Join Early Retirement Today

IRS Refund delays - Paper filing
Old 05-11-2022, 10:16 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

IRS Refund delays - Paper filing

I don't want to pollute the other thread IRS Refund delays - Efile.

Because of a bug in the IRS's on-line system, I was unable to e-File this year. Long story short, mine is a simple return so I just printed it out and filed via snail mail on February 11th.

On February 18, the USPS tracking service indicated it was delivered.

Since then, and still today, the IRS refund tracking site has indicated:
"You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again."

Should I be worried? Anyone else waiting this long?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2022, 10:21 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pretty sure my return was received and opened in a very timely manner... My check was cashed in less than a week after I sent in my return in early April.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:38 PM   #3

This is normal. Paper returns can take several months to process. The envelopes are opened and checks are cashed so they don't go stale, but the returns themselves go through a batch process where they are transcribed into the electronic system. This takes a long time. If you are waiting for a refund, interest starts accruing at the end of May.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
This is normal. Paper returns can take several months to process. The envelopes are opened and checks are cashed so they don't go stale, but the returns themselves go through a batch process where they are transcribed into the electronic system. This takes a long time. If you are waiting for a refund, interest starts accruing at the end of May.
Thanks, at least I know it's not unusual. I'll just forget about it and when the IRS finally gets around to depositing my refund it'll be a nice surprise.

I guess I should have been more persistent with the electronic filing. The system got stuck on an invalid routing number and wouldn't let me fix it. Maybe I could have deleted the whole thing and started over with a different e-mail address or something. Had I known paper filing would be so screwed up I would have found a way somehow. Never again!
Old 05-11-2022, 02:13 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Same issue for me. Also submitted in early Feb
Wupot2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:01 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Same here. I mailed mine out in mid-February, requesting direct deposit of my large refund. I check the "Where's my refund?" web page a few times a week and get the same "We don't know" reply. I have an account with the IRS which I had been signing into every few weeks. I think I'll stop checking my account, or at least check it far less frequently, maybe once a month.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:30 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I submitted mine electronically at 11:00 pm on the last night. Received a direct deposit overpayment in 5 days.

I must have done something right to get paid so promptly.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 01:00 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Still waiting on refund; filed paper return for deceased Dad in mid-March. Same no info response in “where’s my refund”. Green card came back so I know the IRS got the filing.
Act2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:07 AM   #9

I was burning some old financial paperwork I'd cleaned out of my attic yesterday. I came across my 1984 tax records. I had filed by mail, of course. I received the paper refund check just two days short of one month later.

Funny thing, progress.
Old 07-08-2022, 03:53 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Same here. I mailed mine out in mid-February, requesting direct deposit of my large refund. I check the "Where's my refund?" web page a few times a week and get the same "We don't know" reply. I have an account with the IRS which I had been signing into every few weeks. I think I'll stop checking my account, or at least check it far less frequently, maybe once a month.
Today, at long last, I finally got a different response when I went to the IRS's "Where's my refund?" web page. I finally got an acknowledgement that they got the return and are processing it, with my refund expected in 21 days, barring anything going wrong, or if they happen to take longer anyway.

Progress, finally!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

Old 07-08-2022, 05:59 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Lucky you to get an acknowledgement that they are processing your return. However, I would not hold your breath. My electronically filed return was accepted on 2/16/22 and I am still waiting for my refund.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:17 PM   #12

[QUOTE=pjm-7;2798081]Lucky you to get an acknowledgement that they are processing your return. However, I would not hold your breath. My electronically filed return was accepted on 2/16/22 and I am still waiting for my refund.[/QUO

"Accepted" and "Processing" mean two different things. Accepted means your tax return is now in the government's hands and has passed the initial inspection (your verification info is correct, dependents haven't already been claimed by someone else, etc.). It doesn't mean it's being processed for a refund. That's the next step. You can sit in Accepted status for a very long time. Once you make it to Processing you are usually good to go.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 08:07 PM   #13

Still no change here.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:22 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

No change here yet either. But it’s good to hear someone is seeing possible progress.
Old 07-11-2022, 02:45 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

How's this for speed?

In today's check of the "Where's my refund?" web page, it now says my refund was approved and the money will be sent to my bank by this Thursday. And they added about $7 worth of interest. Awesome!

Old 07-15-2022, 07:21 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Refund money appeared in my account yesterday. I am already investing it elsewhere.

Old 07-15-2022, 07:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Refund money appeared in my account yesterday. I am already investing it elsewhere.
Congrats! Remember that the interest they paid you is supposed to be added to your 2022 income at tax time! They may or may not send you a 1099-INT for it if it was only $7 though. I don't think they bother with under $10.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:44 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally got an acknowledgment on the IRS website that the paper return filed for my Dad after his death is being processed. Filed it in March. Acknowledgment appeared online about a week ago; no change since it first appeared and no estimate on refund date. At least it is some kind of progress.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:56 PM   #19

@Act2, thanks for giving me hope. Filed mine in February. Still no indication they received it, beyond the USPS tracking report. I may set aside a day next week to call them. From what I hear that will take the entire day.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:45 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

@CaptTom, I will be interested to hear what you learn, if there’s more info available that way or if it’s just the same as online. Like you, I had USPS proof of delivery soon after sending and then many months of nothing thereafter.