs
c. Watch the MRDS go DOWN each year due to reduced tax deferred $$

Who would have thought that we would benefit from the Social Security 75% reduction? Cool!

Our current FIRE timeframe is EOY 2017. We've been holding off retiring due to our only child (son) still in college. He graduates in May of 2017. We want to make sure he gets a good launch.

We may decide to FIRE our employers at the same time our son graduates. If so, it would be a double graduation party! Our son graduates from college and we graduate to life after working or retirement!

Feel free to contact me directly if you feel that I could help you. Things that we share:

a. Ages, 59, for us and spouses
b. Desire for ACA subsidized healthcare before Medicare happens
c. Need to drawdown and/or convert taxable IRAs
d. Desire to remain as tax efficient as possible. For us this means staying in the 15% tax bracket during the draw down period.
e. I was a corporate orphan twice. A non-profit job currently keeps me busy.

Oh, the information that comes with being about to project your financial situation into the future. Yes, there are risks involved with this and again, yes, things will surely change. Understood.

However, there is nothing more powerful and comforting when answering that haunting question for yourself: "Will we have enough to retire on". I can say with certainty that YES, we will!

So, anyone who hasn't already started your own spreadsheet, don't put it off any longer. It provides VERY powerful information and real peace of mind. Get started today!

P.S. During MRD calculations don't forget that Soc Sec is taxed at a MAXIMUM of 75%. Don't have it in your spreadsheet as 100% taxable as I did initially. Also MRDs, year one, start at 3.7% of your taxable IRA balance, increment by .2 per year, so 10 years later are 5.5%...

Good luck and go speadsheeting! They truly become a labor of love.

- Gary

Last edited:
Tax efficient withdrawal strategy

Our spreadsheet is complemented by using TurboTax Deluxe. The spreadsheet handles most of the future projections. We use TurboTax for the taxation portion.

It would be very nice if there was a way to use pointers or links between the two of them similar to working on one Excel spreadsheet Worksheet and pointing/linking/referencing cells on another Worksheet in the spreadsheet.http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/images/smilies/blink.gif

Use of these two provides all the info that we need to feel confident in our decisions. We've run the spreadsheet results by a few financial planner types. After answering their numerous questions they run Monte Carlo projections. The results are very much the same as what our spreadsheet generates. So, I'm very happy with using a spreadsheet for most of it and doing tax projections using TurboTax. I remind myself that TurboTax 2014, for example, is using the tax rules of the day (e.g. tax bracket maximums, etc.). We make allowances for this the best that we can. All-and-all... very happy with this combination of financial forecasting tools.
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/images/smilies/smiley.gif

Our spreadsheet is complemented by using TurboTax Deluxe. The spreadsheet handles most of the future projections. We use TurboTax for the taxation portion. ....

What I did is I built a simplified tax calculation into my model. It is dividends + LTCG + Roth conversion - HSA contributions - medical expenses in excess of 10% of AGI - property taxes - prior year state income taxes - contributions - home mortgage interest - exemptions and then applying the tax calculations based on current tax rates and brackets, assuming the rate stay the same but the brackets increase for inflation. If i do a taxcaster calculation using the same info it comes out close but is different because I am using the 2015 exemptions and tax brackets and taxcaster uses the 2014 exemptions and tax brackets.

It was a bit of a bear to build into the spreadsheet, but it works well.

Was just wondering where the 75% taxation of SS came from?

Google: "Projected Trust Fund Exhaustion". 2033 is when the Social Security trust fund is exhausted to the point where benefits should reduce to 75% of what they should be.

It's not 75% taxation of SS, but 75%... or 75 cents on the dollar of what the benefits normally would have been. Hope this helps.

Google: "Projected Trust Fund Exhaustion". 2033 is when the Social Security trust fund is exhausted to the point where benefits should reduce to 75% of what they should be.

It's not 75% taxation of SS, but 75%... or 75 cents on the dollar of what the benefits normally would have been. Hope this helps.

I thought he was referring to the fact that at most you are taxed on 75% of SS income. :confused:

Ticker,

You mention delaying social security a few months next year and I see from another post that suggests you plan on taking SS at age 62. Have you investigated alternate claiming strategies ? Perhaps you would be better using your IRA's early and delaying SS. Most analysis leans in that direction particularly if you have been the higher earning spouse. Food for thought.

Thanks, Woodguy for the suggestion. I have an unusual situation that pretty much boxes me in for the early SS claim. In addition, if I make the claim at 62 or so, I won't have to touch my retirement money until MRD time, giving me a great tax benefit since all of the SS will be untaxed. We are also facing the possibility of reduced SSD benefits for my DW with the pending funding issue, so all signs currently point to a 62+ claim.
But I still have 1 1/2 years to figure it out, and maybe some things may change.

Anyone have experience with a companies called RetireIncome.com and Social Security Solutions? I believe that they have the same ownership. They have a product called Retirement Benchmark.

Our spreadsheets show good news for our upcoming FIRE. We would feel a little better getting (another) second or third opinion. We are thinking very seriously about spending money and having them review things.

Some of their ways of helping customers:

Tax efficient spend-down strategy
Optimal Social Security claiming
Detailed withdrawal strategy
Diagnostics and comparisons
Advice on how to allocate assets and where to locate them
more...

Anyone else worked with these guys and have advice?

Thanks.

Ticker,

You mention delaying social security a few months next year and I see from another post that suggests you plan on taking SS at age 62. Have you investigated alternate claiming strategies ? Perhaps you would be better using your IRA's early and delaying SS. Most analysis leans in that direction particularly if you have been the higher earning spouse. Food for thought.

Woodguy- Help me through this logic-I have taken a cursory look at the numbers and am trying to understand the better way to claim.
Let's assume I need $40k a year to live on.

If I delay SS and start taking money out of my IRA, my only tax relief would be credit for my standard deduction and my 2 exemptions. ($20,300 in 2014). So if I took $40k out of the IRA, $19,700 would be taxed at 10/15%. (40k-20,300 exemptions=19,700, estimated taxes of $2032).

If I took SS early, say my SS benefit is $18k a year, and withdrew $22k from the IRA, my adjusted income would be $1700 since I would exclude the SS income because my adjusted gross income would be less than the $32k floor to make SS taxable. (22k withdrawal-20,300 exclusions=1700, $170 taxes)
The tax savings in this case is more than the 8% increase I would be forgoing for the year, and although it's not compounded, it would be enough for me.

In my instance, I don't see the need to wait. Meanwhile, more of my IRA continues to stay invested.

Am I missing anything here? numbers, especially when it comes to taxes and SS, aren't exactly my strong suit. Anyone with experience on how this strategy would affect my situation when it came time for RMD's?

Woodguy- Help me through this logic-I have taken a cursory look at the numbers and am trying to understand the better way to claim.
Let's assume I need $40k a year to live on.

If I delay SS and start taking money out of my IRA, my only tax relief would be credit for my standard deduction and my 2 exemptions. ($20,300 in 2014). So if I took $40k out of the IRA, $19,700 would be taxed at 10/15%. (40k-20,300 exemptions=19,700, estimated taxes of $2032).

If I took SS early, say my SS benefit is $18k a year, and withdrew $22k from the IRA, my adjusted income would be $1700 since I would exclude the SS income because my adjusted gross income would be less than the $32k floor to make SS taxable. (22k withdrawal-20,300 exclusions=1700, $170 taxes)
The tax savings in this case is more than the 8% increase I would be forgoing for the year, and although it's not compounded, it would be enough for me.

In my instance, I don't see the need to wait. Meanwhile, more of my IRA continues to stay invested.

Am I missing anything here? numbers, especially when it comes to taxes and SS, aren't exactly my strong suit. Anyone with experience on how this strategy would affect my situation when it came time for RMD's?

You are comparing the 8% increase to the taxes saved for one year. The 8% increase is for each and every year until you (and spouse if they claim your ss) die.

It gets to the biggest question. When will we die?

Last edited:
You are comparing the 8% increase to the taxes saved for one year. The 8% increase is for each and every year until you (and spouse if they claim your ss) die.

It gets to the biggest question. When will we die?

I realize about the increase each year, (that's what I meant about the compounding), but when you take the taxes into consideration ( I just realized that I would need a $42k+/- withdrawal to net the $40k I require), the equation seems to change. Not only do I have to consider the 8% forgone increases, I have to also consider the additional $2k draw down of my IRA to cover the taxes for each year that I delay.

Yes, I meant to say taxes on a maximum of 85%, not 75%, on Social Security. Good catch. Thanks.

On a totally separate thing... I mentioned the Social Security benefits reduction to 75 cents on the dollar announced currently to happen in 2033 as the SS trust fund becomes exhausted or drawn down enough to require the reduction in benefits payments to all.

Username change:

BTW, I'm now using "Happily Retired" instead of "ThisIsHowWeRoll" as my Username. I was not able to get any response or help from the Website administrator, so finally decided to just create the new Username and begin using it. I was asking to keep the old account and have them update it or show me how, but no reply on this at all. Is there anyone there monitoring "Contact Us" messages? I tied three times unsuccessfully. This is a free site so that contributes to the reason. Understood.
Anyway, new Username...

I'm really enjoying this website! Thanks for making it available and all the work that goes into running it. Thanks again. ... Happily Retired...

Yes, I meant to say taxes on a maximum of 85%, not 75%, on Social Security. Good catch. Thanks.

On a totally separate thing... I mentioned the Social Security benefits reduction to 75 cents on the dollar announced currently to happen in 2033 as the SS trust fund becomes exhausted or drawn down enough to require the reduction in benefits payments to all.

Username change:

BTW, I'm now using "Happily Retired" instead of "ThisIsHowWeRoll" as my Username. I was not able to get any response or help from the Website administrator, so finally decided to just create the new Username and begin using it. I was asking to keep the old account and have them update it or show me how, but no reply on this at all. Is there anyone there monitoring "Contact Us" messages? I tied three times unsuccessfully. This is a free site so that contributes to the reason. Understood.
Anyway, new Username...

I'm really enjoying this website! Thanks for making it available and all the work that goes into running it. Thanks again. ... Happily Retired...

bump

Just saw your post. The Mod team is looking into the username change as I just brought the post up top.

Transfer time in service

Just saw your post. The Mod team is looking into the username change as I just brought the post up top.

Thanks aja8888 for the reply!

I'd appreciate them transferring a one thing to the new username, if possible:

"Time in service" on the old account.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom