Is "early retirement" insensitive right now?

Just tell them you can no longer come to the office as you've taken an oath of Solitude until this pestilence is purged from these lands.
Now you're a hero and not a wealthy slacker.

Even my best friends at work said that! It was meant as a compliment. Granted, I was seen as "old enough" to retire. But even if I had been younger, the most anyone would have said was to ask which Beltway Bandit I'd signed up with. And all I'd have to say was "Oh, I'm still looking at offers," even if I wasn't.

Nobody asked me about my pension or anything else financial. I would have been shocked into silence if anyone had. And so would anyone else who was listening.

One person yelled "LUCKY" at me in a meeting, .

I don't worry about what other people think. Perhaps its cold hearted, but to let what others think affect what I do, nope that would drive me crazy. People will always find a reason to have a problem with you, no matter what you do or say. Not everyone is the kind person you find on this forum.

I don't gloat. I don't rub it in. But if someone doesn't like something you do, that's for them to live with.

Be happy for yourself and live.
+1000

Absolutely not. Just go, don't gloat. I left when I was 56, my VP's yelling convinced me to go instead of another OMY. I made sure I personally gave him my resignation stating I was retiring not seeking more money. He was genuinely happy for me but then mentioned he had just gotten divorced at age 50 and his settlement allowed his ex to take most of his retirement.... (oh well that sucks, perhaps he yelled at home too). In any case not my problem.
Your early retirement allows someone else an opportunity, perhaps it's a wake-up, about retirement, for a peer.

Think of it as leaving a job opening for someone else, an act of charity :)

+1

"I think I have enough saved so that I don't have to work anymore, so I'm leaving my job so that someone else can have that income."

In that light, it's selfish not to retire.

I did't glorify it. I just said I had enough of the corporate bullshit, maybe give a couple of good examples, and say we were fortunate to plan, work hard and live within our means for decades to allow us the opportunity.

I did't glorify it. I just said I had enough of the corporate bullshit, maybe give a couple of good examples,

Here is, I think, where one needs to stop. Unless further interrogation ensues, no need to preach self-denial to the masses:

and say we were fortunate to plan, work hard and live within our means for decades to allow us the opportunity.

I retired in 5/19. I said “yes” 3 times from 2014 until 2019. I was asked twice to come back, in the last month. for the team in which I experienced abuse, both emotional and non-violent physical (inappropriate sleep deprivation.)

I said “No”. Never, under any circumstances, give up your own life trajectory for their story. There are 7billion on this planet. They can surely find one that fits their needs more than you.

I did't glorify it. I just said I had enough of the corporate bullshit, maybe give a couple of good examples, and say we were fortunate to plan, work hard and live within our means for decades to allow us the opportunity.

This was my same situation. Just don't rub it in to those with low savings or other circumstances that prevents them from retiring. I worked full time since I was 15, with part-time during school, and paid my way through college on my J-O-B scholarship; so had put in plenty of time in the trenches that most coworkers had no real clue about. Most all people were happy for me; if they had an issue it was their problem, not mine. For OP, no reason to feel any guilt about leaving. Just be polite and leave on your schedule, with a huge smile on your face that last day!

Here is, I think, where one needs to stop. Unless further interrogation ensues, no need to preach self-denial to the masses:
Heh.... Yep, depends on the audience.

Discussion many times turns to how we did it. One person thought we had won a lotto. Another thought parent died, like that would give us the means to retire.... And some thought I had been fired. Even after I left work I understand that some people, given my abrupt departure, thought I was fired. Those on my team then understood why I done some things I had done in the past 6 months as I planned for their success when I left. [emoji4]

So that's the response we give. Also encourages the "youngs" to plan for the future. But I do get your point.

In this season of illness, unemployment and photos of food pantries on every news site, is it insensitive to tell colleagues and customers that I'm retiring early?

+1

It’s not much, if any, different in good times. There’s always people that are happy for you and those that are not. There’s always people that are on the same path and those that are not, some of which may even be jealous. Retiring early is the anomaly no matter what else is going on in the world. Just stay positive and committed and move forward with your plans.

Quick story from my past. I think I was around 40 when a guy I worked with retired at 55 (our required age for retiree healthcare). He was a great guy but more to the point, that made me realize that I could do that, and I did. Though it took me to 57.

Moral of the story - think of yourself as a role model.

Thank you all for your wise and funny responses - jollystomper, I laughed out loud at your post! I will go forward saying that I'm retiring, and I'll leave off the "early" part, since it's largely self-evident. Then I'll run off into the sunset!

I retired at 56. I tell people "I'm Retired" if they ask where I work. I told my siblings and mother I retired. I don't ever say "I retired early" on my own. I let the other people decide if they want to figure out if it was early, on-time, or late. If they ASK me for more details, I tell them more details.

I don't see where unemployment is all that bad. US unemployment rate now at 6.4% and falling. I remember when I was a young man working, unemployment rate was over 10% and no one was handing me any free money, free groceries nor did I qualify for any sort of welfare. Insensitive? I think maybe the press is reporting a little too sensitive about unemployment.

Some people said we were 'lucky' to retire early.

More like we were lucky not to have bought a house full of furniture on credit, lucky not to have bought a new car every two or three years, purchased more home than we could afford, lucky not to have taken a winter vacation every year on credit, lucky to have worked our way though university and lucky to have moved away from mommy and friends in order to move our careers forward. Lucky to have saved a little each year instead of buying trash and trinkets.

Very lucky. But so similar to others who have been lucky to retire early.

Ignore those people. They don't get it. They never will.

Last edited:
I recall sitting in a meeting and I don't recall how the topic came up but I said "I've been in this field 35 years and I'm still learning something everyday". A young gal replied "35 years, why aren't you retired. Let someone else move up".

A year later, I told my managers and co-workers that I had run the numbers and there was no reason why I was spending 3 hours a day commuting for money I did not need based on the last 5 years of expenditures. They were all pretty accepting of it and wished me good luck.

Oh...if people really want to know, then of course you could tell them. (And young people are a good target audience, because the naive ones need the information; the smart ones already know and are using you for confirmation bias).

Have never cared for the sort of "20 questions" you are describing, though.

Let's see, what would Miss Manners advise? "Did you win the lotto..." (ha ha, I wish, treat as joke) "Did your parents die?" (shocked silence, then, faintly, "no...." or "mmyes, years ago, why". "Were you fired" (shocked silence, "Um, No, certainly not." )

At some point, one gets fed up and then the LBYM card is played....

Heh.... Yep, depends on the audience.

Discussion many times turns to how we did it. One person thought we had won a lotto. Another thought parent died, like that would give us the means to retire.... And some thought I had been fired. Even after I left work I understand that some people, given my abrupt departure, thought I was fired. Those on my team then understood why I done some things I had done in the past 6 months as I planned for their success when I left. [emoji4]

So that's the response we give. Also encourages the "youngs" to plan for the future. But I do get your point.

I don't worry about what other people think. Perhaps its cold hearted, but to let what others think affect what I do, nope that would drive me crazy. People will always find a reason to have a problem with you, no matter what you do or say. Not everyone is the kind person you find on this forum.

I don't gloat. I don't rub it in. But if someone doesn't like something you do, that's for them to live with.

Be happy for yourself and live.

^This.

In this season of illness, unemployment and photos of food pantries on every news site, is it insensitive to tell colleagues and customers that I'm retiring early? I've tried saying "I'm stepping back from work to pursue my interests," but that sounds like I'm having a midlife crisis and I'll be back when the money runs out (I'm not coming back).

I think I feel lingering guilt over my success. But I made many sacrifices when I was younger - including shelving unprofitable dreams in order to be a responsible wage-earner - and have been planning for retirement since 1995. It just happens that I'm retiring when other people are not doing so well.

look at it this way. you're making room for a subordinate to move up (and a subordinate to move up, and so on) or for a new outside hire which in turn may create an opening elsewhere and so on. don't gloat...never a good look at any time but neither should you feel guilty.

Last edited:
In this season of illness, unemployment and photos of food pantries on every news site, is it insensitive to tell colleagues and customers that I'm retiring early?

Of course you're not insensitive! This is YOUR TIME to express the situation in a way that strokes your own ego to the max! Aren't you smarter, harder working and better looking than them? Didn't you turn adversity into opportunity? Don't you get something for all your sacrifices? Pour it to 'em, those ignorant, ugly, lazy fools!

Or you could just tell 'em (if you need to tell them anything at all since you're not returning anyway) that you're departing to pursue other paths in life and let it go at that.

I had been planning mine since about the same time as you and the sacrifices we had to make are what got us here. I just retired a few months ago and I never thought to feel guilty about it. Even before covid, if you reveal your success or some of it, there are always going to be people who are are in a good place. Many people aren't doing well because 78% are living paycheck to paycheck and are in debt. I told coworkers that I was going to retire early and they didn't believe me, yet here I am. I admit, sometimes, it feels strange to be in a better position financially when talking to people but I'd like to think that maybe it helps some open their eyes to stop being so complacent unless they wish to work forever. I don't gloat, but I'm not going to hide the fact that I'm happy, grateful and proud of what I have accomplished. And I'd be more than happy to "pay it forward" and help anyone but no one asks. Why should I hide my happiness?

It's not gloating unless you.....gloat. If someone asks why you are leaving, a simple statement that you decided to retire is sufficient. If no one asks, and you do not volunteer such information, then you're not gloating.

I was working only 12 hours per week when I retired, so I was already "nearly" retired. My short answer to the question, "How are you able to retire at 45?" was simply, "No kids, no debts." I had kept it pretty mum to my coworkers except for one trusted friend who was actually encouraging me to retire, often asking me, "Why are you still working here?"

To some other coworkers if they asked me, I would remind them of the exploding value of our company stock, something the company publicized all the time. If they had been working long enough, they also enjoyed that exploding value, even if it were in their retirement saving plan.

Because I had been working only those 12 hours per week (2 days), the transition to fully retiring was hardly a big one because I had already set up a good number of personal activities in the 7 years I had been working pat-time (going to the office 1-3 days a week, working 20 hours per week in the 5.5 years before reducing that to 12).

Another thing I kept mum, for the most part, was how the 2008-09 financial crisis greatly helped my ER and has done so for the last 12 years by presenting me with a huge buying opportunity I did not expect to have when I was planning it in 2007 nd into early 2008. That might have been seen as insensitive, at least at the time. Later on, I backed away from that statement.

+1

It’s not much, if any, different in good times. There’s always people that are happy for you and those that are not. There’s always people that are on the same path and those that are not, some of which may even be jealous. Retiring early is the anomaly no matter what else is going on in the world. Just stay positive and committed and move forward with your plans.

Quick story from my past. I think I was around 40 when a guy I worked with retired at 55 (our required age for retiree healthcare). He was a great guy but more to the point, that made me realize that I could do that, and I did. Though it took me to 57.

Moral of the story - think of yourself as a role model.

I have/had a similar role model.

Back in early 2017, I received a great promotion. I told my manager “great, now I will be able to retire at 58 not 60”. He said “why not 55?”

1.5 years later, that is just what he did. His wife followed when she hit 55.

Seeing someone execute their plan got me and my wife thinking. I will be 55 in June.........

SwaneeSR

Perfectly good answer, to a reasonable question. Loaded questions, like "Did you inherit money?" are something else again.

My short answer to the question, "How are you able to retire at 45?" was simply, "No kids, no debts."

Back
Top Bottom