Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Is $1million enough
Old 10-21-2006, 08:36 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
And for those of you who might be wondering:

No DSL, cable or water softener. Prepaid cell only.
JG - do you do all your posting on a dial-up or is there a hip, Internet cafe in that rural location? Surely not a library?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2006, 08:51 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMueller
Can a $1M nest egg safely and consistently generate enough income to sustain the average middle-class lifestyle? Perhaps, but IMHO it would retire taking on more risk than I feel comfortable with. I want a $40K/year lifestyle with very little risk. Why, because I don’t want to worry about how I’m going to make ends meet when I retire, or worry that a “down year” in the market could send me back to work, or that I might have to "cut back" drastically. So, in my opinion, ER requires more than $1M nest egg. Without a pension, or any other source of income, I venture that $1.2 – 1.5M would be a more reasonable target.
IMO many (if not most) of the people who have managed to accumulate that much capital are also accustomed to living pretty well. While 40k/yr may be very doable in some areas, for many it would feel very tight, especially for a couple. No one likes the sensation of barely keeping your head above water. If it includes a paid for house and cars we're getting warmer.

Not everyone wants to live like a Possum...exceptions like Mr_johngalt duly noted.
RockMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:58 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, here'e a thought. Since the OP states he is single. One solution to increasing his income would be to marry. If he is a man, as I am assuming, there are a multitude of women out there looking for a good man.

Or, if opposed to marriage, you can just live together and share all expences. There are always options for men if you get financially pressed.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:21 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock
IMO many (if not most) of the people who have managed to accumulate that much capital are also accustomed to living pretty well. While 40k/yr may be very doable in some areas, for many it would feel very tight, especially for a couple.
Not necessarily. In fact it's the LBYMers who are far more likely to have accumulated $1M and these folks are used to living modestly. "The Millionaire Next Door" is does a great job of refuting the myth that those folks living large are also the ones which a high net worth. In reality, it's usually the opposite.

Then, when you are looking at a SINGLE person, which the OP is, $40K is not so lean. Of course, it's highly dependent on the cost of living in a particular geographical location.

Sure, $40K per year is modest, but is it doable - absolutely. Especially if your current monthly expenses are $1500/month - that's only $18K per year.

Audrey
Old 10-21-2006, 09:41 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Not necessarily. In fact it's the LBYMers who are far more likely to have accumulated $1M and these folks are used to living modestly. "The Millionaire Next Door" is does a great job of refuting the myth that those folks living large are also the ones which a high net worth. In reality, it's usually the opposite.

Then, when you are looking at a SINGLE person, which the OP is, $40K is not so lean. Of course, it's highly dependent on the cost of living in a particular geographical location.

Sure, $40K per year is modest, but is it doable - absolutely. Especially if your current monthly expenses are $1500/month - that's only $18K per year.

Audrey
We need to underline "cost of living in a particular geographic location". $1500 a month won't get you far in the northeast. My daughter is one year out of college makes 38K per year and barely makes with 2 roomates in Boston.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:16 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

nun, the OP, is single, frugal, house-less, and willing to move. By asking the question, nun has shown an interest in foregoing more employment. Audrey is right. Other than health care, nun is in good shape financially. The poster with $15K expenses of property tax and food needs to save $375K (25 multiples) extra just to cover those expenses. I'm sure that is a nice home but I couldn't afford that when working and most certainly not in retirement. I'm glad that I can see what others have and say "Oh, I can't afford that." They feel better until I say "I retired a year ago."
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyou
I'm sure that is a nice home but I couldn't afford that when working and most certainly not in retirement. ."

Ha "nice home" it's actually a small 2 bedroom condo that I've been trying to sell for 3.5 months.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:14 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock

Not everyone wants to live like a Possum...exceptions like Mr_johngalt duly noted.
I'm not doing the "Possum living" thing, but it's awfully nice to know that
I could.

JG
Old 10-21-2006, 11:17 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
JG - do you do all your posting on a dial-up or is there a hip, Internet cafe in that rural location? Surely not a library?
Dial-up, but as soon as this blasted machine dies (again) I am considering
going with the library 100% and junking this piece of crap.

JG
Old 10-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
I'm not doing the "Possum living" thing, but it's awfully nice to know that
I could.
I stand corrected...was exaggerating to make a point

I understand the LBYM thing, (I are one) but I'd like to see actual numbers on how many people with modest incomes actually get to $1MM of investable assets. It's not so easy. Obviously, some manage it but my sense is that savings correlate pretty well with income (though not 1:1). Sure, I've known a number of big spenders who probably have very little put away, but saving is a LOT easier for those with more coming in. That said, a life of LBYM has to make for an easier transition to ER.

Sorry for topic detour.

RockMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:12 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Not necessarily. In fact it's the LBYMers who are far more likely to have accumulated $1M and these folks are used to living modestly.

Audrey
Exactly Audrey, I live in the NE and I've managed to save for ER by living below my means. I don't think I'm frugal, but others probably would. I drive a 15 year old car that I bought new and I don't spend a lot on clothes. I do go out a lot with friends, but my monthly spending is about $3.5k including everything, house, food, travel etc. If you take housing out of the equation I live on $2k/month. I intend to buy a small place and see if what i have left will generate $24k/year.

I've run some numbers and if I spend $200k on a small apartment I'll have $500k tax deferred and $300k after tax. Assuming 3% inflation, a 6% annual invetsment return that's taxed at 15% capital gains, a 20% income tax rate on my tax deferred money and an initial $24k/year withdrawal rate it works well. The fightening thing is that by the time I'm 90, with 3% inflation I'll be spending $100k/year. I don't actually think this is correct as I expect my spending to tail off if I get pasted sat 75 or 80.

Health Insurance is a concern if I stay in the US, what are the premiuns like for a healthy single person. Living in the NE I'm keeping a close eye on the MA law that mandates that everyone must have health insurance. I think they are capping the premiuns at $250/month

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:12 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun
Exactly Audrey, I live in the NE and I've managed to save for ER by living below my means. I don't think I'm frugal, but others probably would. I drive a 15 year old car that I bought new and I don't spend a lot on clothes. I do go out a lot with friends, but my monthly spending is about $3.5k including everything, house, food, travel etc. If you take housing out of the equation I live on $2k/month. I intend to buy a small place and see if what i have left will generate $24k/year.

I've run some numbers and if I spend $200k on a small apartment I'll have $500k tax deferred and $300k after tax. Assuming 3% inflation, a 6% annual invetsment return that's taxed at 15% capital gains, a 20% income tax rate on my tax deferred money and an initial $24k/year withdrawal rate it works well. The fightening thing is that by the time I'm 90, with 3% inflation I'll be spending $100k/year. I don't actually think this is correct as I expect my spending to tail off if I get pasted sat 75 or 80.

Health Insurance is a concern if I stay in the US, what are the premiuns like for a healthy single person. Living in the NE I'm keeping a close eye on the MA law that mandates that everyone must have health insurance. I think they are capping the premiuns at $250/month
Ah, the "People's Republic of Mass.", you gotta love 'em.

Here's the way I reached FI-ER.......Cadillacs and country clubs.
Big boats, big vacations and big lunch/dinner/drink tabs. Nice clothes,
big houses, nice furnishings, etc etc. In my case LBYM clearly
meant "Live beyond your means."
Disclaimer: I am not recommending
this to anyone. I have no regrets though.

JG
Old 10-21-2006, 04:37 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't see how $1MM would support a comfortable ER anywhere in USA in their 40's and having to pay for a medical plan.

I see my expenses going up after ER - more free time for hobbies and entertainment will add expenses filling time that I was working.

Working friend of mine says there's a "financial double whammy" to his wife working:
1. Working makes money, and
2. Working reduces time she could be shopping....

Fortunately I have a lot of cheap hobbies...
Delawaredave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:46 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave
Working friend of mine says there's a "financial double whammy" to his wife working:
1. Working makes money, and
2. Working reduces time she could be shopping....

Fortunately I have a lot of cheap hobbies...
My hobbies are pretty economical, such as biking, walking, reading at the library. My concern is that my wife likes shopping and travel to Europe or Southeast Asia.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:52 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
My hobbies are pretty economical, such as biking, walking, reading at the library. My concern is that my wife likes shopping and travel to Europe or Southeast Asia.
Sounds like trouble.

JG
Old 10-21-2006, 06:54 PM   #76

Quote:
Living in the NE I'm keeping a close eye on the MA law that mandates that everyone must have health insurance. I think they are capping the premiuns at $250/month
Nun, I hope this works out for you .... buuuut , a friend (~55 years young) in MA just got a MA BCBS policy for 2 (himself and wife) for $946/mo. $250/month is far fetched.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:12 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun
...Living in the NE I'm keeping a close eye on the MA law that mandates that everyone must have health insurance. I think they are capping the premiuns at $250/month
Capping the premiums at $250/month?
Attached Images
File Type: gif lmao.gif (13.6 KB, 175 views)
Old 10-21-2006, 09:02 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

$40,000 sounds doable to me. We live on $55,000 with two kids. No problem (but we do have a paid-off house).

Take away kids, savings, taxes and what's left? About $40,000, I would imagine. Now, where to live? I agree that moving to a lower cost area just for the sake of saving money is somewhat silly. Who will your friends be? Will you be safe? I could move to a trailer park a couple miles away and save a bundle, but someone was killed there not too long ago. Guess I'll stay in my nice middle class neighborhood as long as I can afford to pay the property tax.

Now, the part about moving abroad to a cheaper country is interesting to me. Several people mentioned different countries in Central Europe and so on. The only countries I know of that offer a special visa for retirees are Mexico and Thailand. Mexico allows pensioners (or anyone) with a reliable income above $1500 ($2000 for couples) a long term visa. I have heard something similar about Thailand. But I have looked at the visa requirements for Slovakia and other Central European countries, and there is no provision for a pensioner's visa. Other European Union countries are similar--you may want to live in Europe, but you will not qualify for a visa unless you are employed in that country, you are a student in a local university, or you have the means to start a business and employ locals.

There is a treaty called the Schengen agreement which limits your stay in a EU counry to three months in any 12 month period. I'd be glad to find out there is some way around this [outside of working, studying or starting a business], but so far I haven't heard of one. Is there anyone out there with practical experience with this? I'd love to hear about it.
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:45 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawny Dangle

There is a treaty called the Schengen agreement which limits your stay in a EU counry to three months in any 12 month period. I'd be glad to find out there is some way around this [outside of working, studying or starting a business], but so far I haven't heard of one. Is there anyone out there with practical experience with this? I'd love to hear about it.
OP hear, I have the luxury, or maybe complication is a better description, of having dual citizenship so I can reside in the US and anywhere in the EU. Right now the hot places to buy property are Romania and Bulgaria as they will be entering the EU next year. With flights so cheap within Europe lots of people are buying retirement and vacation homes there.

I'm not that adventurous though and my choices are between staying in the US or
going to "Old Europe"

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:48 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun
Does this $1.2M-$1.5M include a house?
I didn't see Gmueller's answer.
I do agree with the $1.2M minimum - assets including house in a low cost area such as in an inexpensive midwestern state. I also computed about $1.5M in coastal states.
That is with my present frugal lifestyle and a 4%WR.
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote