Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

IRS Sent me a Letter and a much bigger Refund.............
Old 05-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IRS Sent me a Letter and a much bigger Refund.............

I'm confused. I had a CPA in Nebraska where my sister lived do her tax return for 2006. He said I would be getting a refund of about $90 from federal. The estate lawyer said it's not part of the estate, and it goes to me as personal rep.

The IRS sent me a check for $3,596, along with a note that said they changed the estimated tax total on the 2006 return, and if I had any questions to call them.............

Should I assume the IRS is right??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: IRS Sent me a Letter and a much bigger Refund.............
Old 05-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

IMO, the IRS is *always* right.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I would suggest calling the CPA.

As for whether or not you should trust the IRS to be right, I think you really know the answer to that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire
I would suggest calling the CPA.

As for whether or not you should trust the IRS to be right, I think you really know the answer to that.
I plan on calling the CPA...............however, since it WASN'T ME that did the return...................

Old 05-14-2007, 09:03 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Ok, consider this.... maybe the CPA took a conservative approach to the return because, after all, it is his/her professional liability on the line. He took the chance that the estate would owe more, rather than less.

It could be that the IRS has made an error. After they have reviewed the return and refunded the $$$ they will have a devil of a time charging penalties if they change their mind.

'tis better to be refunded than get a demand letter for more after the estate has been resolved.

Says the Mom of a CPA..
Old 05-14-2007, 09:17 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
I'm confused. I had a CPA in Nebraska where my sister lived do her tax return for 2006. He said I would be getting a refund of about $90 from federal. The estate lawyer said it's not part of the estate, and it goes to me as personal rep.
While I'm certainly not well versed in estate law...if your sister ended up owing the IRS money, it would certainly come from her estate, wouldn't it? So, using that logic, if there were instead a refund that she were due, why wouldn't the refund be considered part of her estate?

Quote:
The IRS sent me a check for $3,596, along with a note that said they changed the estimated tax total on the 2006 return, and if I had any questions to call them.............

Make triplicate copies of that letter, laminate the original, and seal it in wax in a safe deposit box.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds
While I'm certainly not well versed in estate law...if your sister ended up owing the IRS money, it would certainly come from her estate, wouldn't it? So, using that logic, if there were instead a refund that she were due, why wouldn't the refund be considered part of her estate?

Make triplicate copies of that letter, laminate the original, and seal it in wax in a safe deposit box.
Planned on it. I found out she made two estimated tax payments totalling $3900 that the CPA didn't have info on.............so maybe that's the reason..............

Old 05-14-2007, 10:34 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Planned on it. I found out she made two estimated tax payments totalling $3900 that the CPA didn't have info on.............so maybe that's the reason..............

There you go.... The IRS is not in the business of changing your tax return without some good info... that is why you get an audit... now, if you had missed a 1099 or W2 they will put it down... and as you can see, if you missed the estimated tax payments they put that down also...

They don't say, wow, this guy took a conservative approach and he can get MORE back if we are aggressive... that just will never happen.. NOBODY can be more conservative than the IRS.. heck, they consider you have a zero basis in any stock sales you make... you need to come up with the amount or all proceeds are taxable...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:53 AM   #9

From what you quoted in the IRS letter it appears there were additional ESTIMATED PAYMENTS made throughout the year that maybe you, and the CPA, were not aware of. Could your Sister or someone on her behalf had made ESTIMATED payments of which you did not or could not find a record of? Or was there a refund due on the 2005 return that was applied to taxes for 2006 (check 2005 return for this information). Or a combination of the two possibilities.

Edit: Should have read closer ALL of the responses. Guess you answered your own question 2 responses back. Now the rest of the question: Shouldn't the refund be larger? Is one for the CPA or the IRS; of course it may be that "if you cannot afford the answer, then do not ask the question".
Old 05-15-2007, 08:14 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds
Then make certain the safe deposit box wasnt made by Sentry. Cuz I have a saw.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:04 AM   #11

Quote:

Learned this from my megacorp days ... "if you don't want the answer, don't ask the question."

Cash the check n'have fun.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If that is the case, shouldn't the refund be even bigger?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:47 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Id be pretty scared if the IRS sent me a bigger check that I was no expecting.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote