IRS dragging it's heels to release form 915

skipro33

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As far as I can tell, no one who is on Social Security can e-file their federal income taxes until IRS finals the Social Security Worksheet form 915. I don't know of any changes from last year, and last year they also were slow to release this form. Are they waiting on congress for some reason?

H&R Block tax filing promises a final version with their next update, 2/3/2023, but they said the same thing for this week's update too. I guess they'll just keep pushing their guess on a final version updated to their product while waiting for the IRS to get their act together on finalizing the form.

It's not as if the numbers are indexed for inflation, so I don't know why you couldn't use the 2021 form if necessary. Although I say that with the benefit of being entirely unaffected by this issue since a) 85% of my social security is taxable straight out of the gate and b) I only ever paper file.

Last edited:
I filed mine on Turbo Tax and it was accepted by the IRS yesterday. Social Security was included.

I filed mine on Turbo Tax and it was accepted by the IRS yesterday. Social Security was included.

And you are drawing Social Security? (correction: I see you indicated so in your post now...)

Here's the IRS publication link:

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-915

Clicking on the tab for Current Revision, it shows the 2021 returns form as most current. I don't understand how TT is able to beat the system because it's not H&R block, but the e-file system with the IRS that is blocking the upload without the final worksheet.

Here's a link to IRS publications for all form 915 updates:
https://www.irs.gov/prior-year-form...ear_products_picklist_revision_date&sort=desc

It's updated every year and doesn't have the current tax year, 2022 listed as final.
If the IRS hasn't finaled the form, then how could taxes be filed?

Last edited:
Me Too

My 2022 1040 was filed through Turbo Tax and accepted by IRS on 1/23/2023.
I have been on Social Security for over 10 years. TT had no problem with IRS form 915.

There is no Form 915. There is just a Pub 915 with some worksheets, none of which get filed with your return. If you know what's going to be on the worksheets (same as last year except increment every mention of a year by one) there's no need to wait for the updated pub. I guess TTax decided to go ahead and HRB has decided not to.

I don't know why the IRS is dawdling on this pub. The last 5 years' release dates range from Jan 3 to Jan 26, and today is Jan 26, so hopefully it will be available soon.

Patiently waiting on my K1 Worksheet for s-corps. Supposedly will be ready 2/2. I've seen some forms delayed in the past so hopefully this gets approved.

There is no Form 915. There is just a Pub 915 with some worksheets, none of which get filed with your return. If you know what's going to be on the worksheets (same as last year except increment every mention of a year by one) there's no need to wait for the updated pub. I guess TTax decided to go ahead and HRB has decided not to.

I don't know why the IRS is dawdling on this pub. The last 5 years' release dates range from Jan 3 to Jan 26, and today is Jan 26, so hopefully it will be available soon.

You are right, I misspoke, calling the publication a form. However, the IRS has not issued the publication 915 for the 2022 tax year. While it may be possible to assume nothing has changed since 2021 tax year, the fact is that no one knows what's going to be on the worksheets. And while the worksheet is not filed with the IRS when submitting the tax return, at least not in writing, it is for filing with the IRS for e-filing through H&R Block.
I'm not sure why TT did allow someone who has SS income to file before the worksheet became final from the IRS, hoping it doesn't change or those folks will be filing an amendment.

The 2022 Form 1040 instructions are final. In that document, there is a worksheet for calculating the taxability of Social Security income (see page 32 at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf). So it appears that one is not required to use Pub 915 in order to complete (and file) a 2022 tax return in typical cases.

Exceptions include if "You file Form 2555, 4563, or 8815, or you exclude employer-provided adoption benefits or income from sources within Puerto Rico. Instead, use the worksheet in Pub. 915." There are other exceptions also, most notably for lump sum elections.

Speculation: Perhaps TT has coded the logic to check for those exceptional cases and would presumably not let you file yet if any of them applied to you. H&R Block maybe didn't, or maybe doesn't support those forms.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom