Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-25-2018, 01:39 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
You and I are always on the same page.

+1, count me on the same page with you both, in regard to this topic.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
My hope is corporations won't freak out about their stock prices to the point where they have big layoffs "just in case" there might be a recession down the road - which might cause the recession.
Forget your hope, mass layoffs already begun.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/20/reut...ment-says.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/11/reut...d-layoffs.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/04/reut...t-by-2020.html

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-car...om-trump.html/

https://www.autonews.com/article/201...ts-proactively

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-restructuring

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rcing-continue
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
With short to intermediate TIPS looking attractive to me (over 1% real return), I temporarily have shelved the investment grade to Treasury swap strategy. All my movements are in retirement accounts so no tax consequences.

Regarding that swap strategy, the yield curve would have to get flatter to make that Treasury move. It is not a strong function of the yield curve but I'd look for the 10 year - 3 month Treasury slope to drop to about 40 basis points and it was 64 bp last I looked.
You just don’t know how much the long end of the yield curve is being pushed up this time due to the QE unwind.

But it seems like if you wait for the curve to flatten, the corporate spreads will already have widened, capturing some losses in corporate bonds.

If you already moved to TIPs I guess you are ahead of that game.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
So, can someone explain to me why when markets go down your % change. Don't you still have so many shares of equity funds and so many bond funds? The price goes down but don't you still have the same number of shares.

So, if no rebalancing is done, and markets start to rise, then you come back up, then the equity % comes back up to where it was at, right?

I have always just bought and held. I hope this is an embarrassing question for me. LOL
Yes you own the same number of shares, but their value changes. The AA depends on the $ value of each asset class.

If the equity market drops 20%, and you own 50% equities, assuming your fixed income didn’t go up (it usually does) your portfolio is down 10%, and now you are at 44% stocks and 66% fixed income, so you sell some fixed income and buy some equities to get back to 50/50.

If you didn’t do any rebalancing, but waited for equities to go up 25% you would also get back to 50/50. But your rebalanced portfolio would get there a bit faster.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:20 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Remember its all about cashflow. If your cashflow is covering your lifestyle. you don't have to liquidate capital, and you plan to live another 10 years from here you probably shouldn't worry. The only people who lost money in 2008 were those who sold.
timbervest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Well, there certainly needs to be some good news coming out of Washington soon in order to avoid a "manufactured recession".
Why would we want to avoid a "manufactured recession?" I though we were trying to increase our manufacturing capabilities.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:25 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
You and I are always on the same page.

I agree .. the market seems not strong enough to adjust to the rate hike for now. Maybe in a few months it will.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;2162662
Yes you own the same number of shares, but their value changes. The AA depends on the $ value of each asset class.

If the equity market drops 20%, and you own 50% equities, assuming your fixed income didn’t go up (it usually does) your portfolio is down 10%, and now you are at 44% stocks and 66% fixed income, so you sell some fixed income and buy some equities to get back to 50/50.

If you didn’t do any rebalancing, but waited for equities to go up 25% you would also get back to 50/50. But your rebalanced portfolio would get there a bit faster.
audreyh1 >>> thank you. I get a little overwhelmed with all the people doing their re-balancing. So, your explanation is what I thought, what happens. I'm just going to sit this out again because I feel I might do more harm then good if I start selling and buying. Thanks
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 05:56 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
For people whom the market drop changed their aa for equities below target I think now is a good time to rebalance.

(Note. I am not saying your target changed, just that is your target is say 50-50. This 20% drop may have you at say 45/55)
Since we're within 2%, I'm going to take a few deep breaths first before doing anything. I don't have any loss harvesting of significance I can do... yet, so there isn't a rush for this year's taxes.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
So, can someone explain to me why when markets go down your % change. Don't you still have so many shares of equity funds and so many bond funds? The price goes down but don't you still have the same number of shares.

So, if no rebalancing is done, and markets start to rise, then you come back up, then the equity % comes back up to where it was at, right?

I have always just bought and held. I hope this is an embarrassing question for me. LOL
Play with a spreadsheet. Here is a few minutes in Google Sheets. Over 1 yr and share price snapshot on 1/1, 7/1/ 12/31.

eroscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:48 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

eroscott >>> Thank you and I have done a little research on just what you have shown me. I understand how it works and I do tracking but I haven't ever re-balanced in almost 40 years of buying and holding.

Through the years of good and bad my AA usually comes back to around that 75%.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:56 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
I agree .. the market seems not strong enough to adjust to the rate hike for now. Maybe in a few months it will.

It's been 10 years. I don't see how the market is going to magically adapt in a few months.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:15 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbervest View Post
Remember its all about cashflow. If your cashflow is covering your lifestyle. you don't have to liquidate capital, and you plan to live another 10 years from here you probably shouldn't worry. The only people who lost money in 2008 were those who sold.
Agree.
We live off our dividends and they've been fairly consistent over the past 15 years. This year was unusually generous however; we'll likely buy a bit back in soon.

Having said that, 2008 has made me quite sanguine over our current market.

I was nervous at the time of course, but the following recovery has put me in a very calm mode as we came out of that mess (media: "the end of life as we know it") so nicely and so quickly. For me, 2008 was a great learning experience on why to not panic.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:02 AM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
I'm very surprised, almost shocked, that there is so much of this kind of discussion and sentiment on the ER forum. I thought the vast majority of us were like me: "The market is smarter than I am, so my asset allocation allows me to sleep at night and I tune out the noise and stay the course".
Speaking for myself (as a bear, despite the huge bounce in the past couple days)....I'm not losing any sleep over my current very low allocation to U.S. stocks. And I'm not experiencing anything similar to panic. The big reason I've changed my AA is because I could not find ANY credible experts who are predicting anything better than middling returns for the next decade. Even Vanguard, whom most of us respect, has reports on their site expecting far below historical average returns for the next decade. So now that there's actual yield on cash (and I do hard money lending, too, which yields a lot more), the equity risk premium just isn't doing it for me. Historically there's typically a big drop at some point that brings expected returns more in line with 8% - 10% for the next decade so if that occurs I'll up my AA to stocks again. I wish I could just stay the course forever, but having come of age in the dotcom bubble then the housing bubble, my view is that massive central bank engineering is a force unto itself that has major implications for stocks and that the easing cannot go on forever and continue to lift stocks ad infinitum.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

It seems that most of us here who do indulge in some trading are essentially trading large averages. I have always focused on individual stocks, or at times on industry groups. The downside is that there is more volatility and more chance of very big drops, especially in individual stocks. But more extreme price opportunities present themselves at times.

I also like that I can use insider buying/selling as a signpost. Not certain, but helpful.

Overall, stocks is hard!!!

Ha