It looks like the IRS and online tax prep is evolving.
Last year i stopped using tax prep software and just filled in online forms at the irs minnesota & california printed and mailed them.
This year on the IRS's FreeFile page and below the buttons for choosing a company to file with, there is a button for choosing your own forms
. Similar to what i did last year except most math is done for you you can sign electronically print your file copy and there is a free e-file. still have to do state separately which in MN & CA i fill in online print and mail. You need to have an understanding of what forms to use, use common irs forms and be comfortable with doing taxes on your own. FreeFile is a private outfit obviously in partnership with the IRS - still don't know enough about them to feel comfortable sharing my info with them.
" Free File Fillable Forms is:
Things You Need To Know:
- A new tool that allows you to self-select your federal income tax forms and schedules.
- The tool allows you to fill in the information in, to perform basic mathematical calculations and to e-file your federal income tax return.
- You may sign the completed forms electronically, print them and e-file your federal income tax return free of charge.
- A tool for you if you are comfortable with the tax code, know the federal forms you need and don't need assistance completing your return.
- Answers to your Free File Fillable Forms questions.
- There are no income limitations.
- Most federal forms are available.
- You can save your partially completed form and come back to it later.
- You must access the tool by going to the IRS.gov Free File page.
- Tax Forms does NOT support State forms or state e-file.
- Best of All - It is FREE! "