Join Early Retirement Today

Is 10-12% YTD loss in line with typical Moderate PF?
Old 05-22-2022, 12:49 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is 10-12% YTD loss in line with typical Moderate PF?

Yes, I think that sounds reasonable. (Probably, I'm no expert.)

I have a conservative portfolio of mostly broad index funds, along with some cash and cash equivalents. So, it doesn't go up or down very much.

My YTD loss is 10%.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2022, 01:02 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

At 43% stocks, down 9.62% YTD. No exposure to bond funds or international stocks.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:09 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Using the Total Stock Market Index (VTSAX, -18.87%) as a guide on equities, and Total Bond Market Index (BND, -9.27%) for bond. Second set of columns is if "Bonds" were cash.
Attached Images
File Type: png ytd.PNG (25.1 KB, 76 views)
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Down 12% here
Old 05-22-2022, 04:35 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Down 12% here

And - egg on my face - a bulk of it is me stepping away from my original plan - - sticking with boring dividend paying blue chips. Stuff like my KO, XOM, PG, MD - sure some of it is down - but not that much. I did some stupid things - like MTTR and some NVDA.

Right now I'm wondering if MonkeyPox will Rev up - - - and I wonder - am I sitting here, wondering "Hmmm is that China Covid thing gonna affect my portfolio?" some 2 year ago. I'm tempted - so tempted to sell 30% of my holdings -and if I miss upswing I miss it. Again - I"m tempted not acting on it.

Conversely....

I have 4 years of living expenses in cash. I'm really tempted to take 1 year of it....and if SP500 hits 3600 - - - put that cash in and maybe make up some of my losses if there's a rebound of any sort.
MichealKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichealKnight View Post
And - egg on my face - a bulk of it is me stepping away from my original plan - - sticking with boring dividend paying blue chips. Stuff like my KO, XOM, PG, MD - sure some of it is down - but not that much. I did some stupid things - like MTTR and some NVDA.

Right now I'm wondering if MonkeyPox will Rev up - - - and I wonder - am I sitting here, wondering "Hmmm is that China Covid thing gonna affect my portfolio?" some 2 year ago. I'm tempted - so tempted to sell 30% of my holdings -and if I miss upswing I miss it. Again - I"m tempted not acting on it.

Conversely....

I have 4 years of living expenses in cash. I'm really tempted to take 1 year of it....and if SP500 hits 3600 - - - put that cash in and maybe make up some of my losses if there's a rebound of any sort.
Just be aware of the fundamental of negative numbers. Let's say I decide that today is the day to invest my cash in equities, because I think they have bottomed down approximately 20% from their peak. Now suppose I am "off' by a bit, that the real bottom is down 40% from the peak. Did I lose 20%? NO, I've lost 25% (60-80)/80. It gets worse with bigger losses. Let's say this ends up matching the 2008/09 great recession (down 49%). Your investment here would result in (51-80)/80 = 36% loss.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:13 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I think your losses are in line with a typical moderate port this year.
Thanks. I guess what's throwing me and probably many other investors is not so much the equity volatility but the bond/bond fund losses 'this time.' Every correction is unique in one respect or another but I have to say bond funds as ballast and insurance -under current circumstances have not worked as well as anticipated. Still I respect that with much damage already done (in both sectors) there's some likelihood that returns will ultimately be better in holding them for the long run and riding it out- to invoke the tired cliche.
mikes425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:21 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
If you learned anything from 2008, you should know that doing nothing is the best course of action.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogl...g_start-up_kit
Yes that is precisely my reference because it's the only other similar event I've experienced in my investment 'lifetime.' Unfortunately I didn't just ' do nothing' that time and no doubt suffered the consequences of never fully restoring my equity allocation higher than 40% -- until the past five years or so. Missed a lot of capital appreciation, but feel I did reasonably well making up for it and my risk tolerance now is much higher. Thanks.
mikes425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:19 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Only down <1% YTD but I've been in cash "most of the time" in my IRA speculation account. I got lucky on a few bigger swing trades (XOM and CVX) that helped but still down a little.

In my 401K investment account, I'm up almost 2% YTD but it's all in fixed income.
I too have a fair amount of cash. How do you "view" your cash's value since we've experienced significant inflation. Yes, I know that nominally, the number hasn't gone down, but the buying power certainly has (I'm just glad I don't spend all my cash on fuel!) It's reasonably easy to calculate what our MFs value (in cash) are but how much is that cash-equivalent worth?? My mind strays to these things every so often. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:25 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Oh, and to OPs original question, I think 10 to 12% loss within a moderate PF is probably about average. I haven't figured my exactly, but that sounds about right. I think it's gonna get worse before it gets better. SO far, my particular PF has been doing a bit better because my megacorp stock has been doing well during the unpleasantness around us.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that it's always come back eventually (let's all hope we have "eventually" time to wait.)

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 06-01-2022, 06:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I too have a fair amount of cash. How do you "view" your cash's value since we've experienced significant inflation. Yes, I know that nominally, the number hasn't gone down, but the buying power certainly has (I'm just glad I don't spend all my cash on fuel!) It's reasonably easy to calculate what our MFs value (in cash) are but how much is that cash-equivalent worth?? My mind strays to these things every so often. YMMV
The value of your cash doesn't change. Your expenses are increasing.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:59 AM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm down about the same as the OP 10-12% in 2008 I lost roughly 40% of value and it recovered and increased to highs I had never had before by 2018 when I FIRED now I have enough cash or cash equivalents set aside that I could go 5-6 years without touching my PF unless I decide to purchase a new house or something like that which would drain my cash. I know a lot of folks here don't agree with having a large cash stash but IMHO If you have a good stash it makes stomaching the huge swings we have been seeing easier to stomach knowing you can sit back for a few years and wait for things to recover
Locotony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:10 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locotony View Post
I'm down about the same as the OP 10-12% in 2008 I lost roughly 40% of value and it recovered and increased to highs I had never had before by 2018 when I FIRED now I have enough cash or cash equivalents set aside that I could go 5-6 years without touching my PF unless I decide to purchase a new house or something like that which would drain my cash. I know a lot of folks here don't agree with having a large cash stash but IMHO If you have a good stash it makes stomaching the huge swings we have been seeing easier to stomach knowing you can sit back for a few years and wait for things to recover

I like your plan a lot and yes it isn't a plan that many like.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:23 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locotony View Post
I don't think there's that much argument against that much cash, for anyone trying to be somewhat conservative. Six years of cash/equiv, at a 3.3% WD rate, is ~less than 20% cash. Now, many would say most of that should be in bonds for a higher long term return, but it's not really so far off from the more mainstream view, IMO.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:51 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
The value of your cash doesn't change. Your expenses are increasing.
I guess it's all in the way you look at it. I "discount" the value of my 401(k) for the average taxes I'll owe when I do my planning. I was just wondering how to think of cash in terms of what it will buy now vs when I looked at it, say, a year ago. Perhaps it doesn't matter. Just my mind racing in light of troubling financial issues we're currently facing. YMMV

Old 06-01-2022, 11:27 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I haven't calculated my RoR yet, but my NW is down by about 10%...
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:31 PM   #36

My rough calculation YTD as of 5/31/22: Down 8.7% overall (net worth) on an approximately 51% equity, 42%, 7% commodity/PM allocation. It was worse a couple weeks ago.

I am still w*rking but have adjusted for 403B Roth contributions YTD. I don't have a budget, but spend everything PLUS in terms of take home pay. (That is, some smallish drawdown.) So the above are "close enough" in terms of where things stand.

Almost all of my fixed is in cash, cash equivalents, i-Bonds, TIPS/TIPS funds. Of the fixed, only the TIPs / TIPS Fund have been impacted in terms of valuation (down about 5.9% YTD).
Old 06-01-2022, 09:57 PM   #37

I was down almost exactly 10.0% through the end of May with 60/40 AA.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:28 AM   #38

My NW is down 8.8% YTD, almost all equities (cash ~10% and slowly decreasing as I spend. I expect it will stabilize at 4-5% over the long term but I'm still new at this being FIREd thing so who knows). My earnings from my fun job (bike tours) was .005% of my starting NW and I've spent .85% so investment performance would be approx -7.7% YTD adjusting for those. (easier than pulling everything and weighting returns)

Not too upsetting considering I've funded 5 months of expenses from it during that time as well. Actually, seeing that I've only spent .85% makes me feel a little bit better given all the gloom and doom -I am being a bit stingier than I planned as retiring into this market is a bit scary... but SO much better than working.
Old 06-02-2022, 02:06 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Pick an AA and stay the course.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:24 PM   #40

According to Fido, my 401k (60/40) as of 5/31/2022 has a -12.36% Rate of Return. I'm still contributing, and no withdrawals.