Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-15-2020, 09:57 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=VFK57;2428947]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
Staying the course with a little playtime, I sold 15% or 20% on 2-28 and bought it back 3-25. I took advantage of what I that was a downturn.

This is a wash sale.
It depends....
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2020, 03:56 AM   #122
Dryer sheet aficionado

Staying the course, shored everything up a few weeks ago to realign to 60/40. The 60/40rs were getting a lot of hate and disdain from the financial "pros" last year up through March, now it looks pretty good again, it has served me well through 2009 2010 and is giving me the ballast it is designed to do through these past few months.

When the market first tanked in March, and then realizing that we are purposely destroying the economy, I ran some analysis anticipating a 40% to 70% drop in the markets, and determined that, though it would be very painful, my AA and other asset strategies would likely pull through, especially if I don't panic. BTW, I still fully anticipate that there is a high possibility that we will go through a 40 to 60% drop over the next two years or so once the reality of what has been done catches up.
Mickslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:28 AM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Staying the course at 60/40. With that allocation our bonds plus cash equal 11+ years of annual spend, ie until Iím 71 and DW 75. I figure at that age I could start selling stocks no matter where they were in value to cover the rest of our lives. And that doesnít even count any dividends annually (which currently cover 62% of spend ) or SS. So yes; I canít see gaining anything significant to me by changing strategy.
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:55 AM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Staying the course. Have a cash position that I keep for expenditures I know will be upcoming (washer and dryer; 18 years old, the clock is ticking. Need a new vehicle, but can't decide what. Have 2013 Tacoma with 76k miles on it, but want something new). The rest in dividend paying stocks. Im living on SS and about 50% of the dividends, the excess goes back into more stock.
carnivalday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:59 AM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Staying the course.
nhcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:05 AM   #126
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is anyone completely out of International equities?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:18 AM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

No, I am actually increasing international from 20% to 25% or even 30%.
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:34 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Jeez, no! We are staying the course; international is around 50% of our equity side.

IMO, ignoring international is an emotional decision not a rational one. I don't think anyone would argue with the fact that US world economic share is declining and will continue to decline. After all, we are only 5% of the world's population.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

Staying the course, rebalanced last month to 60/40, planned to fire in July, now wait and see.
rdy4er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Vanguard Total World Stock Index is the one I'm planning to dollar cost average excess (not spent) $ into over the next ten years.

Heh heh heh - plan vs actual - we'll see. Expect a bumpy ride - more fun than football.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:12 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes. The underperformance of international equities for so many years caused me to abandon them in 2020. If and when they start to show signs of generating decent returns then I'll reconsider... I recognize that I may miss some of the upside but I'm ok with that.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, still holding at about 20% of equities, which is where it has traditionally been.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:38 PM   #133

Quote:
Most of my 100% stock allocation is in international equities, if you count Canadian as international.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:24 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yes. The underperformance of international equities for so many years caused me to abandon them in 2020. If and when they start to show signs of generating decent returns then I'll reconsider... I recognize that I may miss some of the upside but I'm ok with that.
Exactly the same for me.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #135
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Yes. I always went against the advice of the "pros" and never had any and probably never will.

I always figured my VTSAX already held plenty of companies with international exposure.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:12 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Close enough to completely out, 2%. The less we’ve had, the better we’ve done. In my experience, they do not reduce volatility or enhance returns.

For reference I have a five star, well respected 50-70% equity allocation fund (call it balanced for simplicity) that only holds 5%. That should tell you something.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Is anyone staying the course?
Old 05-16-2020, 07:39 PM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

TNBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:40 PM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
I have stayed about the same. Moved a few percent from bonds to 3% CDís because it seemed like what all the cool kids were doing.
No stock selling at all. I got average going in (dollar cost averaging) and Iíll take average going out (whatever that may turn out to be).

Where are you finding 3% on CDís.
TNBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:14 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBigfoot View Post
Where are you finding 3% on CDís.

I had set up some IRAís earlier at Navy Federal with $50 which allowed additional deposits. I recently added $150k each for my wife and I so 300k total at 3%.
RetireAge50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Duplicate from Rodi's poll
Old 05-17-2020, 03:07 AM   #140
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Duplicate from Rodi's poll

Until 2 years ago, was 100% in stocks for the 401k. Of course there were some stomach flips during the Great Recession and Dot Com bust, but held fast during those times because I was blessed with pretty secure employment.

Upon realizing that Sequence of Returns Risk is devastating to early retirees, began to throttle back to a rising equity glidepath (ala Kitces and Pfau) the year before retirement (too late statistically, but I got lucky). In January 2020 rolled 401k to an IRA and took a single lump sum distribution on the most appreciated company match stock accounts and placed that into a brokerage account before turning 59.5 yo. Bulk of the IRA rolled into FUAMX Intermediate Treasury Bond Fund - which has appreciated 7.5% to date since purchase. (Sheer Luck). Immediately after rollover, did our annual expense to cash using Net Unrealized Appreciation from brokerage in January and February in order to capture Long Term Capital Gains. Caught the highs of company Mega. Sheer luck again to catch the highs - but then again the annual bonus structure at Mega is always tied to stock price during Valentines week.

Because I want to harvest LTCG before claiming SS for DW and myself, holding onto megacorp stock in brokerage to gain the 0% tax advantage for a few years. Down from its all time high, but I can always sell out of the IRA next year if that option is more appealing. Its a risk to have such a concentrated stock position in a single company - but it is the utility NextEra. Most people will keep paying their electric bills during the downturn - but I do expect some additional impact on an already high PE stock.

For those retiring early - the NUA and LTCG strategy during an IRA rollover is an awesome tax strategy. Just ensure you do not take any 401k with drawls before the rollover to IRA or you will have to wait for another triggering event to avoid tax consequence (reach age 59.5, disability, and my favorite out - death).

Originally at 40% equity per plan in January, Declining balance in brokerage for mega corp stock coupled with selling some S&P 500 index fund during rebound now has us down to 33% equity. Which allows me to sleep soundly. When stocks become less expensive, I will dollar cost average back into MSCI ex USA index, Russel 2000 index, and S&P 500 index. Particularly with the tiny Roth and go from all cash to all equity in that account.

Its amazing how much my personal risk tolerance changed between accumulation with a steady paycheck and retirement before SS/Pension with drawl phases of investment. The impact is immense.
DW and I are 59/59. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension available but will remain untouched until mid sixties to grow, max SS for DH at FRA or 70. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG next few years. AA 40% stocks, 7% cash and 53% Intermediate Treasury fund. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote