Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Is anyone here still working only for health insurance benefits?
Old 10-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it used to be common for people to work just for health benefits. Folks might have had enough saved to cover their expenses in retirement but had no way to obtain health coverage. With the ACA in place some people felt comfortable enough with it to retire believing reliable health care would be available as long as they needed it.

We didn’t have enough NW for retirement when the ACA first came out. Now we do, IF we could count on it being available for 8 years. That feels like too big of a risk right now.

So, is anyone else still working ONLY for health insurance? Would you retire and go on ACA if the US House of Representatives turned over to a Democratic majority next month?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sure
Old 10-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #3

I'm not following why Dems controlling House has anything to do with future of ACA. They couldn't get it replaced with R's in control and have no intent on revisting it.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

"IF we could count on it being available for 8 years"
This is why i'm still working. One heart attack or stroke without insurance can break a person. I'm hoping for some nice mid-term promises.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Or working at a specific job they hate just for the health insurance. They might choose a different job (or company) if not for that.
That may be more common.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Me! I've downshifted to a part time job so I have more free time, but still get heavily-subsidized health insurance.

I check out the ACA offerings every year & in my zip code there have been no PPOs available for several years. I've heard too many horror stories of HMO restrictions & limited providers to take that risk at this point.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
I'm not following why Dems controlling House has anything to do with future of ACA. They couldn't get it replaced with R's in control and have no intent on revisting it.
That's pure conjecture on your part. Some have expressed an intent.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #8

I worked about a year longer in order to keep health insurance. I was fortunate that I was able to keep all my benefits and switch to part-time.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 10-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #9

My sister still works for health insurance. Come to think about it, one of my brothers is in this boat, he’s already qualified for Medicare but his wife isn’t, she is only 61.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:43 PM   #10

Blissful, health insurance is covered here not matter what I do. So it doesn't factor in.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

We RE'd and are managing our income for the ACA. So far so good. My PCP of over 20 yrs is not in network so I am a cash payer for him; I view the "insurance" as a cushion for any major expense, to be honest. Medicare is a ways out for us.

If something changed and Health Insurance was no longer available via ACA I certainly would consider part time work in order to obtain an employer's coverage.

But I'm not worrying about it.

_B
Old 10-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So sad this is even being discussed. You would think America could sort this out once and for all. It is the most important issue for the most amount of people. Good Comprehensive, affordable healthcare coverage, but it is constantly on the back burner and hardly ever mentioned when people discuss quality of life.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #13

My DF did. They denied him an early retirement package, so he stuck around two years getting joints replaced. The day he came back from his second knee replacement, he quit.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:57 PM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
My DF did. They denied him an early retirement package
Are you saying they wouldn't give him an early retirement package he was entitled to?

Or are you just saying that he wanted to retire early and they wouldn't create a package specifically for him?
Old 10-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Are you saying they wouldn't give him an early retirement package he was entitled to?

Or are you just saying that he wanted to retire early and they wouldn't create a package specifically for him?
My understanding was it was socialized that anyone interested let it be known. So he did. Then when the time came those that were selected received one. He was not selected and manager said he was too valuable. It all seemed fishy to me...but like I said DF just stayed on the payroll and had some joints replaced until he was medicare eligable. He kept gis customers happy but after that dissapointment he was no longer friendly with managment.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
So sad this is even being discussed. You would think America could sort this out once and for all. It is the most important issue for the most amount of people. Good Comprehensive, affordable healthcare coverage, but it is constantly on the back burner and hardly ever mentioned when people discuss quality of life.
Well, it is not the most important issue for the most amount of people. 90% or so of Americans have coverage through employers, Medicare, and Medicaid. About 3% are on ACA exchanges, and the rest uninsured, though many of those are eligible for Medicaid/subsidized ACA/CHIP insurance.

A pie chart from 2016 here: SHOW YOUR WORK: Healthcare Coverage Breakout for the Entire U.S. Population in 1 Chart | ACA Signups

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 10-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I am willing to take the chance, so retired last year with the management of ACA income being a decent part of the decision. I could afford more medical expenses if necessary, but it would come as a cost to our travel plans.
Nevertheless, I refuse to work again, so will live with whatever it takes.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
You would think America could sort this out once and for all.
No, we’ll just keep swerving from the left ditch to the right ditch to the left ditch, ad nauseum...

I was lucky enough to inherit heavily subsidized insurance for my 25 years at Megaconglomocorp, or I’d still be w*rking...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

So, even in this (relatively) small community, there are still quite a few people who are working for health insurance when they have the financial assets to otherwise retire.

My DH doesn’t have the option to go PT. He works remotely but is in a very specialized field. Since we are also full time travelers neither of us could pick up a PT job just for the health care. At 61.5 he has already outlived his parents and sibling and I think he will have fewer years of retirement than most.

This is just so maddening. [mod edit] . . . [W]ithout guaranteed insurability we would be seriously SOL. [mod edit]
Old 10-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #20

My sister has been using ACA on and off for years. The reason she’s still working is because she can use the money she earns to pay for health care, so she wouldn’t be a nest egg user. Next year, if she decides to retire, she will be on Medicare.
Closed Thread