Join Early Retirement Today

IRS PIN & E-filing
Old 11-23-2022, 09:54 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

IRS PIN & E-filing

I have been unable to e-file using ANY tax software for the past three years. Even though I've retrieved my transcript and the prior year AGI the IRS states is ours and that AGI agrees with their records, I am continually rejected. I've tried several different software options, both paid and free, and no luck. Really, really pi$$es me off. Apparently, I'm one of many lucky individuals whose account is corrupted and they may or may not ever get around to uncorrupting it.

Our financial advisor, also a CPA who does taxes for clients that want to pay for it, told me to apply for a PIN. I did, and I got one.

Here's my question. I don't ever remember seeing a spot in any of the software packages for entry of the IRS PIN.

Anyone familiar with this?

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2022, 09:58 AM   #2

All the packages have a place to enter this. I don't know specifically where it is in HRB (the one I use) since I don't personally have a PIN (also referred to as IP PIN by some).

We get these often at TaxAide and the TaxSlayer Pro software has a place to enter this.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:59 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I have been unable to e-file using ANY tax software for the past three years. Even though I've retrieved my transcript and the prior year AGI the IRS states is ours and that AGI agrees with their records, I am continually rejected. I've tried several different software options, both paid and free, and no luck. Really, really pi$$es me off. Apparently, I'm one of many lucky individuals whose account is corrupted and they may or may not ever get around to uncorrupting it.

Our financial advisor, also a CPA who does taxes for clients that want to pay for it, told me to apply for a PIN. I did, and I got one.

Here's my question. I don't ever remember seeing a spot in any of the software packages for entry of the IRS PIN.

Yep, TT has it... IIRC I couldn't find it a few years ago, so I just wrote it in after printing out the forms (I file by mail) but last year it "appeared" as an entry on the electronic form.

EDIT/Update: It's entered under "Other Tax Situations" section with TT.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post

I had to enter it once, years ago, in TurboTax. Since then, it just remembers it every year, so I can glance at it and confirm it's right.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:01 AM   #5

Just checked HRB 2021. It is under Federal>Miscellaneous>Home

there is a check box that presumably triggers a dialog to enter the PIN.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:16 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I had to enter it once, years ago, in TurboTax. Since then, it just remembers it every year, so I can glance at it and confirm it's right.
Doesn't it change each year? I know I get a letter from the IRS each year with my "PIN" but I never checked to see if it changes from year to year.

EDIT/Update: I just checked the IRS website on the topic and it says:

Important Information about IP PINs

• An IP PIN is valid for one calendar year.
  • A new IP PIN is generated each year for your account.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Doesn't it change each year? I know I get a letter from the IRS each year with my "PIN" but I never checked to see if it changes from year to year.
Yes; they send a new one every year. Note: the IP PIN (IRS provided) is not the same as the 5-digit "Pin" that some software often prompts for. I know there is the 5-digit one in TaxSlayer (and HRB) and I always just jam in the zip code for that since I know it. The IRS IP PIN is something different altogether. The IP-PIN is a six-digit number that the IRS will provide by mail every year.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:29 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Yes; they send a new one every year. Note: the IP PIN (IRS provided) is not the same as the 5-digit "Pin" that some software often prompts for. I know there is the 5-digit one in TaxSlayer (and HRB) and I always just jam in the zip code for that since I know it. The IRS IP PIN is something different altogether. The IP-PIN is a six-digit number that the IRS will provide by mail every year.
The bold text above is what I'm talking about.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Thanks. I stand corrected.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:40 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

PIN entry is kind of hidden in Turbotax also. First year I needed PIN filing I almost forget that I need a PIN from that year onward.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:34 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I've used TT and HRB and they both query if you have a PIN. IT's near the end before filing options. DW and I each get separate PINs for our MFJ return due to a phony return that was filed on our record many years ago. We had a similar problem with efiling for many many years. No one could explain why the efile was rejected. We even had DW update her SS record to first, middle, maiden, and married name but it did not help. Then about 5 yrs ago I tried again and it went through.