IRS freefile

rbmrtn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The IRS has offered a free filing service using many of the main software players ( turbotax, taxact, taxcut etc )

If you qualify, you can prepare file completely free. And this is different than some of the free products offered directly from the vendors. I believe you have to use the links on the IRS site to get the freefile versions ( made a mistake before using a free vs freefile version ). I have used this for a few years to do taxes for elderly relatives for free. Might be of interest to others.

Free File: Do Your Federal Taxes for Free

Being kind of a tax nerd, I have used the "free file, fillable forms" for a couple of years. You need to do all of your own calculations, select forms like before, etc. It works great for simple returns. There are no income limitations to use this filing method.

I looked into these today as I was preparing the taxes of a friend. Since he's below the income threshold for using TaxAct free, that's what I used. And our state uses the free, fillable forms.

The only part I had some annoyance with was the new penalty stuff for health care coverage. Had to look around the IRS website a while to figure out how to prove he couldn't afford the basic coverage and that was why he was uninsured. There wouldn't have been much of a penalty, but every bit helps at the bottom.

I have been accessing free filing through my state's (MI) website to file for my MIL for a number of years. There some crappy choices, but I use TurboTax and it works great.

Back
Top Bottom