Join Early Retirement Today

Is anyone staying the course?
Old 05-11-2020, 06:01 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is anyone staying the course?

Wow! With all the threads I have been seeing with this pandemic, it seems a lot have sold or got out of markets. I am surprised by the people bailing from the markets.

Just wondering if any have pretty much stayed the course and going to ride it out or even buying more?

I really don't plan on sell or changing my course at this time. I might someday if things straighten out which maybe years from now.

So, is there any other going to hang in there and stay the course?
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2020, 06:07 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

We are staying the course.

I thought earlier of this bailing, as something that might need a poll.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:13 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Haven't done a thing. Buying every two weeks into my 401k. AA has drifted from 60/40 to 45/55. During the runup, I had all contributions going to bonds just to keep up with the rise in equities. I haven't changed that so the combo of the drop in equities and contributions going to bonds has put me out of whack. I may fix that or I may continue to do nothing.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:20 AM   #4

I don't plan to sell or change my course at this time. Still buying in periodically with dividend reinvestment. I'm following my plan not not changing course based on fear.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:22 AM   #5

I have stayed about the same. Moved a few percent from bonds to 3% CD’s because it seemed like what all the cool kids were doing.
No stock selling at all. I got average going in (dollar cost averaging) and I’ll take average going out (whatever that may turn out to be).
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:27 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

We are late 50's-ish and basically staying the course. By "basically," I mean that we actually made a few additional targeted equity fund investments a couple of months ago from cash holdings, which could be viewed as trying to time the bottom (which is stupid, I recognize). Our AA is roughly 60/35/5 (I haven't checked for a couple of weeks).

We have a plan, we're sticking with it, and I'm bullish. None of this is to make light of the staggering health and economic situation underway. I just think we will come out of this stronger than before, with more durable systems across the board (health, transportation, etc.). I'm also a believer in science, so would be shocked if the medical profession didn't come up with a vaccine. I may be wrong in these opinions, of course, and likely am. Even so, we are sticking with our plan.
WyomingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:38 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thanks!!
I was starting to wonder what I was missing and why so many are jumping off the ship. I have no intentions to jump and will buy more as time goes on. I can see some rebalancing and things that are done on a regular bases but to jump because of what is happening, I don't get that thinking.

It is good to see that I'm not the only riding the waves and looking at the long haul and not just what's in front of us.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:41 AM   #8

Staying the course. Rebalancing as necessary to our targeted 50/50 AA.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:43 AM   #9

Staying the course here, 50/50 AA.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:50 AM   #10

Been staying the course here too. I was planning on going in 100% if the market dropped -40%. That never happened, so here I sit 78/18/4.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:55 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I am staying the course. Any selling I have done has been balanced by buying, for rebalancing or tax loss harvesting. It is surprising to me that many investors here only look at their portfolios based on the upside of the market and never model what their portfolios would look like if equities fall 50 or 60 percent - and if that was something they could tolerate.

I am currently at 30/46/24 (equities were 60% before retirement, moved to 40% six months before retirement, and moved to 30% during last years gains). We have now 7-8 years of cash. While DW has taken her small SS, I have not yet taken my much larger SS (for which her spousal benefits will be much larger than her own). These current times have only impacted my retirement by reducing the number of things I can spend money on.

I do not need to "beat the market", I am fine with getting below market gains ("hitting singles" in my view) to balance off times like these, when any losses are manageable and will only impact what we choose to leave to our heirs.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:56 AM   #12

Following my plan, staying at 50/50 AA. Have rebalanced to maintain AA twice so far this year.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:10 AM   #13

Haven't bought or sold anything.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:12 AM   #14

Is there a reasonable and less risky alternative to staying the course? I don't see one.

-BB
Old 05-11-2020, 07:13 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

https://www.fidelity.com/viewpoints/...iversification

Onward and upward. After this recession passes, similar articles to above will be written.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:15 AM   #16

I have been selling individual stocks and moving them into total stock market fund/ETF for quite a few years now. In 2018 I sold individual stocks but sat on the cash thinking that it was the tail end of the bull market.

I started following the news of the virus in early January and actually took extra cash out of the bank around January 10th because of the virus. I thought there could be a disruption to the banking system.

The weekend before the market started to sell off I found an article on the boglehead forum that talked about the supply chain disruptions in China. By that time the virus was already spreading in Europe.

I sold a bunch more stock, some of it I moved into the total stock ETF and some of it I kept in cash.

I am now sitting on a big pile of dry powder (and a lot of capital gains for the year). I felt we were heading into a recession in 2020 before the virus hit based on mfg data and the inversion of the yield curve. I am baffled as to how the markets are essentially at the level they were last August when we've had all this disruption to the global economies and the end point to the virus appears to be a couple of years away. I don't see anyway the stock market isn't going to tank.

If my portfolio were positioned all in index funds/ETFs I think I would ride it out and do TLH. But for now I like having the cash.

It will be interesting to revisit these threads in a year or two. The threads from the 2008-2009 time period are interesting to reread.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:17 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm staying the course, but it's easy for me. 30/70
MikeWillRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:17 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Staying the course at around 50/50 AA, although have done a bit of tax loss harvesting.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:18 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Wow! With all the threads I have been seeing with this pandemic, it seems a lot have sold or got out of markets. I am surprised by the people bailing from the markets.
There have been a couple threads, how is that “a lot?” “Is anyone staying the course” is over the top.

I suspect most here are mostly or entirely staying the course, but they’re not likely to start a thread on maintaining AA. I haven’t bought or sold anything and don’t plan to. If anything I will increase my equity % AA, but I’m in no hurry, not even looking yet.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:22 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Other than making a AA rebalance, I'm doing nothing but watching. Some of the posts are food for thought, but that's it.
AA 50/50
vince is offline   Reply With Quote