Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2020, 02:27 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Just don't get a bumper sticker that says "My grandchildren are cuter than your grandchildren." Them is fighting words.
We win -- TKO in the 3rd :

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2020, 02:37 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't worry what other people think. No offense, but folks are too sensitive these days. I laugh at those people. I don't worry about other people's success or failures. I wish them well either way. All I worry about is me or mine. I don't gloat, I'm not green with envy, I just go about my life.. I have a blue collar background and made a decision to stay in a blue-ish(green?) collar career. I don't care about those born into wealth or those who have had significant pressure by parents to go into lucrative careers. MYOB, have a thick skin, and expect others to do the same is how I go through life.

<--happily retired at 47.
FDC319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 02:48 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
We win -- TKO in the 3rd :

Very cute. The one on the left looks a little like your wife?
Old 12-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
This would be an interesting topic for another thread - how much people feel they have sacrificed to achieve ER. It has probably already been the subject of a thread, I imagine. I don't feel that I sacrificed much at all, as I'm naturally wired to save, and not consume excessively. When I see posts by folk talking about how they sacrificed to achieve ER, I wonder whether it was really that hard for them, or whether they're merely feeling a little superior.
Bold by me.

I think sacrifice is too strong a word. Even saying that we "did without" isn't right. We just made choices. My son "did without" $100 Air Jordan's in 1990. Sorry, the cost/benefit was not there. He did, however, get a fully paid education at a pretty good university, with no loans.

We took vacations. Simple at first. Camping in the Berkshires, or a weekend on Cape Cod (off season). We visited family 2-3 times a year. Boston, SFO, Tahoe, STL, Cape Cod. Even took a 3 week National Lampoon European Vacation (seriously, it WAS that bizarre).

We did not get here by sacrificing, but by saving and investing, and the acronym we all know by heart LBYM. That does not mean you cannot have fun, just be a little smart about it.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:51 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Very cute. The one on the left looks a little like your wife?
She's the one to be watched out for, so it's quite probable.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Think of it as leaving a job opening for someone else, an act of charity
I actually do see it that way. I have a number of great people on my team right now and me staying is curbing their ability to rise in my department.
anothercog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:57 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

This is probably how I'll feel, so this is probably what I'll say!

Lienlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:26 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Guilty are you? Of what? What evil did you inflict on humanity to feel guilty about?
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 04:28 AM   #69

Congratulations on your well earned retirement!

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 05:37 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Ants are wired differently from grasshoppers, it's true. That doesn't mean the ant wouldn't have liked to be carefree as a grasshopper. Ants just can't get away from thoughts of the cold hard winter, without anything saved in the nest
Very true. I think that many (most?) of us are not that exceptional, in that we are simply acting according to the way we were conditioned when growing up. The folk I admire, are those who succeed in breaking patterns of destructive learned behavior, and replacing them with new, more beneficial behaviors. Now that is hard work.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
This is the part that other people don't want to hear about. Nobody outside this forum welcomes stories of "what I suffered to get where I am today." (But you can share all the details with us, and we'll even try to top your tale of deprivation).

To the rest of the world, it comes across like telling all the overweight people that they could be thin, if they'd only eat less and exercise more, like you do.
Yep, and those are the same people who will downplay your hard work and success by saying "you don't know how lucky you are!"
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:26 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

No guilt at all. In fact it'll be a sign of encouragement for others to save and get out of rat race early.
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 04:28 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

My Dad did that, long before I arrived. Granted, based on what he told us (and what I surmised, much later on) he only changed because he had to. But that in itself is an accomplishment. Some people will go on pressing the same broken doorbell all their lives.

Quote:
The folk I admire, are those who succeed in breaking patterns of destructive learned behavior, and replacing them with new, more beneficial behaviors. Now that is hard work.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 04:30 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

That's the only way they can stand it. "Luck! It's all luck!"

And they're always partly right about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Yep, and those are the same people who will downplay your hard work and success by saying "you don't know how lucky you are!"
Old 12-25-2020, 06:30 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I stopped worrying about retirement sensitivity a long time ago.

Sorry, I lied. I've never worried about retirement sensitivity.

If ya gotta work, ya gotta work.

As for me I ain't gotta work anymore so I'm gone with the wind -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #76

Quote:
This would be an interesting topic for another thread - how much people feel they have sacrificed to achieve ER. It has probably already been the subject of a thread, I imagine. I don't feel that I sacrificed much at all, as I'm naturally wired to save, and not consume excessively....
We are basically wired like you, and from very early on had a plan to retire relatively early to travel. Others sure thought we were weird though. DW was the only doc who drove a cheaper car than most of her staff. I drove a cheaper car than any other lawyer that I worked with (and most of support staff). And, our conflicting schedules limited our travel (which is why we wanted to retire....).

But, all the kids got challenging schools and highly selective colleges without loans, and our annual week of travel as a couple was generally a pretty nice dive trip. We really didn't feel like we sacrificed at the time--although we sure do enjoy going out to eat every week now, not feeling compelled to always buy generic, and not characterizng grilled Chuck roast as "steak."

LBYM is the key--whether "sacrificial" or not.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:04 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

For all my w*rking life never gave a thought to retirees, ER or otherwise. Having been retired for over 10 years, I never consider if anyone is bothered by retirees, ER or otherwise.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

IF I was considering early retirement at the moment during this covid period the question of whether it would be insensitive would be very far down my list.

Probably right before or right after the question should I buy a vacation home in North Korea or Syria.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

Why is it insensitive if you have donated a job for those much needed?
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if the question could be rephrased as, "Do other people ever have the right, depending on the state of the world etc., to make you feel guilty for retiring earlier than they do?"