Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I get a dozen local farm eggs for $3.00.

A two egg cheese omelet for breakfast is <$1 depending what cheese you add (or other things).

I think we spend more on the coffee than the rest of breakfast.
Let's see. I just made breakfast: wholewheat French toast, local cherries, locally roasted coffee with milk.

2 slices of toast ~ 10% of loaf, say 30 cents.
1 brown free range egg, ~ 50 cents (Canadian hens have pricey tastes)
Chopped up 5 cherries, say 5% of a pannet that cost $2.50, or 12.5 cents (rounded to 13 cents)
Coffee, say 20 cents
Dash of milk, say 5 cents.
Dab of butter in frying pan, 5 cents
Garnish with confectioner's sugar 5 cents
Power for stove and coffee pot, 10 cents
Hot water for washing up, 10 cents

Total cost approximately $1.48

Having breakfast at a restaurant makes no sense unless it's a social event or you don't have time to make it!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #342
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
But were the chickens that laid those eggs given a name? If you don't pay at least $1 an egg, how can you be sure you are getting top quality product?
We named some of the ones we used to have, how does naming your chicken 'The Judge' make its eggs worth more?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...chicken_03.jpg
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #343
Give me a forum ...

What's wrong with peanut oil?

Must only be for fries?

Looks like they have salad. Must be using free range chicken?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #344
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Let's see. I just made breakfast: wholewheat French toast, local cherries, locally roasted coffee with milk.

Chopped up 5 cherries, say 5% of a pannet that cost $2.50, or 12.5 cents (rounded to 13 cents)
Coffee, say 20 cents

Having breakfast at a restaurant makes no sense unless it's a social event or you don't have time to make it!
There used to be a chain of health food restaurants called The Good Earth around here about 20 years ago. They were before the whole organic foods movement.

They had healthy foods for the time, like multi grained breads and so on. Loved it for breakfast but it was things like 3 or 4 egg omlettes and smoothies.

Doubtful it was that healthy, though maybe not as fattening as going to Hobees for similar breakfast fare.

Anyways, multimillionaires should be able to swing more than a couple of bucks for a hearty breakfast?
Old 07-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #345
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

Coffee, say 20 cents

That way of thinking is in line with The Onion's comment on Starbucks adding grilled cheese sandwiches to their menu:

"I’m glad they’re sticking with their core strength of things you could easily make yourself if you just woke up 10 minutes earlier in the morning."

Starbucks Adding Grilled Cheese To Menu | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #346
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
But were the chickens that laid those eggs given a name? If you don't pay at least $1 an egg, how can you be sure you are getting top quality product?
I don't know the chickens' names, but I do know the farmer's name.

It's good to know the farmer. When she's "closed" for the winter, she leaves out a cooler with eggs in it (to keep them warm! works to about 20°). Her regulars can stop by any time, help themselves to eggs, and leave the money in the can inside the cooler.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackanory View Post
Ah, I used to love shredded wheat as a child, back in England ... but only soggified with hot milk! My breakfast for the past several years has been steel cut oats with blueberries -- which comports well with my wheat free regimen.
I realized quite some time ago that being a foodie didn't comply with my LBYM leanings, so I've been mostly successful eliminating that tendency..
Oh, since I just turned 'multi' since retiring earlier this year, perhaps I should reassess the foodie thing!
We pour hot water, that we boiled for tea, over the shredded wheat, let it soak in, then drain off the excess water and add a little cold milk in the bowl. Add the fruit and nuts. Love it!!!
LBYM doesn't mean you can't be a foodie. My friend eats salads, rice and chicken and other economical foods and splurges on more expensive food he likes once or twice a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Maybe they have a peanut allergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I don't know the chickens' names, but I do know the farmer's name.
Grew up on a farm and never named anything we would eat. lol
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Allergic to peanuts.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #349
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Grew up on a farm and never named anything we would eat. lol
If I buy a $180 turkey from a farm it damn well better have a name.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #350
Give me a forum ...

We went out for Thai food today. We had the lunch special with a half off coupon - salad, soup, brown rice with veggies and chicken in a basil sauce. I am not a nutrition expert but it looked pretty healthy.

No cloth table cloths but it had a shrine, a fountain, oil paintings, the table tops were granite with fabric place mats and we looked out over a golf course, so maybe I can get partial credit for not going too plebeian. The bill came to twelve dollars plus tip with great food and a nice lunch date out with my hubby.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #351

Quote:
If I buy a $180 turkey from a farm it damn well better have a name.
"Fool", comes to mind......lol
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #352
Moderator Emeritus

For me, eating is more than just providing fuel for the body. It's part of life's basic pleasures. I did not save my money to eat rice and beans 3 times a day.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #353
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
For me, eating is more than just providing fuel for the body. It's part of life's basic pleasures. I did not save my money to eat rice and beans 3 times a day.
+1
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #354
Give me a forum ...

OTOH, most meals don't have to be culinary experiences.

Just on occasions, to treat yourselves.

Even without LBYM ethos, the idea of having extravagantly-priced meals frequently just doesn't add up. Too many $100 steak meals can't be great for your heart or wallet.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #355
gone traveling

This is not a kind of NW I have but:

One could have 3 Million in equities generating 60k of dividends.
Another lets say 2 million in 401ks and IRAs.

Couple retires at 55 and lives in expensive CA. Couple does not touch any 401k or IRA. The CA health care calculator was telling they can buy nice silver plan for 350 bucks (because they are LOW income). Their federal taxes will be 0. Their CA taxes will be less then 2K.

Then at 65 they get Medicare and don't need cheap Health Care. Hence they can start drawing from 401K and IRAs. If some of it is Roth they can still pay almost nothing in Federal taxes even with 100k income.

If couples has 300k in cash when they retire at 55. with this scenario they have 90k to live on between 55 and 65 and cheap health care and almost no taxes to pay.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #356
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
This is not a kind of NW I have but:

One could have 3 Million in equities generating 60k of dividends.
Another lets say 2 million in 401ks and IRAs.

Couple retires at 55 and lives in expensive CA. Couple does not touch any 401k or IRA. The CA health care calculator was telling they can buy nice silver plan for 350 bucks (because they are LOW income). Their federal taxes will be 0. Their CA taxes will be less then 2K.

Then at 65 they get Medicare and don't need cheap Health Care. Hence they can start drawing from 401K and IRAs. If some of it is Roth they can still pay almost nothing in Federal taxes even with 100k income.

If couples has 300k in cash when they retire at 55. with this scenario they have 90k to live on between 55 and 65 and cheap health care and almost no taxes to pay.
A Bronze plan is even cheaper. In addition to the 400% poverty level MAGI, a couple can have additional income as long as it is deductible from the O-MAGI, like income used to fund an HSA account or income offset by part-time business expenses (unsubsidized portion of health insurance, business travel):

http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/heal..._summary13.pdf

Plus frequent flyer mile hacks and free air miles are not considered taxable income.

Forbes has a good article on how to generate tax free income -

Eighteen Ways To Get Tax-Free Income - Forbes
Old 07-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #357
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
A Bronze plan is even cheaper. In addition to the 400% poverty level MAGI, a couple can have additional income as long as it is deductible from the O-MAGI, like income used to fund an HSA account or income offset by part-time business expenses (unsubsidized portion of health insurance, business travel):

http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/heal..._summary13.pdf

Plus frequent flyer mile hacks and free air miles are not considered taxable income.

Forbes has a good article on how to generate tax free income -

Eighteen Ways To Get Tax-Free Income - Forbes

Good point!!

In a nutshell what I am getting at is that one should very carefully plan his income in such way as to minimise cost of Health Insurance before they get Medicare and minimise taxes over their lifetime.

And you can be worth lot of money and have cheap insurance and not pay taxes once you FIRE.....
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #358
Give me a forum ...

Only silver plans allow cost sharing. Bronze plans don't work for cost sharing.

Silver baby, that is the way to go if you can control your income.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #359

To answer the OP's question, I guess many retired participants here are multi millionaires either in investible assets, pensions rights, or both.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #360
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Only silver plans allow cost sharing. Bronze plans don't work for cost sharing.

Silver baby, that is the way to go if you can control your income.
No HSA that I can see and higher premiums, but they may work for you depending on what you normally spend in medical bills each year.